Great ideas to keep the firewood the same size

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Icehouse

Icehouse

ArboristSite MVP
I cut all my wood even because I have set my wood splitter up for a specific size. If wood is to long won't go in splitter, only like 1 1/2" clearance between pusher and splitter. This shortens up cycle time because cylinder doesn't return full 24", also let's me do something else while ram returning. :rock:

turnkey4099
I'm just old and cranky don't like new things, had the same stick for 30 yrs. bought a box of lumber crayons and a holder when I bought my stove. Still got 1/2 box left, even gave some to the neighbors, my time is worth squat. I do like to see and read about new things, but I don't change much. Of course that doesn't mean I haven't bought a crap ton full of saws over the years.

:popcorn:
I also carry a cut-off stick. Went through a lot of them by losing them in the pecker brush while cutting. Now I us white 1/4 or 1/2" PVC riser pipe cut to length. Easy to spot when I drop it somewhere 'temporarily' ;). I carry it in my left hand, lay on log, eyeball where to cut, repeat. I don't like to mark too far ahead as one is always having to make adjustments as to where to cut at crotches, knots, etc.

Harry K

haveawoody

haveawoody

Addicted to ArboristSite
Even on the original picture you can see a few problems.
The little stump sticking up is going to hit the measure while cutting and even that size log is going to have the measure bottomed out before the cut is done.
Can you imagine hitting a little stump 100 or more times cutting up a days logs or being limited to what size log you can cut so bigger things require you to remove the measure.
It's an interesting idea but not practical IMO.

I remember a very long conversation a year or so ago and most of the people cutting that cared about size just used the bar length to measure.
At the end position of the log it's as simple as laying the bar pivoting at that point and cutting.
No extra time, movement or tangle tool needed to make a precise cut each time.

Whitespider
I cut all my wood even because I have set my wood splitter up for a specific size.

Ya know?? If I was to list all the reasons I cut firewood to a uniform length, splitter operation would likely be on top. My splitter is fully automatic and hands free, but there ain't any log cradle so until the wood engages the wedge I need to keep a hand on it. I cut to 16-inches, set my splitter at 17... and a long or short round just messes-up my timing.

haveawoody

haveawoody

Addicted to ArboristSite
I would guess that an easy add on would be something like a laser level.
Got to be an easy way to mount it to the handle and give you a cut line when your at a set length from the end.
That sort of thing might be popular and remove the tangle tool problem, the carrying one more thing problem and the measure being in the way problem.

(:-D

ArboristSite Member
On my 361, where the tip meets the bottom of the bar on a 20" ES bar back to the clutch cover is ~16". I just put the tip line at the already cut end, then turn the saw 90* and cut. Works well for me. No need for gimmicky attachments, paint, tape, sticks. Line up, turn, cut, repeat.

MuskokaSplitter

MuskokaSplitter

ArboristSite Operative
This being my first year cutting firewood i've just been eyeballing it.....and it shows LOL. I have been thinking of ways to make my cuts more accurate and im going to try using my saw for measurement.

Photog95

Photog95

ArboristSite Operative
Just curious. Do you noodle the rounds to avoid splitting or for nicer stacking? or to gain fire starter?

I was wondering the same thing. The only time I noodle is when I am not man enough to pick up the rounds to get them in the truck. Those rounds look like they are almost small enough to fit in the stove let alone picking them all the way up to put them on a stand. Why not just split them.

pennsywoodburnr

pennsywoodburnr

supreme scrounger
I was wondering the same thing. The only time I noodle is when I am not man enough to pick up the rounds to get them in the truck. Those rounds look like they are almost small enough to fit in the stove let alone picking them all the way up to put them on a stand. Why not just split them.

Or when you get so fed up from trying to split them by hand you're at the point of loosing your sanity.

FLHX Storm

FLHX Storm

ArboristSite Guru
Lost somewhere in the mountains of the southeast!
Or maybe he just likes using his chainsaw!

I only noodle when I just don't have it in me to split some of the more twisted stringy gnarly crotchity pieces. If a round is too large for me to move, I'll pull out my splitting axe and either split it in half or quarters depending on it's size n then move it to wherever.

Last edited:
turnkey4099
This being my first year cutting firewood i've just been eyeballing it.....and it shows LOL. I have been thinking of ways to make my cuts more accurate and im going to try using my saw for measurement.

Same here when it comes to eyeballing. Smaller it is, the longer I cut. Bigger it is, the shorter it gets. Been at this at a rate of 10+ cord/yr for over 30 years and I still can't eyeball 16" to a reasonable tolerance.

Harry K

Icehouse

Icehouse

ArboristSite MVP
I think everyone has it right. My old shoulders after many years of use are junk, went from an 8# maul to a 6# maul to a 4# Fiskars. I really don't use the fire starter but my neighbors do. I just love to run my multitude of saws, a couple have been modified for noodling. The wood does stack good. That wood is going to stay out there in the woods until next summer, when it's hot it will be run through splitter and stacked in woodshed. My stove isn't big enough to put most of those chunks in whole. I load my stove different than most folks, I put wood in end ways instead of side ways, easier to load and wood doesn't roll against glass door as it burns down. My wood is only 14" so I can load that way. I could load 16" but this is easier. Notice pitch fork for stacking noodles and end loader with " thumb " for handling logs. Some of that birch is 24" on butt. image.jpg

MrWhoopee

MrWhoopee

ArboristSite Operative
Four pages and no one has mentioned the tap-n-cut marker.
Log Marker1.jpg Log Marker2.jpg

I measure for several reasons.
1. I'm apparently slightly OCD. I LIKE it cut consistently.
2. I also like neat, straight stacks.
3. A consistent 16 in. lets me fill my woodshed fully without wasted space.
4. A consistent 16 in. leaves just enough room at the back of the truck for the cutting equipment (including the tap-n-cut).
5. All of my friends cut 16 in. No problems when someone else ends up with my load.
6. My eyeball cuts also tend to vary depending on diameter.

Last edited:

Latest posts