Got my 80 running

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gunnarfan

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
will post some pics of the beasty.. not pretty by any means at this point.. but i did get it to run.. and considering the mystery of its condition and all the parts it needed i'd say thats a good thing.

now i have an excuse to B+C it

this adds to my running list

jonsereds 111s
jonsereds 80 *
jonsereds 70e
Partner P85
David Bradley 360
Homelite super 2 (needs new rope and nut but i'm counting it)
target quickie tile saw...basically the same idea.. different blade.

non running or not together list
mcculloch 39av.... home repot refurb.. hit by a tree.. runs.. needs bar tension
Mac 1-51 has spark.. carb work next.
2 x Micro Poulans... bad coils.. might do something stupid with them
...some Partner thing that had lots of holes drilled into the lid.. farmer or S series.. clutch is sticky.. might just part out..

so the funny part

went to put on the bar and chain after getting some hardware to hold the whole thing together... funny oversight... it didn't have the tensioner...

fortunately scott/northwoods had just what i needed... again.

Gunnarfan;
I'm curious about how yours starts as I have 2 and they are both kickers . What I mean is you really have to hang on to the rope and pull with a positive attitude . As I recall they also have an incredible amount of vibration too. Is yours like that ?

Gunnarfan;
I'm curious about how yours starts as I have 2 and they are both kickers . What I mean is you really have to hang on to the rope and pull with a positive attitude . As I recall they also have an incredible amount of vibration too. Is yours like that ?

Have never used a 80:cry: :cry: , but the 621 ia pretty good at vibe dampening
- why shouldn't the 80 be....:crazy1: :confused:

Good vibe dampening was one of the reasons that Jreds were "state of the art" in the 1970s........

Last edited:
SawTroll
I used to run the 621 , mid to late 1970's and yes it was a smoothie . The 80 on the other hand was at the opposite end of the spectrum. I even went so far as to put pipe insulating foam on the handles . I wish there would be a way to measure it but i don't have whatever it is the manufactures use .

SawTroll
I used to run the 621 , mid to late 1970's and yes it was a smoothie . The 80 on the other hand was at the opposite end of the spectrum. I even went so far as to put pipe insulating foam on the handles . I wish there would be a way to measure it but i don't have whatever it is the manufactures use .

Good info, didn't know that......:rockn: :rockn:

Bama and Gunnarfan, where are you???????

Last edited:
There are a few guys on here that may be able to help you with the tensioner. Scott DesJardins has always done a nice job helped me out with parts for my old saws. You'll find him on here as retoocs555.

Congrats on your saw... satifying isn't it? .. a bit like a really good golf shot, keeps ya' coming back for more! Those old Jonsereds are great saws.

sometimes she gets in a real mood and wants to fight back. when thats the case i put my left knee to the ground.. right foot in the handle and tell her she will start. i also found that my rope for the recoil was fudgy and can stand to be replaced. next thing i'm going over with the 80 is the fuel line and then i'm revisiting the carb. makes a funky sucking sound when i turn it off after some brief use. mind you i haven't gotten a bar on this thing yet as i borrowed the bar tensioner i ordered for it for the 111s.

on my 111s i put on one of those D handles commonly used for racing or on snowblowers (mitten grip). great cheap part and made all the difference.

my 70e never gives me this grief.. unless its really really really really cold... as in below zero F.

also will be posting pics of a great part sourced from a new dolmar that with a few mods becomes a 70s j-red tensioner.

Gunnarfan
I start my 80s like my 920s , pull the sparkplug out , choke/pull starter cord 8 times, put plug in , pull once. Saves on the elbows . My 70 Es are the best for starting ( which must be the norm) and I have 4 runners , which I rotate as my blocking saws unless I am into anything over 20" .

I also have 2- 80's. I just pull the rope out slowly 3 times and hit the switch and choke. I put my foot through the rear handle and give it heck. After it's going, much easier to fire on one maybe 2 pulls. I love these old 80's. I have
1- 111S, and 7- 70E's. I just love this erra of Jonsereds. My 80's have AV
mounts and don't vibrate anything like say an XL-12. I run 24 inch, .404p.,
63g., semi-chisel on one, and 30 inch 3/8p., 050g., full chisel on the other. I have many options on my 70E's. 16" thru 28". Great old saws guys, keep
them going. Bob

SawTroll

In what state are the AV bushings on that 80?

Hi SawTroll
Last time I looked they were in good shape , a snug fit . I have quite a few as when one of my older saw "puked" I would strip everything salvageable. I really should take a look at how the new Jonsy/Husky mounts attach as I would definitely consider replacing the old ones with springs. It seems odd but of the 621. 70, 80 and 90 , the 80's were far and away , hands down ,the worst ! Maybe it was a timing issue . I never checked that , just ran em' .

bill g is the best

i'll take you up on most anything you offer. if you don't get a bite on that 80.. or the other i mentioned in a pm let me know.

Latest posts

Back