got a new 460 and a surprise...

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

janesy

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
I picked up a two month used MS460 Arctic a couple nights ago. The previous owner had removed the heated handle and not mentioned that to me on the phone. So I was not overly impressed as it was over an hour in a snow storm. Blah blah blah, the guy through in a bunch of extras to sweeten the deal. One of which was what at first glance was an old 440...long story short it turned out to be an old 064. it pulls over and appears to be complete , so I'm hoping it might be a good project saw one day.

IMG_00000017_zps6af2fb5e.jpg

I wish it were an arctic.

It's in rough shape(064), but When I get a bit of time I'll start checking it out and see what's what. It's still got compression. Apparently it was tossed into a garden shed when the owner died. His wife gave it and a box of parts, along with a torn down 028, to the guy I bought off. And he in turn gave it to me. He made the deal sweet enough with bars and chains and other stuff, but if this saw is salvageable, than all the better. peaked my interest when I found out what it was anyway.

Throwing in a complete 064 is not sweet - it's like being at Krispy Kreme with the light on and having a dozen in the truck with the lid up...you can figure the rest! :D
If you're not thinking of keeping it - send me a pm. I can relieve you of it fairly easily. ;)

I took a much better look at this 064 today, it is not nearly as beat up as I had originally wrote it off to be. It had a full wrap handle on it, but the clutch side may have been cut off. It was stored with Gas in it for a few years I would guess, the old stuff came out bright orange and smelled like varsol like you wouldn't believe, Still cant get the smell off my hands. So needless to say it did not fire. It will certainly need a carb work over. However the good news is the piston and cylinder appear to be in great shape. The compression feels good, my shoulder not so much LOL.

IMG_00000039_zps6591a26f.jpg

You made out like a bandit!:rock: The 064s are much loved for their power to weight ratio, and seem much less common that the 066/660.

I'm starting to thing I did! I was expecting nothing from this saw, certainly expecting to have a burnt cylinder or something wrong with it.

Latest posts

Back