Grading softwood dimensional lumber

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AK Steve

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
Where I live there is a massive amount of beetle kill white spruce, which could easily be sawn into dimensional lumber. The IBC requires that all lumber be graded. I could likely learn to grade lumber, and I've been told I may be able to approve lumber by virtue of being a licensed engineer (not sure I believe or like that idea). I'd much rather have a pile of lumber stacked up and pay someone to come grade it and put a grade stamp on it. Has anyone here done anything like this?

No experience, but I know guys taking down smaller stands of fir and cedar locally will bring a guy out to grade before they’re hauled to the mill, or before they are cut down as well. Some long straight timber can fetch good money.

I’m assuming he is setup to output a mass amount of lumber that would interest commercial yards? Quite the serious outfit it sounds like!

Buddy owns a woodmizer and happens to be building a house now.. with the stupid cost of dimensional wood he opted to cut his own. A person we both know has a grading ticket, so it cost $100 for the guy to come out and have a look/ sign a document certifying the wood.. Woodmizer guy said when the inspector showed up he spent more time admiring the full dimension fir studs than anything else..If your going to be full time milling and have customers that will pay for certified boards (plus a place where you can dry/store) a ticket might be worthwhile, otherwise just pay someone.

Buddy owns a woodmizer and happens to be building a house now.. with the stupid cost of dimensional wood he opted to cut his own. A person we both know has a grading ticket, so it cost $100 for the guy to come out and have a look/ sign a document certifying the wood.. Woodmizer guy said when the inspector showed up he spent more time admiring the full dimension fir studs than anything else..If your going to be full time milling and have customers that will pay for certified boards (plus a place where you can dry/store) a ticket might be worthwhile, otherwise just pay someone.

That's what I'd like to do. I need to figure out who that person is.

You realize Steve, everyones opinion on here is just that - you can do this, do that - You need to go to your local building dept. or inspector and see what they require. This varies from state to state. My opinion, beetle killed spruce is already compromised for strength, it has or had bugs in it. You might want it for siding, but i'm not sure anyone is going to approve it for structural framing. You might use it for a barn or outbuilding, but run it by a homeowners insurance agent - see how fast they run the other way. Here in the sue happy state of Ct., the inspectors check everything, there is no gray area anymore. Also - a grader of hardwoods looks at whats clear, fas, whats #2, etc, they don't grade for strength.

Back