Green Ash Tree

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

peaches

Reaction score
I am thinking about getting a green ash tree for a shade tree in my front lawn. Anyone have any tips, ideas, suggestions? I have no idea what the pH leve of the soil is. The tree would be planted near the street, to shade the front of my home. It will have direct sunlight from 11am-sunset. Should i choose another tree? I am located in Tampa, Florida:blob2:

Green Ash Review

Hi Peaches,

Green Ash is the most widely distributed of the American ashes. It is common, especially through the Midwest, as a scattered tree along stream banks and the borders of swamps. Best development appears to be reached east of the Appalachians. Green ash has been widely planted throughout the plains states and adjacent Canada. It is exceedingly hardy to climateic extremes, although naturally a mist bottomland or stream-bank tree, it will, when once established, persist on dry sterile soils, and it has been used successfully in shelterbelts. In a way, this tree has been overplanted because of its adaptablility. It has been used for streets, lawns, commercial areas, parks, golf courses and about any other area one can think of.

This particular ash is hardy throughout zones 2b all the way down to zone 9, which as far as I am aware, is the zone encompassing Tampa. Therefore, upon considering the pre-described information, one would expect a Green Ash to grow practically anywhere.

One should take into account that Green Ashes are suceptible to anthracnose, ash yellows, decline, dieback, leaf spot, fluoride tolerance, and I'm sure that there are a few that I am forgetting to mention. One of the real problems is the use of seedling-grown trees for they often fruit and in so doing become a signigicant nuisance. I am not implying that this is a justifiable reason to not get the tree, just that the pre-described material is worth considering and keeping in mind.

I am currently on an exchange program from Brandon University, Brandon, Manitoba, Canada, and am furthering my Urban Forestry studies at MSU-Bottineau, Bottineau, North Dakota. What relevance does this carry to your question? I understand that I live a long way from your area and that I am certainly not an expert on Tampa climatic and soil conditions. However, I have given you a synopsis of Green Ashes on a continental scale.

Hopefully you can take some useful information that will aid you in your search for the perfect tree to beautify and improve the functionality of your landscape.

Shane Freeman

which would you prefer for a shade tree? sweet gum, or the green ash? any other recommendations? i am not looking for an oak.... way too many on the property....:confused:

Personally I would go with a sweet gum. Green ash are a very popular boulivard tree in many cities. They tend to have very low hanging branches, This could become a problem near drive ways, gardens, etc. Another problem is almost every green ash I've seen has some type of flower gall (I'm not sure the exact type mabey somebody else can add some info). This makes the tree very unsightly and messy.

The flower gall is a mite that feeds on the male flowers. purely an aesthetic problem.

Green ash is a "dirty" tree, tends to hold onto deadwood. There are some cvs of green ash that have good form, but they tend to be more irregular. As Shane points out, ash seed out readily, so getting a male plant is a good idea in a landscape

White ash has many better cvs too choose from (I especialy like 'Autumn Purple'). These tend to have much better form and shed their deadwood better.

There are a number of other speicies out there to choose from, and your being in a warm climb you can use most of them.

I'd stay away from the ashes. We're at the southern extent of their range and they don't do well here. Sweet gum is too messy for me. Tell us a bit more about the site; Size of root zone and airspace, how far from structures, any overhead or undergroung utilities, dry or moist soil? Do you want evergreen or deciduous? Tal and thin, or short and spreading? Flowers? Fruits?

Latest posts

Back