grading stamp

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

spencerhenry

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
how does one go about getting a grading stamp and certification? i want to be able to grade my own products so that i can sell them for structural purposes.

how does one go about getting a grading stamp and certification? i want to be able to grade my own products so that i can sell them for structural purposes.

I have no idea, I would start a google search on it any start digging there, or visit a lumber yard and ask questions. My gut feeling is it won't be cheap.

I would start with your area trade organization. Here it is NELMA, (Northeast Lumber Manufacturer's Association). I'm sure there is something similar in your part of the company. It may be as simple as hiring a qualified grader to come in and grade and stamp your lumber. And then again....

Around here you have to take a course to learn about gradeing lumber. Then you are required to pass a test to get your cert...

Rob

Im pretty sure

the state of NC recognizes this stamp for structural lumber as well. A lot of buildings in the mountains are built with poplar lumber. THere have been some issues with inspectors and the building codes.

I am no expert in this by any means. I thought I would post this as a starting point.

You can grade and stamp your own lumber provided you are willing to accept the responsibity for it. Softwood grading is quite different than hardwood but regardless, if you grade it to the softwood grading standard, then make sure your stamp has all the required information on it you can do it your self.

I know a few guys that do it and have no problem at all.

Latest posts

Back