Green Vase Zelkovia

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brandon1

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Last year we were in the direct path of a tornado and I lost all my trees from the 10 year red/white buds to the 250 year white oaks.

I planted 2 Zelkovias in November. The leaves had already dropped when I purchased the trees. They were 2.5 inch caliper and 12-15 feet tall. Both planted reasonably high so not to die.

This spring they both pushed leaves only at the tip but there is some new branching popping out. However there are still some large main branches that are dead.

The question is what do I do with them? I've never planted a tree this large that had problems. The nursery has graciously offered me one tree (normally no guarantee policy) but I don't know it it is worth waiting another year or pulling them both and starting over. The 1st and 2nd photos are the tree the nursery offered to replace.

Thanks!

Attachments

• 20220525_152618.jpg
    20220525_152618.jpg
    2.4 MB · Views: 0
  • 20220525_152709.jpg
    20220525_152709.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 0
  • 20220525_152633.jpg
    20220525_152633.jpg
    2.5 MB · Views: 0
Not sure why the photo looks like the one tree is leaning- I didn't notice it in the photo. It is planted straight. Recommend trimming all the dead branches or leave them for a year?

Your trees are going to be in the reestablishment phase for the next 3 to 4 years. I would hold off on the pruning, zelkovias tend to tear. Unless you have good sharp pro tools and are experienced. Keep watered once a week, protect from mechanical injury and install mulch bed.

They are done. Replant. Are the trees leftover from last year? Were they freshly dug form the nursery? A healthy tree will grow the following year after planting.

They are done. Replant. Are the trees leftover from last year? Were they freshly dug form the nursery? A healthy tree will grow the following year after planting.
The trees were mostly below ground at the nursery with burlap in large wire baskets.

Latest posts

Back