Got me a Makita DCS 6401..What next

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

blubyu

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Just picked up a used Makita DCS 6401 from Home Depot. New bar and chain..$191 out the door. I inspected it thoroughly (as best as I could in the store) and it started right up. I'll be ordering the 7900 kit from Baileys to make this the big saw in my stable. Through gifts and ebay, my current stable looks like this:

Makita DCS 6401
Stihl 034AV
Husqvarna 50
(2) Homelite XL 12...1 with a bow blade
Homelite super EZ

Question is, since I got the saw I will need for big work (makita) and the super EZ does great for limbing, I just need a good 50-60cc lightweight saw. What are your thoughts with the Stihl and Husky? Should I tank them and get a different one? Or can I get what I need out of them. I mainly cut firewood for me (3-5 cords) but I also help out all the locals when it's time to cut wood..Thoughts?

The XL are gifts from my uncle and grandfather, can't get rid of them!

Last edited:
Got me a Makita (Re-post)

This is a repost, somehow my last post disappeared.

I just picked up a used Makita DCS 6401 from Home Depot...new bar and chain, $191 out the door. I inspected it as best I could in the store, it started easily. Looks in damn good condition. Planning to make this by big saw in the stable by ordering the 7900 kit for it. Having gotten this, I think I may need a better/lighter 50-60cc saw in my stable. Current inventory:

Stihl 034 AVSQ
Husqvarna 50
(2) Homelite Super XL (2) extra bow blades as well
Homelite super EZ

I'm going to keep the Homies. They were gifts to me by Uncle and grandfather.

Can I mod the Stihl or Husky or would I be better off getting a different saw. Last post (before being deleted) recommended the Husky 346XP or Jonsenred 2135.

Thoughts?

What's wrong with the 034 and 50?

It seems to me you have the middle pretty well covered. Maybe you should be looking for something small and light like in the 40cc range? Or you could put a super P&C on the 034.

What do I do?

Actually...nothing is really wrong with them...Just thought a lighter saw would be a little nicer...Actually they both cut pretty well. And I was wrong about one of the saws. It's not a Super EZ, it's a Super 2. I love that little saw though!!
By the way.. what is a super P&C?

By the way.. what is a super P&C?

That would be an 034 super piston and cylinder. If your 034 isn't already a super, the super P&C takes you to 61cc, the same as the 036. The extra grunt justifies the weight of the saw.

Back