Great, This ever happen to you

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bobbyb13

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Cutting up some trash limbs to throw in the stove in the building with the Remington SL14 I was so pleased it was running so great. Wham it shut down. After about 10 minutes fooling with it I pulled the plug, No tip on the plug. Now it has 40 lbs compression compared to 100 yesterday. Pulled the muffler and I got a busted piston and a broke ring looking at me. I'm not going to find gaskets, a jug, piston, and rings for this. Thanks a lot champion. I really hate it because my Dad bought this old saw in 1976. Every time I used it I thought of him.

Dang! Hey keep the faith, there must be a parts saw out there with your name on it.

Thats a bummer. :(
Pretty good saw, running 30 years, though!
You can probably fix it, for sentimentality sake, although I know there are plenty O guys around here ready to sell you on a new saw!
:popcorn:

Umm, that sounds like a bummer, Bob. That has never happened to me. But I can imagine that is exactly what something like that would do to an engine. Sorry to hear of your misfortune.

Thank for caring guys I really appreciate it. The plug was new. Just put that sucker in when I tuned and did everything else to it.

Parts will show up sometime down the road if you want to keep and rebuild the saw. I would be tempted to contact Champion. I wonder what there spin on this would be...
Mark

i have had similar failures with champion plugs in briggs engines and motorcycles. i will never run their plugs. first thing i do with customer saws that i find champion plugs in is pull the plug and toss it in the trash can, a new Bosch goes in free of charge when i have them.

That is a damned shame. I can completely imagine what you must be feeling. I have a couple saws that I've kept for sentimental reasons and would be very upset if they got trashed because of some fault not my own.

I would get in touch with Champion. If they're worth a hill of beans they will respond to the sentimental saw angle and try to make it right. If they're not, well, scan their reply letter and post it on the internet!

And whatever you do, don't toss the saw. You should be able to score a parts saw (or two or three...) to make it right again. I've had a couple of them through my hands in the past couple years and I got 'em for free (they were the smaller SL9 and the JD version, but it proves my point about old saw availability, anyway).

Let us know how it goes with Champion.

computeruser said:
That is a damned shame.

And whatever you do, don't toss the saw. You should be able to score a parts saw (or two or three...) to make it right again. I've had a couple of them through my hands in the past couple years and I got 'em for free (they were the smaller SL9 and the JD version, but it proves my point about old saw availability, anyway).

X2

Check out this thread and contact member Scott, replied to this thread listed here. http://www.arboristsite.com/showthread.php?t=39339

He has 300+ parts saws as he lists in his signature. Screen name retoocs555, he most likely will be able to help you out.

Good luck.

All I can say is Thanks to all of you for your replies. I am going to contact Champion. Federal-Mogul owns them so I dought they will give a squat.
Thanks again

Don't dispair.

Those were common saws.

I have some excellent organ donors down here :taped:

retoocs555 said:
Don't dispair.

Those were common saws.

I have some excellent organ donors down here :taped:

Previously posted by Brit101

Brit101 said:
X2

Check out this thread and contact member Scott, replied to this thread listed here. http://www.arboristsite.com/showthread.php?t=39339

He has 300+ parts saws as he lists in his signature. Screen name retoocs555, he most likely will be able to help you out.

Good luck.

The man is psychic I say, psychic!:greenchainsaw:

Yes, it happened to me. Homelight 360. Cutting along just fine when it started to rattle. Shut down, only had a bit to go to finish. Tried starting and it started, no noise. Finished job. Wouldn't start again. Examination showed that the electrode had come off and welded itself to the top of the piston be had peened over the edges of the piston. No damage to bore. How it ever started after I shut it down the first time is a mystery. New rod/piston assemble and back running but it would only run a few minutes and shut down. I never found the problem, the saw shop couldn't either. I don't know how much they looked though as it would run just fine long enough for them to decide there was no problem. Finally traded it off to them for a POS Poulan 4000. I think we both got screwed on that deal.

Harry K

This is a real bummer happening to your Dad's old saw. Every tool from my Dad is a little bit special, and he's still around.

My advice is not to waste any time or energy going after Champion. They will probably just say that the 30 year old piston came apart and busted their plug. And, even if they concede some part of the blame, they can't help you fix the saw.

Just get the parts from Scott up in Vermont, or some other member, and don't look back. After all, the main thing is to get the saw back up and running again. And stick a NGK in there when your done!

Note to self: Scrap spare Champion plugs in the box and get some Bosch ones.

Thanks for the heads-up, and sorry it had to happen to you.

I fully agree with Spike60 - with only your anecdotal evidence versus their testing and pride, I don't see you getting anywhere. Perhaps a letter descibing your expereince and resolve to eschew their products from now on, but have no expections for resolution.

I sent Champion an email. I doubt I even get a reply. If I do I'll scan it and post it here. Anyway I have NGK in everything now, even the lawn mowers.

Latest posts

Back