Got an ms460. Redundant questions.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
We'll I finally got around to pressure and vacuum testing this saw. If I put 10psi into the saw via the spark plug hole it'll hold for a good 60 seconds before it bleeds down maybe one psi after 60 seconds. While doing the pressure test however I have to fiddle with the decomp valve to get it to build pressure. Once it's too 10psi I can not touch it again. Vacuum wise if I put 10inhg of vacuum to it it'll immediately drop to 9inhg. I put some oil around the clutch side seal and it only drops half an inhg. So I'm assuming it'll need atleast that seal. Should I also replace the decomp valve. I want to check the flywheel side but I do not have the correct puller to get the flywheel off.

Regards-Carlo

We'll I finally got around to pressure and vacuum testing this saw. If I put 10psi into the saw via the spark plug hole it'll hold for a good 60 seconds before it bleeds down maybe one psi after 60 seconds. While doing the pressure test however I have to fiddle with the decomp valve to get it to build pressure. Once it's too 10psi I can not touch it again. Vacuum wise if I put 10inhg of vacuum to it it'll immediately drop to 9inhg. I put some oil around the clutch side seal and it only drops half an inhg. So I'm assuming it'll need atleast that seal. Should I also replace the decomp valve. I want to check the flywheel side but I do not have the correct puller to get the flywheel off.
Regards-Carlo
Running with an old decomp valve is an invitation to frustration. I'd replace it. Some burly loggers who drop start their 046's and 460's throw the dang things away and install a plug.

Honestly I may just install a plug. My 660 only blew 170psi but I never used the decomp on it. I'm just afraid of damaging recoil/flywheel parts.
I think my plan of attack is : new rings, seals, decomp valve, fuel line and filter, impulse line, 28" b&c if anyone could tell me what I should shoot for with base compression id appreciate it. I now plan to keep this saw for a good while so I need to make sure it is up to par.

Regards-Carlo

Back