Grind with the grain???

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I caught the edge of a big rolled up wad of barbed wire last year. Was grinding a stump right next to a pile of junk and some of the wire was buried in the ground by the stump. It yanked the whole big wad right into the wheel. I spent nearly 2 hours cutting it out with wire cutters. Boy was I ticked.
Jeff

Any kind of chain or wire really gets stuck and takes some time to undo. I just got done this afternoon pulling some barbwire out of the wheel from the last job.

I went to Houston after Ike and found this sweet rich neighborhood. The only bad thing was EVERY yard had landscape lights/wires going to every tree. I spent many hours that week pulling wire out of the wheel.

I hit something one time, actually heard it go "chink" over the volume of the grinder. Stopped to look, never found what I hit but it snapped 5 sandvik teeth off.

I hit a circular saw blade once and that chewed off 6 teeth iirc.

fun night last night

I believe last night was the worst night of stump grinding I've ever had. Ground out a 50' line of stumps in what turned out to be a rubble field. All the stumps were re-sprouting and buried in 3' tall grass so I had to 'feel' my way through the area for them. Well, I felt plenty. Boulders, huge chunks of concrete, flat steel, landscape fabric. Loads of fun. Completely destroyed an entire set of greenteeth on my 252. Had to stop and change lead teeth just to finish the job. The attached photos are what's left of the leads when I got done with the last stump.

Customer is going to get a 'debris surcharge' on this one. I've only ever applied a surcharge a few times over the past years and this is going to be one of em.

Last edited:
That is one of several reasons I hate Green Teeth. They are very fragile, and prone to breaking easily.
I find the Sandvic, and even the Rayco Super Teeth, are much more durable in rocky ground and areas with debris.
Jeff

That is one of several reasons I hate Green Teeth. They are very fragile, and prone to breaking easily.
I find the Sandvic, and even the Rayco Super Teeth, are much more durable in rocky ground and areas with debris.
Jeff

Luckily, it is rare that I encounter debris. Usually pretty clean soil in my area so the green teeth work well in most cases - not so much last night.

Tooth cost.

Luckily, it is rare that I encounter debris. Usually pretty clean soil in my area so the green teeth work well in most cases - not so much last night.
What do you pay for the teeth . We are changing from Yellow Jackets because they cost over $45.00 in New Zealand. We will be running 900 series on Vermeer 352.

It's been a couple of years since I bought the 1100 series that I run but they cost $12.00 each then. I've heard that, since green manufacturing switched to low profile tap and turn pockets/teeth, the old style are harder to come by. Anybody else know if that's true and, if so, where else can one buy them?

I have a hundred or so dull teeth that need either sharpened or retipped. I need to find someone to send them to. Anyone have any ideas on that?

It's been a couple of years since I bought the 1100 series that I run but they cost $12.00 each then. I've heard that, since green manufacturing switched to low profile tap and turn pockets/teeth, the old style are harder to come by. Anybody else know if that's true and, if so, where else can one buy them?

I have a hundred or so dull teeth that need either sharpened or retipped. I need to find someone to send them to. Anyone have any ideas on that?

I have a couple of ideas for you but don't have time right now as I'm leaving out on a trip until friday morning. I'll get back to you.

Latest posts

Back