GRINDER PIN REMOVAL/SPRING REPLACEMENT

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You have to use a punch and tap it out. The shaft is splined on each end. The solution for the future ( cause that return spring will break again) is to use a bolt long enough to pass through before the threads start.

a punch like to remove a rivet?? so whack it with a steel point?? i could try drill it out?

A punch of a diameter slightly smaller than the shaft not pointed although it could be tapered a bit. Drilling it out is not a good idea. the shaft is steel , the frame is some sort of aluminum or other white pot metal. Do not want to screw up the alignment. Bit of a pia but not hard to do, it is pressed in place during the original assembly .

i still do not believe it worked but it did, i used a hinge pin, the spring can be had anywhere??

made by Tecomec same as oregon 511, Jolly, Forester and a few others that spring runs around $12 iirc. I do not have any spares in shop at present, take me a few days to get.

I do not know anything about baileys. Too pricy for me with their shipping charges. I do not know of any one who makes a removable shaft- just something I did for my self as I wear the vise out in about 6 months ( the cam tightening goes to pot) , and snap that spring a few times a year- I have 5 of these types of grinders - different names. a pair in 2 locations and one as a back up. I have them set up as dedicated to left or right cutters. cuts down on the wear in the base of the vise assembly- I do a lot of chains. I wore out 4 of the fancy parallel clamping vises before I gave up on that system- once the double ended screw in the bottom breaks ya have to get a whole new assembly @ $169 replacement cost + shipping / ea. Nice Idea poor execution. Yes I have researched the automatic units can't afford the Frannzen $30k). the Dino I haven't got much feed back on( from AU) the other unit- Oregon is the us distributor now- dressed it up a bit. The feed back on the original units was not good for $7000 out lay.

? do they sell the caps? i seem to have lost both while banging, the thing was worth 40$?? I like idea of theaded bolt and washers for the shaft!
what about the guard? is it even needed??? grinding wheels? i mean who carries the parts?? the thing does not seem to have a handle...
http://prntscr.com/h5c5xx base
http://prntscr.com/h5c68b motor
what's the thing worth?

just google chain saw grinders and stuff will come up. not sure what you mean by caps. whats it worth ? what ever someone is willing to pay you for it. For me the guards get in the way to much as I am changing wheel widths a lot. handle isn't really needed for grinding just hold the head it's self to lower it against the spring pressure.

i need a spring i am thinking 15 is 2 much for baileys to get for it with the shipping

Back