Green Ash fungus things?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DPF

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I'll post a pic tonight, but maybe someone can help me now. I have two green ash trees, one in the back (fine) and one out front along the street. The one along the street, as well as several neighbors Ashes along the street, seem to have a fungus I can't get identification on. I'm no expert so maybe these structures are natural for Ash but I don't believe so and can find no reference.

Whatever it is has formed spikey clusters of balls at leaf clusters and either consumed the leaves or caused them to fall off. The balls can be 1/4" to rarely almost 3/4" in diameter, then clustered. Intially green in color then turning brown and falling off. I assume this is after they spore (if it is a fungus) that they brown and fall.

It seems to be on about 50-75% of the ashes on my street. Again, I'll post a pic tonight for reference. Any ideas? I've ruled out Ash Rust as the structures are totally different. The tree is about 15 years old I think (I've only been here 2.5), ~36" trunk circumference, maybe 30' tall.

If I've left out any pertinent info, please let me know and I'll respond.
Thanks,
-DPF

search "ash flower gall" Innocuous, and ornamental to us Halloween lovers.

Why can't witches have babies?

Warlocks have Hollow weinies!

I do believe that's it! Thanks.

Well, at least now I know it isn't too harmful, except aesthetically.

The fact that it only attacks male trees explains the percentage of trees on the block affected as well.

Thanks again.
-DPF

Yes, I know. It's been found in the county just west of mine. We've all pretty much succumbed to the fact that they'll all be gone in time. I'm considering starting to treat them with the Bayer Advanced Tree and Shrub since allegedly that can stave them off. I'm sure at best it will do nothing but buy a little more time.

Thinking about Oaks. I've always loved Oaks, particularly whites. Grew up surrounded by big old-growth ones in semi-rural NW Indiana. Of course they won't be that big in my lifetime :(. See very few of them here in the western burbs. It's all Ashes with a few Maples, just a couple Pin Oaks sprinkled in. Definitely adding some kind of Red Maple to the back yard. There's no shade back there.

Anyway, enough rambling on. Thanks for the help.
-DPF

Actually EAB has been found in Cook County in Wilmette and Evanston. The process has begun here in IL. And my entire street is Green Ash. My wife and I even contemplated selling the house since soon this neighborhhod won't have nearly the aesthetic appeal it does now. In the mean time, I have found places on the parkway to plant Chinkapin Oak, Swamp White Oak and Royal Paulownia - just to have some larger trees in a hurry.

Back