Got me an Echo CS-450

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FergusonTO35

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Well I won an Echo CS-450 powerhead on Fleabay for $65.00 plus shipping. Supposedly it just needs a starter repair, clutch cover, and bar and chain. Looks like its had some rough handling but not a huge amount of actual use. This saw appears to be of the latest model, the serial tag reads Yamabiko rather than Kioritz. It appears to have a metal crankcase. CS-450's go for $400-450.00 around here, used they are usually $300.00 or so. Did I get a decent deal? What other saws is it comparable to in quality and performance? If anyone here has parts for it they could spare let me know!

View attachment 303625

View attachment 303626

Last edited:
Well I won an Echo CS-450 powerhead on Fleabay for $65.00 plus shipping. Supposedly it just needs a starter repair, clutch cover, and bar and chain. Looks like its had some rough handling but not a huge amount of actual use. This saw appears to be of the latest model, the serial tag reads Yamabiko rather than Kioritz. It appears to have a metal crankcase. CS-450's go for $400-450.00 around here, used they are usually $300.00 or so. Did I get a decent deal? What other saws is it comparable to in quality and performance? If anyone here has parts for it they could spare let me know!

Does it have compression? That will dictate good deal yes or no.

Comparable: any mid class saw in the 45cc class.

Previous owner probably broke the rope trying to drop start a seized up engine, then started to part it out for the rest of his fleet. On the good side, it looks like there is well over $65 in clean parts left to keep your fleet going. Looks like you got a fair deal Massey man.

If the CS-450 has spark & compression, yes you sort of got a good deal. The "sort of" will depend on how cheaply you can obtain the parts you need to complete the saw.

If both the piston & cylinder are toasted, replacement parts could easily drive the repair cost much higher than the value of the saw. I learned the hard way when I bought a CS-440 with a toasted p&c.

https://www.google.com/#output=sear...08,d.aWM&fp=bd20429f2104d3f2&biw=1366&bih=498

Thanks. The seller claims that the saw ran before the rope broke. If the engine is toast Ebay will make him take it back.

Thanks. The seller claims that the saw ran before the rope broke. If the engine is toast Ebay will make him take it back.
Piece of cake to fix that starter rope. Get the saw. I serviced one about a year ago with a dead ignition coil that cost $150 to replace. Two coils are involved and it was impossible to tell which one was bad. Once fixed, the saw ran like a champ and runs today.

I asked the seller if the saw ran before the starter broke and what happened to the other parts. He said that the saw ran just fine until the starter broke. He then put it in his garage and used his other saw. While it was in there someone bogarted the clutch cover and bar and chain so he just decided to sell it rather than buy $100.00+ of parts. So, hopefully I can find a good used clutch cover and chain brake for it.

Piece of cake to fix that starter rope. Get the saw. I serviced one about a year ago with a dead ignition coil that cost $150 to replace. Two coils are involved and it was impossible to tell which one was bad. Once fixed, the saw ran like a champ and runs today.

Just looked at CS450 parts list, only one coil I could see at $68. Where is the other one. Steve

CS-450 is 379.99 and up brand new at any reputable dealer. Anyone whos charging 400-450 is delivering the saw with a twisted inclined plane to the customer. I.E. he screwing them severely. As far as the parts go, check witharea dealers for burned up 450, 520, or 530 saws to scavenge parts off of.

Don't know if matters but the engine on the CS450 a 3 piece clamshell like on the CS440 I think. If Echo had the cylinder bolts screw in from the top that would be a really good design as you could change the P@C without taking the whole engine out but really doesn't matter as the whole engine comes out in 10 minutes. Steve

CS-450 is 379.99 and up brand new at any reputable dealer. Anyone whos charging 400-450 is delivering the saw with a twisted inclined plane to the customer. I.E. he screwing them severely. As far as the parts go, check witharea dealers for burned up 450, 520, or 530 saws to scavenge parts off of.

Right, the CS500 sells for just over $450. Steve

Good news! The saw does run surprisingly well, looks like the guy was telling the truth. I fixed the starter rope and cleaned it up some. I did remove the muffler to inspect and to my surprise the piston and cylinder look to be in excellent condition, the piston even has lathe lines on it. The oiler works well and everything else looks to be functional. I did remove the carb screw caps and modify them to permit full movement as I did on my CS-400. Now just gotta find a clutch cover and bar and chain. I'm planning to go with an 18" bar and Oregon 20LPX072G chain. Any bar recommendations?

Here is the CS-450 with its CS-400 little brother:

View attachment 304362

Last edited:
Ordered all the chain brake and clutch cover parts today at lunch, the total including shipping was $85.56. Just gotta find a bar and chain and she will be cuttin'.

I'm planning to go with an 18" bar and Oregon 20LPX072G chain. Any bar recommendations?

Here is the CS-450 with its CS-400 little brother:

View attachment 304362

I run an 18" Oregon Pro-Lite on my CS-520, with the same chain (or Woodland Pro equiv). Good balance and a pretty good match. (I'm thinking about porting the muffler a bit though.)

Cheers.

Thanks guys. Oregon lists the K216 bar mount for this saw. Anyone know of others that work or could easily be made to work? I have seen listings for the K041 but not on Oregon's website? What is the difference between the two?

okay, one for the dumb question category. I picked up a cs-400 cheap with scored piston and cylinder. Tore it apart and it was a month or so before I got the piston and smoothed out the cylinder.Put it back together but I have 2 black hard plastic washers left over. about a half inch diameter with a quarter inch hole. I've looked at the parts diagram and can't figure out where they go. Always a possibility they are for something else..... The saw runs great.. Any thoughts from perhaps someone who has reassembled one of these recently?

Back