Grapple setup for non-commercial use?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wdchuck

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
Is there a grapple setup that exists for non-commercial use, could be mounted to a 12' trailer. Most of my firewood sources come from private land, and not having a 4x4 vehicle limits my access, but a grapple would save on the labor considerably.

Is there a source for used components that I cobble something together?

Does this seem reasonable or am I barking up the wrong tree with this notion?

Thanks

I did a search here on grapple, and found another thread very similiar to what I'm asking, but am still interested in a mechanical helper that is along the lines of a grapple or clam setup.

you can buy small grapples to be mounted on a trailer. I think there is a co out of mn that does those. you could probibly just google it and they'll come up.

Question is what will be your powersource for the hydraulics if it's not connected to a truck? Maybe someone on here owns one that can tell ou how it works.

Guess one of these small units would be ok for you if you're just picking up little stuff every once in a while. If you're clearing larger stuff and transporting it whole I wouldn't suggest one of these. Go for a real grapple truck.

I started with an old boat trailer and mounted a Bailey's grapple on to it.Used a 4wheeler to pull it and built a hydrolic unit to run the loader. It worked well,but I wished I'd bought a loader with a longer reach, 9' isn't much.

Some of the wood I cut for firewood is in tough spots for me to get out once down. This brings me to a helping arm as it were, if I can lift/ drag larger lengths up and out it will go fast. Getting a grapple truck would probably require a CDL, where as a grapple on a trailer keeps my usage options open, and the associated costs are less, although I agree a properly equipped truck,used, would be the best way to go, and should the opportunity present itself to acquire one, I will consider it more, that and a bucket for greater safety.

Ed K, I'd like to hear more about that setup, and any pics you have would be great.

I am trying to increase safety, and efficency like anybody else. Any help with finding a solution is greatly appreciated, thank you.

Without 4x access the grapple trailer is probably a moot point.

I have one of the Bailey's/JMS set-ups. 16' log capacity, can hold about 2-2 1/2 cords of logs, grapple has 19' reach off center and the hydraulics are powered by an 11 hp Honda.

It works awesome if you can get it to the wood or get the wood to it. 19' is a lot less reach than it sounds.

They do sell smaller versions to fit the need.

Husky 137, I searched Bailey's for JMS, nothing came up, did you mean JMK?perhaps. The only grapple setup I saw was the ATV trailer/grapple. A little weak, but might suffice, but what a price tag, the idea is right for me, but the grapple only, and a 12' x 6-1/2' tandem is what I'd mount it on, I wonder how difficult it would be to make something like that, since it's for personal use. A good winter shop project.

No, the manufacturer is JMS out of Quebec.

Bailey's is one of those funny companies that brand everything with their name even though they don't make any of it. Poke around the website some more and you will find the stuff. They don't make any of their house branded woodsman pro stuff.

Grapples are pricey regardless of where you get them and there really isn't any such thing as "non-commercial" and if there was I'm sure it wouldn't be worth the expense.

I'm sure you could rig something up yourself but what's your time worth. I'd rather plop down some cash and get to work. Mine has moved several hundred cords of logs in the last two years and paid for itself many times over in saved labor, increased productivity and versatility.

Sound advice, I will continue poking around, the more I looked at it, buying would be better, and yes, get the work done.

Thanks.

wdchuck said:
A little weak, but might suffice, but what a price tag

Do you have a budget number in mind?

wdchuck said:
I wonder how difficult it would be to make something like that, since it's for personal use. A good winter shop project.

Take it from someone who manufactures grapple trucks, you don't want to be making them on your own. There are more metal fatigue, frame, and tipping issues than you could ever imagine that need to be taken into consideration when constructing one of these things.

I'm not allowed to endorse this, but you could buy and old FL grove goat and put a grapple bucket on it. They are not road worthy vehicles since they're made for driving around in orange groves, but doesn't matter if you're just staying on private property with it. They usually have them listed in "Southern Equipment Exchange" magazine that they distribute here in fl. I'd give you the link, but their website seems to be down. http://yellowpages.superpages.com/profile~SRC_portals~LID_HBaW7F+8i9R+M03Eqt5Nxw==~lbp_1.htm

I'll see if I can find a picture to show you what I'm talking about.

Budget?, nothing set in stone, but I don't get paid for this, the wood is the trade payment, so if I can put something together for 5k that would be pretty good, considering my usage, and keeping maintenance/operation costs low. If poeple see what/how I do stuff and come to me then I'll be able to start asking for payment of somekind and I'll leave the building/engineering to the pros.

I saw that there's a grapple attachment for a 3-point, that would mean getting a compact 4x4 tractor(30hp or so) and at 600+lbs that reduces the lifting capacity of 3-point, so in that case a short boom might do it for stuff I can get real close to, and the loader frame could probably pull stuff up and out, in steps but better than dragging in the dirt.

The compact tractor/loader 4x4 30hp can be found used for around 5k, and the boom could be purchased or fabricated, no moving parts there. Add in some chains and I should be okay, and it's light enough to be transported on the same trailer that will haul the wood.

Lightningloader, I'll search for a gg and see what I can find.

I want to look at every avenue, going too cheap or chintzy up front never works out, either something fails when you need it most or there's a near-miss, also, if a guys setup looks too hoaky then landowners get anxious. That's why this was the best place to ask the question, if there's a way to move wood well and safe, the members here would know about it.

Thanks.

I few years back I was hot to trot to get a small log loader trailer. I got to demo a Patu and was extremely impressed. I tried another brand and was less than impressed. Do a search on Nokka, Farmi, Berco, Patu, Harper and Lacosse, they all make small grapple loaders. The price of the new rigs was out of my range $16K+. Last year I was driving down the road and there was a used rig for sale. I pulled in asked to hook it up the the guys tractor and tested it. I asked him the price and told him I would be back with the cash. I am not sure what brand it is. A week later I found another one...just my luck after years of searching. This year has been crazy and I haven't cut much wood and I don't have a farm tractor so I have not really used the unit. Although, I have towed it around the yard and operated it a bit with my skid steer. My plan for now is to make a hydraulic power pack and tow it with my truck as well as the skid steer.

wdchuck said:
Budget?, nothing set in stone, but I don't get paid for this, the wood is the trade payment, so if I can put something together for 5k that would be pretty good, considering my usage, and keeping maintenance/operation costs low.

Lightningloader, I'll search for a gg and see what I can find.

Now that I have an idea what kind of budget we're working with I understand. There is still a possibility that you could afford a used goat I think. I'll keep an eye out for you around here and watch the mags and see if anything comes up.

Good luck to you.

Throwing out a big chunk of change for a tool is a much bigger deal when there is no potential revenue stream to justify the expenditure.

Stop working for wood.:D :givebeer:

Lightning Loader, thank you.

My motivation is pay for LP gas and have a $800 bill per month, or work for wood keep the house warm and only pay related gas/oil expenses. One full day of wood work heats my house for a month, no way I'll make that $$ in a day, ever.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back