Green redgum short's , not the type you wear either

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Matildasmate

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Hi all I cut some nice green Redgum short's a few day's back , about a third of the pile so far , just love green Redgum cut's so easy , would have been firewood otherwise , I haven't got to the bigger stuff yet , some of the other stuff is about 3' wide , but I have to trim the edge's off , to get it down to 28" , that's all my mill can handle at the moment , until I get a longer bar anyway . Should be nice when it dry's out , it get's a lot darker red usually when it drys out . Cheer's MM ...... I will get some better photos when I do the bigger stuff . I took one out of Woodshops book and ripped it with normal Carlton semichisel chain , it's give's you a little rougher surface , but eh it's going through the planer eventually and it cut's much faster than ripping chain , on the big stuff I will still use ripping chain , only because it wont fit through the planer and it will create to much work when trying to finish it by hand .

Very pretty wood. You said it cuts easily. Is Redgum a soft wood?
Generaly not if it's old and dead , which is normally how we get it , but lately I have been lucky enough to get some green Redgum , cross cutting green redgum , cut's like butter , ripping it is quite a bit slower but heap's faster than when it is old and dry and yes it is a hardwood . Cheers MM

Very interesting looking wood. Nice rich colour.

You should be able to put it to good use. Some around here would turn it into unique pieces of furniture like table tops. The different shapes would make each table look different than the next.

Very nice! Nice color. Any plans for it??
Yeah my partner want's a kitchen built out of it , I would also like to try laminating some of it together in plywood form , thick layer's though , they say it move's a fair bit , one bloke who live's about 20 mile's from me laminate's it to particle board and reckon's it work's well , that may be so , but if I were going to do that , I would at least use plywood to laminate it to , bloody particle board is crap . I wont be the one that build's the kitchen either , I am only a rough carpenter , cattle ramp's , shed shelve's , that sort of thing . It is going to be about 22 degree c here tomorrow and I have found some more Redgum , that's where I will be tomorrow . Cheer's MM

Very interesting looking wood. Nice rich colour.

You should be able to put it to good use. Some around here would turn it into unique pieces of furniture like table tops. The different shapes would make each table look different than the next.
Yeah lotta bloke's make table's outa the stuff , they use that two pack self leveling stuff , just pour it on , let it harden , set's with a mirror finish , look's bloody great , but I don't think the shiny surface is actually practical , I think a satin finish would actually work better , otherwise the smallest amount of dust , smudge etc will show up . Cheer's MM

I bet that would look good in a kitchen cabinets, frameless solid doors ect. I have just discovered wood countertops if you like wood they are georgous but not sure how they hold up over time may have to baby them a bit. Well have fun and keep the pics coming!! Thanks

I would also like to try laminating some of it together in plywood form , thick layer's though , they say it move's a fair bit ,

That's my experience too. I'm not sure if laminating it to anything will make any difference. My stuff may also not have been completely dry.

It's also highly variable. A mate of mine made his kitchen benchtops out of redgum slabs. One section is dead straight all year round but the other two move like yo-yos. One 2ft wide section bows up and down about 1/8" between summer and winter.

Beautiful interesting wood MM. Yet another example of some of the stuff you folks down there can get a hold of that we can only dream of. Gosh I wish you guys weren't so far away. I'd be willing to turn it into a mini-vacation and drive couple thousand miles for stuff like that if I could come home with some. Another continent on other side of the world though... that's a different ball game.

Yes, as MM eluded to, again I also confirmed last weekend that my regular round ground chisel (skip tooth) just goes through logs faster than standard milling chain ground at 10 degrees. Rougher cut for sure, but I'll take the speed. I also noticed that it does not get as dull as fast as the milling chain did. However, that might be due to other factors. For example, I think the Baileys milling chain is basically Carlton chain ground to 10 degrees. I am now using Oregon 75JGX (better steel?), round ground chisel skip, the tooth design of which is not necessarily known for it's ability to withstand dirt and grit, BUT all I can say is I get not only faster runs, but MORE runs down the log slabbing before it starts to slow down. With the milling chain it seemed like as soon as it got a little dull, it slowed to a crawl much faster, less forgiving. Again, could be other factors, but my experience has been you pay a premium (speed and durability) for that smoother surface.

