Great Deal and questions on a VC Defiant Encore 2190

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
the westspartan

the westspartan

Addicted to ArboristSite
So I just picked up a VC 2190 stove, that looks to be in really good condition, with 7+ feet of 8" stainless class A chimney and six+ feet of what looks to be, high quality single wall pipe for ..........$100!!!!

Seems like a good deal to me. The guy I bought it from flips houses and it was in his most recent purchase, that was a bank foreclosure. He knows nothing about wood burning, so when he re-roofed the place he pulled out the stove and chimney and threw it up on Craigslist for $100. I just got it home and haven't really looked it over too well because it is late and cold, but the cat looks to be in good shape, no cracks or buildup or distortion. There is a little tear in the refractory material that is above the cat that can be seen through the vent opening. I am sure that will have to be tended to but I plan on going all through it before I install it in the A-frame that I am building as an addition onto the yurt we are currently living in.

I have a newer VC Encore that is a non-cat model. I bought this stove new three years ago and I love it. We have it pretty well dialed in in terms of operation.

The new stove is a catalytic stove and I have a few questions about that. The new stove came with a good bit of pipe that seems to be in good shape. But not enough for what I will need. It is 8" diameter and is Hart and Cooley brand. I know I will have to buy more that is the same brand if it is to be compatible.

1. Is Hart and Cooley high quality pipe?

2. Is it advisable to sell the pipe I got on craigslist and just buy everything I need new, or should I use this stuff and add to it?

3. Does a cat stove require 8" pipe?

4. Does 8" pipe give a stronger draft? (my only experience is with the 6")

5. Any thoughts or info is appreciated.

Steve NW WI

Steve NW WI

Unwanted Riff Raff.
I don't know anything about your particular stove, but congratulations on a heck of a deal. I've never heard of Hart and Cooley before tonight either, but they're still in business, and if it's their TLC pipe, they still make it. Their website (hartandcooley.com, who'd have guessed? :D ) has a dealer/distributor finder, I'd suggest getting in touch with someone local.

8" pipe is usually only used on the biggest stoves and inserts, and is more common on wood furnaces. I'm not going to say 6" would be enough, but envisioning an A frame with interior chimney, you're going to have a tall stack that should draft well and if I had to guess, 6" would work.

I think I'd stick with what you have, run singlewall up to close to the ceiling, and run the spendy insulated pipe through the roof and above. The H&C website has manuals you can download too, to see how close to the ceiling you can use singlewall, etc.

the westspartan

the westspartan

Addicted to ArboristSite
I don't know anything about your particular stove, but congratulations on a heck of a deal. I've never heard of Hart and Cooley before tonight either, but they're still in business, and if it's their TLC pipe, they still make it. Their website (hartandcooley.com, who'd have guessed? :D ) has a dealer/distributor finder, I'd suggest getting in touch with someone local.

8" pipe is usually only used on the biggest stoves and inserts, and is more common on wood furnaces. I'm not going to say 6" would be enough, but envisioning an A frame with interior chimney, you're going to have a tall stack that should draft well and if I had to guess, 6" would work.

I think I'd stick with what you have, run singlewall up to close to the ceiling, and run the spendy insulated pipe through the roof and above. The H&C website has manuals you can download too, to see how close to the ceiling you can use singlewall, etc.

Are there any downsides to running the eight inch pipe verses the six inch, other than initial cost and clearance? Before I picked up the stove and pipe I assumed I would use six inch, but when it came with all of this eight inch I started wondering.

mellow

mellow

ArboristSite Operative
Some of the larger cat stoves require an 8" pipe, you will get smoke spillage when you open the door if you go smaller and it might stall the cat with to much smoke. Mine is rated for 6" or 8", just depends on the cubic ft of the firebox in the stove. Only difference is a lot of older stoves like the 2150 pretty much all came in 8". If it was me I would clean it up and relist it on CL and make a few bucks.

the westspartan

the westspartan

Addicted to ArboristSite
Some of the larger cat stoves require an 8" pipe, you will get smoke spillage when you open the door if you go smaller and it might stall the cat with to much smoke. Mine is rated for 6" or 8", just depends on the cubic ft of the firebox in the stove. Only difference is a lot of older stoves like the 2150 pretty much all came in 8". If it was me I would clean it up and relist it on CL and make a few bucks.

Are you talking about selling the stove or the pipe? or both?

cheeves
So I just picked up a VC 2190 stove, that looks to be in really good condition, with 7+ feet of 8" stainless class A chimney and six+ feet of what looks to be, high quality single wall pipe for ..........$100!!!!

Seems like a good deal to me. The guy I bought it from flips houses and it was in his most recent purchase, that was a bank foreclosure. He knows nothing about wood burning, so when he re-roofed the place he pulled out the stove and chimney and threw it up on Craigslist for $100. I just got it home and haven't really looked it over too well because it is late and cold, but the cat looks to be in good shape, no cracks or buildup or distortion. There is a little tear in the refractory material that is above the cat that can be seen through the vent opening. I am sure that will have to be tended to but I plan on going all through it before I install it in the A-frame that I am building as an addition onto the yurt we are currently living in.

I have a newer VC Encore that is a non-cat model. I bought this stove new three years ago and I love it. We have it pretty well dialed in in terms of operation.

The new stove is a catalytic stove and I have a few questions about that. The new stove came with a good bit of pipe that seems to be in good shape. But not enough for what I will need. It is 8" diameter and is Hart and Cooley brand. I know I will have to buy more that is the same brand if it is to be compatible.

1. Is Hart and Cooley high quality pipe?

2. Is it advisable to sell the pipe I got on craigslist and just buy everything I need new, or should I use this stuff and add to it?

3. Does a cat stove require 8" pipe?

4. Does 8" pipe give a stronger draft? (my only experience is with the 6")

5. Any thoughts or info is appreciated.
The guy that can answer you questions is AS member rooftopcrew! I used a Defiant one winter in Amesbury, MA!! Great stove!!

kentuckydiesel

kentuckydiesel

ArboristSite Operative
I'm running a 2190 with 8" pipe 4' up to a 90 into a 8"-6" reducer which goes into my brick chimney then into my 7" SS liner and out the top. Would have gone all 8", but this was all I could do in my chimney.

That said, I have great draft. No problems whatsoever.

-Phillip

Latest posts