Great site here!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Steve NW WI

Unwanted Riff Raff.
Reaction score
Fairly new here, my 1st post. Found this site a couple of weeks ago and have been reading...probably far more than is considered "healthy"!

You guys have convinced me of a couple of things so far:

1 "That dang ironwood that tips over at 6" diameter aint worth cutting", just might be. Looks like actually a lot of heat value in it. Gonna take the ATV and 2 wheeled trailer out in the morning and start the process.

2. I NEED a 7900 Dolmar. Saw shopping was what brought me here. Hadn't heard much about the Dolmars before here, but lots of good reviews here sent me to check them out a little closer. I got prices from about 3 different Stihl dealers and a Husky dealer, none were within $100 of the price of a new Dolmar, and most were $150 higher on a similar sized saw.

NOTE: before the first wiseguy says it, no #1 and #2 are not related!

I added some random woodcutting pics for everyone to have a look at.

Steve

Fairly new here, my 1st post. Found this site a couple of weeks ago and have been reading...probably far more than is considered "healthy"!

You guys have convinced me of a couple of things so far:

1 "That dang ironwood that tips over at 6" diameter aint worth cutting", just might be. Looks like actually a lot of heat value in it. Gonna take the ATV and 2 wheeled trailer out in the morning and start the process.

2. I NEED a 7900 Dolmar. Saw shopping was what brought me here. Hadn't heard much about the Dolmars before here, but lots of good reviews here sent me to check them out a little closer. I got prices from about 3 different Stihl dealers and a Husky dealer, none were within $100 of the price of a new Dolmar, and most were $150 higher on a similar sized saw.

NOTE: before the first wiseguy says it, no #1 and #2 are not related!

I added some random woodcutting pics for everyone to have a look at.

Steve

Welcome!! I love it when someone just hops in with pics and all!! Nice pics!:greenchainsaw:

Welcome to ArboristSite.

You will soon discover that a "healthy" amount of time reading AS results in CAD itch, and bleary eyes. Have you checked out Boyd's for Dolmar prices, he's not too far from your red dot.

Nice pics, you are all set, no need for more equipment, nope, not a thing. :laugh: . Always enjoy seeing old tractors in use.

Metal Fab shop huh?, there's another guy around here in a similar position, check out the pics by Nailsbeats, lots of neat attachments fabbed up.

Last edited:
Welcome from another Wisconsin member! From the look of your dot in your avatar pic you must be around St Croix? If so, you are not too far from me. It looks like you have a real nice place there and plenty of wood to harvest.
Steve NW WI said:
Found this site a couple of weeks ago and have been reading...probably far more than is considered "healthy"!
As long as it doesn't interfere with your wood cutting and chainsaw collecting/modding it's all good!:greenchainsaw:

Last edited:
Nice "M"

Welcome to the site. Love the "M"! Had a "H" and a "BN". Traded them in on the Kabota. Miss the "H"! They don't make them like that anymore. I see ya already have CAD!

Yep guys, Boyd will be getting my saw $$ as soon as I get them saved up.

I'm between Star Prairie and Osceola.

Have some ideas for improving the splitter, mainly a lift kit to get it up to "not bent over" height, and a log lift for it. I have a video of it in use that I'll YouTube when I get time.

The old Olympik has been the "big dog" here for a long time, and is probably due for an overhaul. Need suggestions on where to find parts for the old beast.

On a side note: Picked up a gallon of Do-It-Best brand "Winter" bar and chain oil recently, and it most definetly was NOT winter grade! 30*f and the stuff was like axle grease. E-mail to the company was very unhelpful - CAVEAT EMPTOR!

Any more questions, I'll be happy to answer them, off to make some saw-buying money for now.

Steve

You WI guys need a field trip up to Ashland to train my brother how to run his little Poulan Woodshark with safety chain, he is scared to death of it!

Welcome to the Arboristsite!!

Thanks for the pics...very nice!! Love those tractors too...you've got some cool equipment to work with Steve! I'd love to have all that open space you have:clap: .

Bryan

You WI guys need a field trip up to Ashland to train my brother how to run his little Poulan Woodshark with safety chain, he is scared to death of it!

Ashland?
I was born and raised there and lived there till 89.
I try to get back there to visit my parents at least once a year and to visit some of my friends at the bars. :givebeer:

Though I probably wouldn't be the best to do a chainsaw training session, me and machines don't get along to well. :dizzy:

I like the M, that international harvester power plant will run forever. The running deer tracks are a nice touch in the ATV cart picture.

Hello from the Hayward area, I'm about 1 hour south of Ashland, 85 miles south southeast of Duluth MN. I moved here 20 years ago from Chicago and would never go back.

Jonny, yup thats a sawrig on the front of the M - currently have some ignition problems, but it's great on small stuff, kindling, and scaring the heck out of my insurance agent!

Coldfront: Nice area up by Hayward, we used to go to Nelson Lake every year for fishing opener before everyone got married and broke!

Deer are plenty thick around here, except after the first gunshot of hunting season, when they go to hide, they head for the creek bottoms. My woods is fairly open and not a ton of places to hide. This year we also had a ton of standing corn in the area to compete with during hunting season.

Back