grinder setup for square ground chain

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wi50

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Just messing around trying to make a verry fast cutting chain for some hardwood. I want to try some square ground chain, am ordering some from Bailies today to try and I tried fileing some the other day on an old chain. It cut fast, but not straight. I set up my chain grinder last night to the normal angles I use when grinding chisel chain, dressed the stone square and cut a chain. It works well but am wondering if I should use something different.

What angles would one run to cut the square grind?

yup.. the main barrier that keeps more folks from using square chain is price of entry. entry level new square grinders start at just under $1,000.

Silvey is the only mfg currently offering new square grinders.
other option is to wait for an affordable used square grinder to show up.

they do show up... but not very often. lucked out and scored my Simington 450 for under $300.

hand filing square is an art, so yes it can be done. but at 15-20 minutes per chains... not enough patience for me to do it by hand.

there's suppose to be a hand filing jig available soon for $200? range. but that soon has stretched out going on a year. so don't hold your breath waiting...

Last edited:
no wonder I couldn't find much info.

I think I'll spend the $16 for an Oregon loop from Bailies and try it, see if I can learn to file it or machine out a file guide. At least it won't cost me much.

IMHO ... you need at least half a dozen chains to give square a fair shot.
if you even slightly touch anything dirty... it's dull and needs to be changed out.

file to round if you decide ... it's not for you. machined sharpened square properly set up is much faster than new square.

no wonder I couldn't find much info.

I think I'll spend the $16 for an Oregon loop from Bailies and try it, see if I can learn to file it or machine out a file guide. At least it won't cost me much.

I have been trying square ground chain on my 346. It sure cuts fast. Trying to learn how is file it. I figured after a while I'd just put the square chain in the grinder and grind it to normal angles.
I bought a 25ft roll at my Stihl dealer, thats "BloonOnTheIce" and he will make loops up as I need them.

Just messing around trying to make a verry fast cutting chain for some hardwood. I want to try some square ground chain, am ordering some from Bailies today to try and I tried fileing some the other day on an old chain. It cut fast, but not straight. I set up my chain grinder last night to the normal angles I use when grinding chisel chain, dressed the stone square and cut a chain. It works well but am wondering if I should use something different.

What angles would one run to cut the square grind?
Grinding with a regular grinder just gives flat faced chain. Square grounds secret is the inside corner.

I recommend taking the time to learn how to hand file square ground. The double beveled files are a bit pricey but after you get the hang of it it's awesome how fast it cuts. My 660 came with a 32" full comp square chisel and I first thought, 'damn, what am I gonna do with this thing?'
But after taking the time to read about the angles and how to achieve them by hand, and alot of slow practice with a good light, it's not so difficult.
It becomes a bit of a ritual after a while.
Since then I've accumulated 2 square ripping chains both 36", one full comp. one semi-skip. It takes a while to file them, true. But I've also gotten better about keeping them out of the dirt.

Here's a few pdf files that will help with square angles:

get a junk square chain from somewhere, and learn how to file off of it. when learning to square file, your first chain will be shot, your next two or three tries won't cut straight, then you'll get it. once you get it, you will feel accomplished:)

This is one of the best video's I've seen that shows someone using a simington 451C .. patient and knowledgeable. Treason has other videos which show how incredibly fast the cutting is over round chain. Even having bought one, you'd need some mentorship on disc profile to start off right. Might be wise to buy 2 discs off someone already set up. 1 to practise on, the other as a benchmark. Good luck and keep your chain sharp. The other obvious thing is keeping a tree clean. Cut /buck it where it drops rather than let someone with a dozer or skider drag it through 50 acres of dirt.

This is one of the best video's I've seen that shows someone using a simington 451C .. patient and knowledgeable. Treason has other videos which show how incredibly fast the cutting is over round chain. Even having bought one, you'd need some mentorship on disc profile to start off right. Might be wise to buy 2 discs off someone already set up. 1 to practise on, the other as a benchmark. Good luck and keep your chain sharp. The other obvious thing is keeping a tree clean. Cut /buck it where it drops rather than let someone with a dozer or skider drag it through 50 acres of dirt.

Baileys has A top square filing jig I have one and works good this jig will show you how to get the right angles

Latest posts

Back