Got me a Lucas Mill!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

OZDOG

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
Got me a Lucas two weeks ago, extrememly happy about it. It's a v-twin, 25hp, Kohler engine. It has a cut of 8 1/2 inches which can be double if motor is spun and cut in opposite direction. Got slabbing attachment as well which cuts 1.5m wide/(59 1/2inch). Since I got this it made me wonder why you don't see this mill on the site because they are so accurate, fast and extremely fuel-efficient compared to a chainsaw mill. Anyway, check out the pics, they are deador cedar and 2 x blue mountains ash.

I did some milling with a friends Lucas in exchange for tuning up and repairing some of his equipment. it is indeed a very nice mill and supprisingly acurate. I say suprisingly because it has a lot of wobble and flex, or even at best a bit of wobble and flex but it dosent seem to affect the results any. I didn't get a chance to use my friends slabing bar so post some pics and let us know how you like it compared to a CSM.

A word of warning though. Be very careful of the handles on the rail jacks. They can get out of tired or oily hands and come round and let you know about it. I caught one with the back of my hand and it is now two years and just about back to normal. Another guy caught a handle with his face and his hand and ended up with sime stiches to his hand.

the geometry and size of the teeth are different from most saw blades and greatly affect the performance. Make sure your saw shop knows haw to do Lucas blades. I am refering to replacing teeth as I assume you opted for the 12v sharpener that bolts on to the saw for your day to day needs.

Hi bluerider, i did get the 12 volt sharpener. As for blades there is a place that retips and tunes them, they do a really good job,i got 4 blades with the mill so i can rotate them when needed. The slaber cuts twice as fast as a csm and is so easy to push. I will get some when i get some big logs to slab.:biggrinbounce2:

I too would like to see some pics of that slabber in action, curious what it looks like and how it works. Thanks for posting. Good luck with your mill. Let us know where your wood ends up. Are you a woodworker?

Hi Woodshop

the slabbing attachment is easily fitted by just taking off the saw blade and bolting a harvester sprocket directly onto the spindle and the bar is mounted in a jig that slides in and out of the trolley. sounds a bit funny but when i get some photos it will make sense.
as for the wood, it goes into dining tables and coffee tables. love making them, it's a hobby of mine. this is the most recent one that i made for a wedding gift. :biggrinbounce2:

Why a chainsaw mill? Because I've got less than $1500 into all of my sawing gear, and if I would have held off on the 3120, it would be half of that. Chopwood caught me at a weak moment.

I'm guessing that you have a bit more invested in your set-up, as cool as it is. Love to have one, just can't justify the outlay.

Mark

I like the looks of your mill and your wood work. Maybe, once you have a bunch of milling hours you can write down your like/dislikes of your mill. I am going to do this with my mill as well. It is amazing how many ways there are to make lumber out of a log. When you are down to your last few cuts, what keeps the “log” from moving? Thanks.

Ozdog, love your table, love that design. Sturdy...looks like you could park a truck on it and it would take the weight and ask for more. Thanks for showing us that.

I like the looks of your mill and your wood work. Maybe, once you have a bunch of milling hours you can write down your like/dislikes of your mill. I am going to do this with my mill as well. It is amazing how many ways there are to make lumber out of a log. When you are down to your last few cuts, what keeps the “log” from moving? Thanks.

mjr for cutting sized timber with the saw blade all you need to do is put wedges under the log, to stop log roll and thats it,i guess the riving knife that follows the blade stops it from pulling the log. but the slaber you have to secrure the log. thanks

Nice mill! I expect to many more pics!!!:cheers:

A few of the reasons you don't see too many swingers here in the States are small portable bandmills are practically a dime a dozen and are better suited to our abundant, small timber.

I'd love to have one myself with the slabber. Just can't justify the $$$... yet.

Why a chainsaw mill? Because I've got less than $1500 into all of my sawing gear, and if I would have held off on the 3120, it would be half of that. Chopwood caught me at a weak moment.

I'm guessing that you have a bit more invested in your set-up, as cool as it is. Love to have one, just can't justify the outlay.

Mark

i was the same wanted a mill for a couple of years and couldn't afford one so over time i got bits to make a csm. since then people have asked for me to mill timber for them, so my hobby as slowly turned into a small bussiness thats why i invested in a lucas mill { second hand } i wouldn't have come this far without my first CSM !! thanks for the reply

Latest posts

Back