Got an 9010 last night

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MS-310

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
I got an 9010 last night from a guy on this site, I will post good feed back latter. I did a seach on an 9010 and didnt find to much about muffler mods. I need to know what kind of bar it takes and type of chain? Can I use a stihl chain? is it a husky bar? Dam I just dont know to much about what type of stuff to get for it. thanks jack

For muffler mod info, look at the post on the mods on a Solo 694, it's the same saw.

EDIT: A pic of Rich's muffler mod:
attachment.php

Your saw should be very happy with a 3/8"-8 sprocket on bars up to 30", and with that sprocket you should be able to happily run full-comp chain on a 28" bar without too much trouble with chip clearance.

Be sure to post some pics of your saw at work!

It has an 36 bar on it im going to keep but would be looking for a 20" and a 60" bar for it. If I was going to my saw dealer (ace hardware) to get a bar what should I get? Will stihl chain be the same? Im kinda dumb I guess about what gage this stuff is. thanks for the help and I will be needed it.
Jack

MS-310 said:
It has an 36 bar on it im going to keep but would be looking for a 20" and a 60" bar for it. If I was going to my saw dealer (ace hardware) to get a bar what should I get? Will stihl chain be the same? Im kinda dumb I guess about what gage this stuff is. thanks for the help and I will be needed it.
Jack

60" is too much for that powerhead, even with skip chain. 42" is probably a maximum on a sub-100cc powerhead, but even then it's not going to be a thrilling experience. If I were you, I'd think about having a 20/28/36 combo going. There isn't much that can't be done with a 36" bar and a sharp chain, and you'll have a much easier time keeping the saw up in the good part of its powerband!

You will want to buy a Husqvarna bar in the large mount. So if you go in and ask for a bar for a 372, 385, 395, 3120, etc., then you'll be getting the bar that you want for that saw.

You can run Stihl chain or Oregon, Carlton, whatever, so long as it is the correct gauge and pitch for your bar and drive sprocket. Test-fit up a loop before buying a bunch of 'em, though, since in the longer bars you may want an extra drive link added in. Now it is entirely possible that you may not need an extra link, but it is always good to test it out before getting a bunch of loops made up.

The Big Dolmars (6400 and up) take the same bar as the big Huskys and the Josereds. Here are some of the models that use the same bar as the 9010.
Might be a few mistakes in these but you get the idea. I pulled this off an ebay auction.

Of course you must use special Dolmar chain on that saw due to the power factor and cutting speed.

Husqvarna 61,62, 65, 66, 70, 77, 160, 162, 163, 180, 181, 185, 260, 261, 263, 266, 268, 272, 280, 285, 288XP, 298, 362XP, 365, 371, 372XP, 380, 394, 395XP, 480, 1100, 2100, 2101, 3120XP

Jonsered 625, 630, 670 West Coast, 2063, 2065, 2071, 2077, 2083, 2094, 2095, 2163, 2165, 2171

Dolmar 6400, 7300, 7900, 9010

Makita DCS6400, DCS6401, DCS7300, DCS7301, DCS7900, dcs 9000

Solo 603, 662, 667, 670, 680, 690, 694

Special Dolmar chain? Dolmar uses OREGON chain and bars on their saws. I'd say go to the OREGON website and use their fitment charts.

D009 is the last digits of the OREGON bar part number.

BTW,

I have the Makita DCS 9000 (older version of the 9010) with an 8 pin sprocket and a 36" full comp chain and it does real good with no problems. It is the orange GB titanium bar with .050 gauge with the carlton round chisel chain. Don't let them scare you off on the bigger bars.

Remember: Bigger = Better :chainsaw:

I stock all the way to the 42" in the D009 tail. I also have 50",60",72" large mount Dolmar/Stihl in stock but you would have to use spacers and make sure the oiler lined up. I can order 44",50",56",60",72",84" from GB if you need.

Scott

Hope it all works out great for you! What happened to S&S saws stuff on here? Seems I bought bars and chain from him and was always happy... That manual can be downloaded, I can find the link if you need. (check the "usefull links" thread, I think it is in there)

computeruser said:
For muffler mod info, look at the post on the mods on a Solo 694, it's the same saw.

EDIT: A pic of Rich's muffler mod:
attachment.php

Your saw should be very happy with a 3/8"-8 sprocket on bars up to 30", and with that sprocket you should be able to happily run full-comp chain on a 28" bar without too much trouble with chip clearance.

Be sure to post some pics of your saw at work!
When I first saw that muffler mod with the washer welded in the front like that, first thing that I thought of it should be called the MR. BILL muffler mod. OoooNooooo not mr. bill O. :biggrinbounce2:

johncinco said:
Hope it all works out great for you! What happened to S&S saws stuff on here? Seems I bought bars and chain from him and was always happy... That manual can be downloaded, I can find the link if you need. (check the "usefull links" thread, I think it is in there)

I going to look for it.
thanks john

MS-310 said:
I got an 9010 last night from a guy on this site, I will post good feed back latter. I did a seach on an 9010 and didnt find to much about muffler mods. I need to know what kind of bar it takes and type of chain? Can I use a stihl chain? is it a husky bar? Dam I just dont know to much about what type of stuff to get for it. thanks jack

I got a 50" Woodsman Pro bar on my Solo 694 with some microchisel full skip chain and it does ok, you can't lay on it but it takes itself thru just fine... It really kicks but with it's 32" GB Titanium bar and some full comp chain. It works just as nice as any of the big name saws we run. Don't let anybody tell you different you will like your 9010 I'm sure.

johncinco said:
That guy still sales, but sales on ebay only now under SNSSAW.

WOW. I have a real stupid question here, but who in the hell needs a 60" bar? Especially in Michigan, especially for someone who doesn't know what kind of bar his saw takes or what differant gauge chains there are.

My first question still remains as to why you would want to run a 60" bar. There isn't a tree in michigan that can't be felled and bucked with a 36" bar.

If you are into penis envy, well by god, you must have the smallest one on earth. Have you ever picked up a 60" bar? Try that without a power head attached and left me know how that goes for you. Even with a chainsaw mill, you are asking for some trouble with a 60" bar. if you end up with it, I want to see pics and video of you running it, I'm serious.

Depending on the guage of the bar, you can run Stihl chain on it. Stihl chain comes in 058, 050 and 063 gauge in full chisel and semi chisel. The numbers on your bar should tell you what gauge it takes.

Yea it is a 3120.

I always heard the bar length should be twice the log diameter so there would be plenty sticking out the other side.

It was a 48" log so I guess a 24" bar would do, but what fun would that be?

You need something that will both scare and impress the neighbors.:rockn:

Back