Greatest Saw Innovation in Recent Memory?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

litefoot

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
I know that many "innovations" today are merely one brand copying expired patents of another brand, but what would you consider to be the greatest (or most useful) true innovation in recent memory?

And do you think chainsaw manufacturers are innovative or do they rest on their laurels a bit too much? I truly am impressed with my latest, a 7900, it's everything I expected and more. So I guess if we are content...the manufacturers are content, right? I'm not complaining, but I haven't seen any "wow, somebody was thinking!!!" changes in saw design lately. Am I wrong?

Well As far as Dolmar they have nice stuff, but isn't everything that is nice about it is copied from husky? it has steel av springs like..... it has a quad transfer arrangement like.... inboard clutch... side adjust chain tensioner ....bar mount....how is that muffler braced on the saw....is it single or double ring piston?

Well Dolmar copied husky in my mind, But they seem to put out more power across the board.

Any way I think one of the greatest innovations was the air injection / turbo air filtration. It was great for the pro because they could run the saw longer between maintance, and it was great for the homeowner because it made the saw less vulnerable to its lack of proper maintenance.

Dogs

I dunno, I went wow when I saw those Big A55 monster dogs on that Husky... I think alot of people did.

Side adjust chain tensioner!!!!! OMG do I hate an old saw with the front tensioner!!
Andy

I'm a fan of the modern ignition system, no more points under the flywheel and such.

v/r

Mike

Being able to buy a brand new saw for less than two days wage. New saws for less than $150.00, not great saws but it puts the tool in peoples hands.

ok, I haven't seen anything mentioned that wasn't on almost all 15 year old stihls, except for partners "air injection" :popcorn:

Just how far back do we have to go for "recent" memory?:monkey:

sawinredneck said:
Side adjust chain tensioner!!!!! OMG do I hate an old saw with the front tensioner!!
Andy

second that, i hate the tensioner in 242...

Chinese manufactured saws?:hmm3grin2orange: Not sure if that actually counts as innovation as much as reinvention.

sawinredneck said:
Andy

If you turn the saw off before trying to use the front chain tensioner it will work better.:D

Lakeside53 said:
ok, I haven't seen anything mentioned that wasn't on almost all 15 year old stihls, except for partners "air injection" :popcorn:

Just how far back do we have to go for "recent" memory?:monkey:

Lake,
I used the phrase "recent memory" because I was first thinking of the last 15 years (the extent of my personal experience). I personally couldn't think of any ground-breaking innovations over that period. So in order keep thread from withering on the vine, I decided to make the question more open-ended.

Anyway, the first part of your response probably sums it up nicely.

Justsaws said:
If you turn the saw off before trying to use the front chain tensioner it will work better.:D

Damn, always thought there should have been another step to that!!!!

Honest truth, I have seen that done with a running saw, chainbrake on, but..... dude had more balls than me!!!!
Andy

More balls less brains is usually how it works.:biggrinbounce2: I commend you on your manly brain it will probably save your twins some day.

Do all the pro/big name saws have side tensioners now?

I like the cold fusion inertia drive and the laser chain self sharpener.
:popcorn:

musch said:
I like the cold fusion inertia drive and the laser chain self sharpener.
:popcorn:

You just ruined Poulan's Christmas surprise!:angry2: Now they will have to fall back on their lifetime chain guarantee and lifetime parts and labor.

Ooooppps.:angry2:

Latest posts

Back