Last edited:
Nice looking slabs MM! Im with Woodshop, I would love to have a stack of that stuff down at the shop.:cheers:

That's my experience too. I'm not sure if laminating it to anything will make any difference. My stuff may also not have been completely dry.

It's also highly variable. A mate of mine made his kitchen benchtops out of redgum slabs. One section is dead straight all year round but the other two move like yo-yos. One 2ft wide section bows up and down about 1/8" between summer and winter.
The bloke in Beachport about 20 mile's from me has been doing it this way for year's he use's a bandsaw to cut a thin veneer of redgum which he glue's to particle board . Cheer's

Beautiful interesting wood MM. Yet another example of some of the stuff you folks down there can get a hold of that we can only dream of. Gosh I wish you guys weren't so far away. I'd be willing to turn it into a mini-vacation and drive couple thousand miles for stuff like that if I could come home with some. Another continent on other side of the world though... that's a different ball game.

Yes, as MM eluded to, again I also confirmed last weekend that my regular round ground chisel (skip tooth) just goes through logs faster than standard milling chain ground at 10 degrees. Rougher cut for sure, but I'll take the speed. I also noticed that it does not get as dull as fast as the milling chain did. However, that might be due to other factors. For example, I think the Baileys milling chain is basically Carlton chain ground to 10 degrees. I am now using Oregon 75JGX (better steel?), round ground chisel skip, the tooth design of which is not necessarily known for it's ability to withstand dirt and grit, BUT all I can say is I get not only faster runs, but MORE runs down the log slabbing before it starts to slow down. With the milling chain it seemed like as soon as it got a little dull, it slowed to a crawl much faster, less forgiving. Again, could be other factors, but my experience has been you pay a premium (speed and durability) for that smoother surface.

I agree , the chain definitely hold's an edge longer and I also get more run's before it start's to slow down , I find it hard to understand why I didn't do it sooner . Cheer's MM

Generaly not if it's old and dead cross cutting green redgum , cut's like butter

It is amazing how our Eucalypts seem so easy to cut when green, but then turn to stone when old and dry.

Looks like you have a decent amount to play with for a while. Wish I had the forklift to move mine around, any moves with my stack are by hand :dizzy:

Cheers

Hey Neil - welcome to this site - it's freaking awesome - and so are they millers here too! How did you find us?

RE: Moving slabs - do you have a good sack trolley ? One with pneumatic tyres? - That, and a cant hook, makes it much easier than just your hands.

Last edited:
It is amazing how our Eucalypts seem so easy to cut when green, but then turn to stone when old and dry.

Looks like you have a decent amount to play with for a while. Wish I had the forklift to move mine around, any moves with my stack are by hand :dizzy:

Cheers
Howdy Neil ..... yeah that was about a third of what I got , I also got some more yesterday , not as good as this stuff though , there is still a very large log left on the side of the road , but this bit is not real good , it is about 3'6"- 4' across and about 10' - 12' long , most likely only good enough for firewood , I am in no rush to get that bit though , I have about 20 -30 ton's of firewood stock piled now . Cheer's MM Welcome to the site Neil

Last edited:
Hey thanks for the welcome. I'm the same Dai Sensei from UBeaut's woodworkers forum.

I've been lurking for quite a while, but decided to build my own mill after buying a new Stihl660, so thought I better read up on how to do it. Plenty of good advise here. I work on road projects so see a lot of wood just being chipped :cry: and thought there has to be a better use :greenchainsaw: .

Hey thanks for the welcome. I'm the same Dai Sensei from UBeaut's woodworkers forum.

I've been lurking for quite a while, but decided to build my own mill after buying a new Stihl660, so thought I better read up on how to do it. Plenty of good advise here. I work on road projects so see a lot of wood just being chipped :cry: and thought there has to be a better use :greenchainsaw: .
Hi NeiL ....... Yeah this is a good forum , plenty of great people , heap's of great idea's , lot's of excellent post's and also very tolerant , this I feel is very important , otherwise not much would be discussed , occasionally some folk's lose the plot , even me , which become's a real humbling experience and lot's of laugh's . I am alway's amazed by the skill's people have on this site , just wonderful . Cheer's MM

Back