Looking for a new chainsaw.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Andrew15

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Hello,Andrew from Romania here.

So,rigth now im looking for a new chainsaw as winter is coming and so is the need for firewood.And the thing is that my little 38cc/14 inch saw just can't really handle the work plus somethimes i come across some thicc logs(18 inch/45 cm) and up so my little Husqvarna is really struggling so if i could get some recommandations i would be great.
Requirments:
No more than 60cc's
Husqvarna or Stihl THANKS IN ADVANCE :)
Being able to handle 20 inch bars
No less than 50cc
Preferably a pro grade saw.

Yeah,but its also about the prices,i mean my Stihl dealer asks for 892 usd for a Stihl MS 261 C-M while my husqvarna dealer ask for the same price on the 562 Xp so yeah....pretty "intersting situation.

Hmm thanks,its also pretty light for its power,the powerhead weight of the 261 is the same as the husqvarna 120 mk2 which is a 38cc.

Thanks again but i was also considering the 562 XP,and that mainly because the following year me and my granpa got some medium to big sized trees to fell and not only that but i heard that the Stihl MS 261 doesn't have the best balance and that husqvarna chainsaws have a way better balance that comes in handy when limbing,and i grew up quite a lot since i posted "True Tragedy" as i had my uncle to train me and since he is been a logger for 20 years i think i can take is advice.

Andrew,
I know you have stated nothing bigger than 60cc saws as a guideline, but I have a 362cm Stihl and a ms400. The ms400 is as light as the 362, and easily works twice as hard. I would recommend it even at the exorbitant price due to the pro saw build, not too far over 60cc, and a truly versatile in any cutting environment. Buy once, and forget needing another saw or two for many years to come.

What about used/older saws?
I couldn't agree more than singinwoodwacker said! You need to stop looking at this overpriced new crap! And take a little stroll back in time at least 25 years and get ya a good older saw! Hell Andrew! I have currently 138 vintage chainsaws, And one of my favorites is a 1986 Husqvarna 266xp from Slavaina and assembled by Tomos. The thing is a hog slayer my friend! I took the stock 224 carburator off and installed a 255 off of a 272K demo saw i picked up for 10 bucks,drilled a couple of holes in the exaust pipe right between the two bolts that hold the exaust to the cylinder and that woke up the old boy! And anybody who knows what he is talking about will tell you that the 266xp is one of the best firewood saws that was ever made! And I just picked up a Jonsered 630 super off of free Craigslist that is almost brand new chainsaw and I already have it purring like a lion! I can assure you that anything you purchase today will not run away from alot of the older saws i own! I have a Husqvarna 61 300th anniversary model that I purchased for $60 dollars, two Sachs-Dolmar 120 supers that are awesome chainsaws! I bet i could do those same mods on a 60cc saw, sell it to you for half that absorbent price you quoted that they are asking for that plastic shiny piece of doo doo! And even shipping it halfway around the world you would still save several hundred dollars and i guarantee that you would be way happier with your purchase! The only problem with the saws i fiddle around with is you keep laughing and smiling so damn much that you're bound to get chips in your mouth from not being able to stop having a kick in the pants with it! 😋 I love nothing more than to disturb the peace around my neighborhood because everyone knows exactly who is cutting because there ain't nobody else around for at least a couple of miles that has anything that sounds as obnoxious as that 266xp sounds! Not bragging, just stating a fact! The saw does all the talking all by itself! And it says, There's a new sheriff in town boys! 😉

Balance is just as much a function of the bar length as it is the weight of the power head.

I also run older saws. Having said that, I don't mind wrenching on my saws. That doesn't mean that the older saws are more prone to break. It just means that when something finally wears out, it doesn't bother me to fix it. If I were looking at new saws, I'd look at a 261 or 400 depending on the size of wood I was normally going to cut. If the overwhelming majority is under 16", I'd opt for the 261 with a 16" bar, and then have a 20" bar as a back up. If the bigger trees you're going to cut next year are over 20", get a new 400. In a few years, upgrade your small saw with a used 261 and you'll be done. If you heat with firewood, its a good idea to either cut with a buddy, or have 2 good saws IMHO.

So,rigth now im looking for a new chainsaw as winter is coming and so is the need for firewood.And the thing is that my little 38cc/14 inch saw just can't really handle the work plus somethimes i come across some thicc logs(18 inch/45 cm) and up so my little Husqvarna is really struggling so if i could get some recommandations i would be great.
Requirments:
No more than 60cc's
No less than 50cc
I know you said stihl husky, but I love my echo 620pw it is a pro grade saw, and has been flawless for two years now ,and is much less money than the stihl husky equivalent.

Something that I don't think I've seen mentioned yet. If you're just now getting your firewood cut for this winter, there's a good chance that you're not going to end up with enough firewood that's dry enough to use for heat for this year no matter what saw or saws you go out and buy.

I know you said stihl husky, but I love my echo 620pw it is a pro grade saw, and has been flawless for two years now ,and is much less money than the stihl husky equivalent.
Also heavier, Echo makes a great saw at a great price point for sure. Not in the same league for power to weight. Echo is great for the old school tech and cost but if you’re looking for power and weight echo doesn’t make the list. You couldn’t give me a husky, Stihl all the way.

Also heavier, Echo makes a great saw at a great price point for sure. Not in the same league for power to weight. Echo is great for the old school tech and cost but if you’re looking for power and weight echo doesn’t make the list. You couldn’t give me a husky, Stihl all the way.
I agree on weight my echo weights almost as much as my 441, with 10 less cc.

Requirments:
No more than 60cc's
No less than 50cc
A 261. I'm 14c and the 261 c-m is my ride or die.

They only saws I'd reccomend in the 60cc class is the 562xp and the ms400c. Loved my 562xp when I had it, hot rod of a saw. The 400 out cuts it and weighs the same. Wouldn't even look at a ms362. Not worth the cost over the 562xp. If you're going to stay with predominantly 18" and under the ms261 or 550xp would serve you well.

Latest posts

Back