Got to ride the BIG crane!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Fun times! I was looking at the first pic of that guy walking around his site and thought, that would be sweet if you were back in them weeds laying the back cut in and seeing the look on his face when it was comming right at him. He'd have to change his Dockers. I see you took the safe route.:)

I had a great day on Friday, I was subbing on a massive Phoenix Palm removal at the back of a construction site.
I got to ride the man cage and the hook on the biggest mobile crane on the Island - 126ton (close in) with over a 300' reach.
In between lifting AC units to the roof, it lifted me to dismantle the 65' monster, all the fronds off, fell out the head, then a section of trunk. Then I went up on the hook, set a big strop, and we cut the rest of the trunk in one, what was left weighed 6 tons.
All the office workers lining the windows, all the construction workers watching...Got it done, no damage, no injuries!

I've been waiting for a ride in one of those cranes forever, but rarely does a tree job justify one so huge. I'm waiting for that job!:cry: Hope you're feeling better.

Chingas, this thread got bumped!

Tom, that palm was in Hamilton, directly opposite City Hall car park on Church Street, behind the Washington Mall, so that puts it between Church Street and Reid Street...

This was the first crane job I did and so far the only one! Just my luck I got the biggest, hugest, most massive one on the Island! Crane that is...mind you the palm was the largest canary island date I've ever seen...
The crane was coming into the site anyway, to lift AC units onto the roof of the next building, so they took advantage of it being there to get rid of the palm.

Last edited:
Chingas, this thread got bumped!

Tom, that palm was in Hamilton, directly opposite City Hall car park on Church Street, behind the Washington Mall, so that puts it between Church Street and Reid Street...

This was the first crane job I did and so far the only one! Just my luck I got the biggest, hugest, most massive one on the Island! Crane that is...mind you the palm was the largest canary island date I've ever seen...
The crane was coming into the site anyway, to lift AC units onto the roof of the next building, so they took advantage of it being there to get rid of the palm.
i was thinking the crane was there fer other things dew to its size, with the right chokers id would have cut her from the bottom, looks like there was plenty of room and more than enough boom, i have very limited experience with palms, they look top heavy with all that head. good job. you live in a tropical paradise:) what was the weight of the pics?

Last edited:
thanks bernie that's my favorite island keep up the good work the CRANE JOBS HERE ON LONG ISLAND ARE A PAIN TO no room to work tom trees:cheers:

Latest posts

Back