Green: but here to learn

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SaberzEdge

Reaction score
Let me start off by saying thank you to all of you who dedicate your time to this site. I have been using it to do research for two weeks on finding the right saw and thought I should let you know your knowledge is appreciated. I decided on stihl because of local support and friends that use them. I also am buying used (ebay) so I can afford a model I want.
Now let me tell you what I've learned:
*Buy a professional model
-for quality and durability
-power to weight ratio
-maintenance
*Based on what I've read these models are the best, respectively (correct me if I'm wrong)
-026 pro
-028 super
To help me decide you would need to know that my budget is about $400 and my primary use would be for fire wood, 2-5 cords/year as I am moving to my new home soon, which has ten acres wooded.
I am torn between 026 pro and 361 as I think starting off with a smaller saw may be a good idea, both to learn on and to possibly buy a larger model later to complement it.
I am also wondering a good price for each of these models as what I've found on here are older outdated posts on pricing.
Thanks for reading such a long thread and I look forward to your comments, esp. from sawtroll!

If you are sticking to stihl, then i think you hit the models pretty closely that will work for you. If you are just learning then i would start with the 026/pro. There isnt a performance advantage to the "pro" on this model, only a cylinder decomp (not needed) and an adjustable oiler. A nice 026 should be had for $300 or so, less for a more beat saw. Moving up to the 361 is a logical next step. Ive never used one, but i know that people love them and hang on to them, so they aren't as easy to come by in good shape. Dont shy away from an 034 super if you find a decent one. Good Luck!

My 026 is not marked as a "pro" on the label but does have an adjustable bar oiler. It adjusts using a screw on the bottom of the saw. It seems the only difference is the decompression valve and, as you said, it is not needed.

I had a ported 361 and man that thing out run. Even stock with a muffler mod they run well. Even though you MAYspend more then on Ebay, keep your eyes open here for a 361 or 260 PRO. Not saying dealer support isn't great but chances are they will be more likely to support is you buy a saw from them, not go in, ask questions about what saws to buy then come back 3 weeks later with a saw that used and say you need parts or service... just my .02

Jon makes a great point concerning maintenance of an older saw vs buying new. Most guys in here like to tinker and fix stuff. If thats not for you then maybe buying new is the way to go.

What you are cutting will dictate the size saw and bar you need. If you are new to saws I would go with an 026/260, it is light and well balanced. A longer bar on a 361 may make it nose heavy and unwieldy. The 028 is an older model and an 044 may be more than you need.

Thanks for the tips, I had lined up a 026 pro and 361 on ebay but were sold before I got paid. Now there are none on there. Im going to check on here but may have to settle with something else. I really am thinking I need atleast a 361.

It is the ultimate Stihl firewood saw IMO after all, and the 361 even bone-stock will put a lot of wood on the ground in a hurry. And that's the whole idea with a firewood saw, right?

Thanks for the tips, I had lined up a 026 pro and 361 on ebay but were sold before I got paid. Now there are none on there. Im going to check on here but may have to settle with something else. I really am thinking I need atleast a 361.

I know its off track but a muffler modded/gasket deleted Echo 590 would put quite a few cords down for under $400... 5 year warranty etc.

I would buy a new saw in your case. It may be less maintenance and has a warranty.
Sounds like you're on the right track when thinking a smaller 40-50cc saw to start.
Plus it gives you room for another larger saw if needed in the future. Two tools are better than one.
That's why I bought my Stihl MS291 new to replace a cheap and well worn Poulan 42cc saw.
My next saw will probably be a MS441 or MS461
MS291b2.jpg

I would buy a new saw in your case. It may be less maintenance and has a warranty.
Sounds like you're on the right track when thinking a smaller 40-50cc saw to start.
Plus it gives you room for another larger saw if needed in the future. Two tools are better than one.
That's why I bought my Stihl MS291 new to replace a cheap and well worn Poulan 42cc saw.
My next saw will probably be a MS441 or MS461
View attachment 442149

That along with a 201 is all I carry on my truck. Will do 90% of the residential tree work I do. I have access to a 460 and 660 but rarely need it.

Latest posts

Back