Grinding the rings

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Some people have bad information and strange ideas. tin pony isn't one of them. He is entertainment nothing more. Some people pay for that. Let them enjoy it.

Making a ring thinner is never a bad idea if it will carry the load. Thinner by installed height not by half assed increases in the gas packing area 😭

Tin pony just likes to sound important nothing more.

Radial tension isn't all that important if the ring package is correct and kept wet. The right clearance all around, say 0.004 0.010 for the gas port, 0.0008 to 0.0012 in the side land clearance fitted bone dry mind you, 0.005 or more per inch of bore end gap and the proper material or applied facings is how you arrive at quality ring package be it one or more. Boost ir very high compression requires more end gap based on heat no other majic bullet exists that I know of.

Rings are essentially sized by lapping once face ground after machining. If any other ever bothered to study the side of any common compression ring it is clearly apparent it was not ground, filed or sanded. Most mistakes are made on the cylinder wall preparation.

As far as the piston staying in the bore center just try this. Use a ring land cleaner tool and take 0.030 or so from the land base area. Then go run it some and tell me what the piston looks like. Use your 32-1 or 16-1. Better yet just put five tanks through it at 50-1 with no other changes. It's pretty obvious what the sides will look like above the wrist pin area. Please include your pics here because ol' TP will appreciate that 😉

If you ever get your saw back.
Let's stir the pot again sall we?
Others say that about me mainly MM. Strange how when a guy speaks up about it, theft of his things, they magically get returned when others had to step in because the owner refused to give out his return address. But we all know everyone should agree with Cesar or else. Glad to be free of him and the likes there of. He is a sad little man in reality still struggling with his addictions most likey. Don't worry though if someone needs cuttin'.

TP just destroys most things he touches along with so so many others.

TP FTW 🤣

Latest posts

Back