Great lanyard idea!!!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Does these little Huskys have little fuel tanks like the small climbing STIHL's?

I found the little STIHL's wont even finish a medium size tree cleanout.

Back when I used 009's it was OK but these other little saws, I don't know. :dizzy:

No they're fine for me. As long as I keep a good edge on them. And I leave my saw running for long periods of time on my belt even.

Unless a tree takes me over 1.5-2 hours, Im usually fine. I rarely run out of gas. And I do quality class I prunes a lot of the time (don't ask me why:dizzy:)

I too have the standard bungee lanyard. Never a problem catching it in the saw. Its attached straight off the right side of my hip. I do fear the girth hitch on the tiny piece of steel breaking, but I suppose that falls into maintenance.

ONE WORD OF CAUTION have you modified your screamer? Or do you have another weak link in the system? The screamer is not a "tear away" (by my terminology). It is a load limiting device. Even after all the stitching deploys it still retains the full strength of 1" tubular nylon.

If you are aware of this, I am curious what your reasoning is, how will it work for you?

Oh, I do like the cable idea. I hate weight on my saddle, but after the my breakaway gets soaked with bar oil a couple times, maybe their the same.

bendtrees comment on 1"tube webbing

the screamer is really not a comparable break away to those bungee lanyards???

lanyard

do you guys just hang your saw on the lanyard , or using a whale hook at your saddle as well?

...when i whale hook the saw handle, climb for a bit, go to make next cuts, the bungee lanyards tend to bounce onto the saw chain and stick there, needing to be moved before continue cutting...

i DO want to make sure i am using a safe saw lanyard, that is why im here looking for opinions

Along the same idea... A length of 1/4" coiled airhose attached to the breakaway would work too... And be much lighter. You could hook it all up with quick connects too. :)

airhose

couldnt the saw accidentally cut an air hose?

i thought the wire lanyard would resist cuts over time

also it doesnt seem to be HEAVY! i dont know if the pic makes it look big, or just when someone thinks 'bikelock cable' they think huge gage. the gage is small , like 1/4 " -

i will weigh it so we can compare...

I use a bungee lanyard with a smaller saw lanyard attached to the handle of my 200T. I just clip the metal ring on the saw to the clip on my saddle when I want to move through the tree. I rarely have a problem with it getting hung up.

couldnt the saw accidentally cut an air hose?

i thought the wire lanyard would resist cuts over time

also it doesnt seem to be HEAVY! i dont know if the pic makes it look big, or just when someone thinks 'bikelock cable' they think huge gage. the gage is small , like 1/4 " -

i will weigh it so we can compare...

Well, being as the point to the coil is to stop the thing from getting in the way... Cutting it becomes a non issue right?

I really like your idea... I was just throwing another idea out there.

hey metals

i like your suggestion too, i am looking for as much input as possible , i just noticed all the lanyards out there on everyones saddle/saw are all CUT UP.

with the lanyard coiled out of the way it does not snag. now im sure im not the only one who had a saw bungee lanyard snag, and accidentally cut it!

i have designed other tools which i am looking to patent, now that is an expensive start up! lawyers are spendy.

snap back

one thing for sure is to check that it breaks near the saddle, so the darn thing doesnt come snapping back!

I don't do tree work... I just know some tree guys... Do you have a picture of the setup as it would be worn on your body? Trying to understand the 'snap-back' thing you said?

to me it looks like once the stitching breaks, the saw goes flying

the web is two flat pieces sewn together , if the stitch breaks they are not connectedView attachment 93516

View attachment 93517

Gotcha, ... Current Screamers in different variations start with an open bartacked full strength runner then collapsed with stitching. But both the clip in points stay within the system which remains at full strength 22kn+. It looks like you've got something else, two separate pieces of tubular sewn together? I am assuming there are two ends where your forefinger is in the photo. If the tape simply bends where your finger is then it appears to fail the desired effect of full breakaway.
I kind of like the idea. I need to inspect my breakaway and see how much stitching there is. Both screamers and the buckingham deploy between 2 and 3 kn. If the buck is only an inch or so, it doesn't seem like it would take to much to ante up 250 pounds. Of course hanging on while 6" deploys doesn't sound much fun either. Safe cuts on big wood must be the solution.

I would really like to see light replaceable load limiters built into harnesses with an actuation force of a few hundred pounds. I guess then our gear would have to go from "work positioning" to "fall protection."

Gotcha, ... Current Screamers in different variations start with an open bartacked full strength runner then collapsed with stitching. But both the clip in points stay within the system which remains at full strength 22kn+. It looks like you've got something else, two separate pieces of tubular sewn together? I am assuming there are two ends where your forefinger is in the photo. If the tape simply bends where your finger is then it appears to fail the desired effect of full breakaway.
I kind of like the idea. I need to inspect my breakaway and see how much stitching there is. Both screamers and the buckingham deploy between 2 and 3 kn. If the buck is only an inch or so, it doesn't seem like it would take to much to ante up 250 pounds. Of course hanging on while 6" deploys doesn't sound much fun either. Safe cuts on big wood must be the solution.

I would really like to see light replaceable load limiters built into harnesses with an actuation force of a few hundred pounds. I guess then our gear would have to go from "work positioning" to "fall protection."

ugh im like still lernin to read and stuff.

Where did you find that?

metals

yes the pieces are separate, and sewn together.

it looks like one big jerk will pop it free, as intended

Latest posts

Back