Got some Red Oak today

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
jrr344

jrr344

Addicted to ArboristSite
1108041429a.jpg 1108041429-2.jpg
Got some wood today loaded my 18Ft trailer with 30" sides and the bed of both my pickups with red oak, it was a standing tree that died last year. I would say it was 36" at the base and probably 60-65 Foot tall, I cut it with my ms660 with a 36" bar it pulled it great, and split it into small enough pieces to load by hand. Hopefully tomorrow I will split it the rest of the way with my horizontal splitter and stack it.

jrr344

jrr344

Addicted to ArboristSite
I was thinking about getting one of those wedges to use with my Wilton 8 lbs sledge. How do you like it?
It works good for me but I have not tried any other splitting wedge, but I have also had it for 5 or 6 years and use it often in big stuff.

jrr344

jrr344

Addicted to ArboristSite
Did you run your Shindaiwas?
No shindaiwas today just stihls I had to use my 660 because of how big it was and my 440. All the limbs had already fallen off since it has been dead for a year so there wasn't any small stuff to cut, i brought my 488 just in case though.

Locust Cutter

Locust Cutter

Sawing for Sanity
If I keep getting this big stuff I am going to give in and buy a vertical splitter.
They're not worth the pain. Once you thrown out your back while trying to horse around a 36-40" round, around to get it into a splitter you'll lose your affinity for it. Not to mention the horrible work height. I'm actually going out today to retrieve some Red Oak from a friend's ranch that's 34-38" through the trunk. I will quarter them with either my 372 or 9010 and then they become MUCH more manageable. My Speeco is a vert/hyd splitter, but it's almost never used vertical anymore. It's just too hard on the back. The other thing you could do (a bit of $$$) would be to mount a small, swiveling gantry/cherry picker on the back of your truck. You could easily pick up big rounds and load them on a splitter that way.

I didn't mean to be negative Nancy, rather I thought I'd give you a different perspective and maybe save you some $$$ and heartache.

jrr344

jrr344

Addicted to ArboristSite
Anytime you scrounge that much good red oak it deserve a big YOU SUCK.

So far the majority of wood I scrounge has been Elm. As if firewood wasn't enough work alone, now toss in the fact that it's Elm, FML.

Well this is my second haul of red oak, I got two trailer loads about two weeks ago from another guy I know.

jrr344

jrr344

Addicted to ArboristSite
They're not worth the pain. Once you thrown out your back while trying to horse around a 36-40" round, around to get it into a splitter you'll lose your affinity for it. Not to mention the horrible work height. I'm actually going out today to retrieve some Red Oak from a friend's ranch that's 34-38" through the trunk. I will quarter them with either my 372 or 9010 and then they become MUCH more manageable. My Speeco is a vert/hyd splitter, but it's almost never used vertical anymore. It's just too hard on the back. The other thing you could do (a bit of $$$) would be to mount a small, swiveling gantry/cherry picker on the back of your truck. You could easily pick up big rounds and load them on a splitter that way.

I didn't mean to be negative Nancy, rather I thought I'd give you a different perspective and maybe save you some $$$ and heartache.

Well thanks for the advice, I was thinking of renting one just to see if I would like it.

Latest posts