Groundman Basic Knowlege at 3 months

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That depends on the business and how they do it. As you can see, not everyone agrees on one single method. I would assume everyone uses a headset in 2022. But we can also see that's not the case.
You can assume anything you want, but that doesn't make you any more correct. You have zero experience and you have no idea what goes on in the real world. Everything looks good and easy on Youtube......
Nothing "depends on the business". There are rules and regulations that everyone should be following. The most important basic rule is the guy in the tree calls the shots, the ground guys watch him and follow his directions. If they don't, they won't last long.....

I don't see why someone with no experience is even responding to this post. This is arborist 101, read the forum description.
Another red herring reply. You can't address the issue at hand, so you bring up another one to try and discredit me.

Not a good look for "experienced" brahs.

You can assume anything you want, but that doesn't make you any more correct. You have zero experience and you have no idea what goes on in the real world. Everything looks good and easy on Youtube......
Nothing "depends on the business". There are rules and regulations that everyone should be following. The most important basic rule is the guy in the tree calls the shots, the ground guys watch him and follow his directions. If they don't, they won't last long.....
This isn't a very bright reply and you only discredit yourself. But Ill entertain it. I guess all electricians should learn how to do electrical work through "experience" LMAO. Or how about a doctor cutting into your guts without this so called "theoritical" work. LMAO.

There is nothing wrong with me going about tree work the theoretical way first. Many important professions does so this way. I'm not some young kid btw. I'm in my 30s with knowledge in many different fields and disciplines, thanks to this so called "theoretical work" aka reading a book.

This isn't a very bright reply and you only discredit yourself. But Ill entertain it. I guess all electricians should learn how to do electrical work through "experience" LMAO. Or how about a doctor cutting into your guts without this so called "theoritical" work. LMAO.

There is nothing wrong with me going about tree work the theoretical way first. Many important professions does so this way. I'm not some young kid btw. I'm in my 30s with knowledge in many different fields and disciplines, thanks to this so called "theoretical work" aka reading a book.
Yes, and electricians then do an apprenticeship, work their way up to journeymen, before becoming a master electrician... poor analogy.

There is no "theoretical way" to do tree work. Reading about doing it in no way prepares you for the reality of actually doing it. Know-it-alls come and go all the time. Every one that I have seen talked a big story but not a one could actually do the work when asked to.....
Have you ever even used a chain saw? Can you sharpen a chain in the field with a file? Ever actually held a rope in your hands or tied a few knots or done any rigging? It looks easy on the pages of a book.......
If you were to somehow get hired by a tree company, you would be treated just like any other off-the-street hire. Knows nothing, requires supervision and training before being allowed to work independently.
You do realize that surgeons do years of internship and residency before actually going out on their own, right? And thats after years of medical school were there is a lot of hands on work, not just your so-called "theoretical work".....

Totally clueless......

There is no "theoretical way" to do tree work. Reading about doing it in no way prepares you for the reality of actually doing it. Know-it-alls come and go all the time. Every one that I have seen talked a big story but not a one could actually do the work when asked to.....
Have you ever even used a chain saw? Can you sharpen a chain in the field with a file? Ever actually held a rope in your hands or tied a few knots or done any rigging? It looks easy on the pages of a book.......
If you were to somehow get hired by a tree company, you would be treated just like any other off-the-street hire. Knows nothing, requires supervision and training before being allowed to work independently.
You do realize that surgeons do years of internship and residency before actually going out on their own, right? And thats after years of medical school were there is a lot of hands on work, not just your so-called "theoretical work".....

Totally clueless......
Done feeding this troll, lol

Another red herring reply. You can't address the issue at hand, so you bring up another one to try and discredit me.

Not a good look for "experienced" brahs.

You need to study up on that logic stuff a bit more. That wasn't a red herring response, and any author's qualifications are indeed pertinent to an argument about contested facts.

Just a side note: I wouldn't advise that you make this an argument with me about logic. That isn't what this thread is for.

You need to study up on that logic stuff a bit more. That wasn't a red herring response, and any author's qualifications are indeed pertinent to an argument about contested facts.

Just a side note: I wouldn't advise that you make this an argument with me about logic. That isn't what this thread is for.
He did address my original post but he also veered off about other things such as my inexperience.

I think that because I told him that experience was important, he thinks he "knows" everything now. But I've seen people with "experience" destroy houses and seriously injure themselves. Having "experience" doesn't mean you have all the say. Far from it. You can still be a ****** arborist even with work experience.

No. Its what common sense says.

And it's what some licensed arborist does already.

Careful who you take a shot at buddy. Cause Ill make you look stupid.

And instead of trying to take a shot at me, try to think when you speak. Because how is a grounds men suppose to do any type of ground work if they are gawking at the person in the tree the entire time?
There are plenty of times when a view of what is hasppening aloft to the groundman is partially obstructed that radios would be important.

Comms a must no. But super helpful and a practical tool to have yes. Helps to build comradery in the crew. I feel it helps the less experienced guys a chance to listen and hear from the more experienced guys what is going on. Making them ever more useful then a warm body wondering about the site.

I really like the fact that you know longer have to yell across the job or over the chipper or saw to get someones attention.

Theory can be useful, but practical work experience is key to becoming or being a good tree worker.

Groundie written by jeff jepson is a good resource as well.

I would add rope management to list as most ground guys are terrible at it.

Comms a must no. But super helpful and a practical tool to have yes. Helps to build comradery in the crew. I feel it helps the less experienced guys a chance to listen and hear from the more experienced guys what is going on. Making them ever more useful then a warm body wondering about the site.

I really like the fact that you know longer have to yell across the job or over the chipper or saw to get someones attention.

Theory can be useful, but practical work experience is key to becoming or being a good tree worker.

Groundie writing by jeff jepson is a good resource as well.

I would add rope management to list as most ground guys are terrible at it.
Hey Jason....happy new year. Hope all is well.

Recently, I have been promoted to foreman of a small company. Along with the title comes some tasks that I'm finding difficult to address. That being said, what do Ya'll believe is the basic knowledge that a groundman should have learned by his 3rd month? The list below is anything but comprehensive.

My List
Port-a-wrap or similar lowering device
Knots: Timber Hitch, Cow Hitch, Clove Hitch & Slipped Variation, Running Bowline, Sheets Bend
Properly clean, dress, & sharpen a saw
Maintain equipment checklists
SAFE equipment & saw operation
General Site Awareness
Rope locations and proximity to chipper or saws
Cutting or dropping being performed
Obstacles and coworkers during lowering operations
Job site cone placement and pedestrian traffic

Nice pissing match in here.
I'm a retiring climber who had his own buss and then closed it to climb. Radios are for climbers and cranes, guys in the bush or maybe me up top but blind to the rope guy. Not much use beyond that and different languages don't mix either. Hand signals work best in high noise environments most times.
K.I.S.S.
Is everyone still alive in your crew?... yes... then your off to a good start. If your the boss make them listen or fire their ass. Moral is everything so don't be a dik.

My vote is for the headset communication. One time I couldn't even see the ground guy there was so much foliage. The headset communication was excellent, and I will never be without it.
What headset did/do you use? I am looking to purchase a blue tooth headset system and looking for recommendations.

Sena from Sherrilltree. But I haven't used any other brand to compare it to. Worked fine for me. Not sure how many senas can be in a group, where you can communicate with say 5 others, without having to interface with the Sena unit to quit one Sena and advance to another. Where everybody can communicate with each other, may be a better way of saying it.

Latest posts

Back