groundmen (drive me nuts, make me laugh,....)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I pay my ground guys well, buy them lunch, invite them over to the house for dinner, even help them out from time to time on case by case basis , I guess I treat them like family in turn they treat me the same.
that being said , the plan is to get a mini skid this season, thats like 1 1/2 groundies i think....

Wow, climbers and owners dont like hearing the truth.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk 2

Not to ruffle any feather's here, and this may be a regional thing, but the guy's that think they deserve more and can prove it here in my area can pretty much get what they want.

Does the climber know that last month's fuel bill was $30,000? Nope,,
I could go on an add a whole bunch of the cost to run a tree biz, but it sound's like you are not the owner of a tree service. Just a guess, I am just reading you as someone who thinks the boss makes a boat-load of money off your hard work and you deserve more of the pie ? anyway,, take a look of the 'Pie Chart' of the boss,,,,
I agree that the pay can suck, When I was free lancing, I was so happy and living good. I would hook up with tree company's and got some rep here. I did not care about their equiptment issue's or anything else , I climb, come down, you pay me, bye.
Now in management for the last 13 years, I see the massive cost to run a biz, again ,regional,
I think if someone is serious about this field of work, they will take the good with the bad.
Jeff

Paid my last gm 20 bucks an hour and had a guy for 6 years before that...20 bucks an hour. Take your head outta your ascs and you will be back in reality. I don't put up with schit...they don't like that. Last guy of the 4 called me yesterday and asked that if his wife calls would I please tell her he is still working for me. He left my $4,500. 1 yr. old dump trailer unprotected in my equipment lot when I told him to block it with the truck and it was stolen. Didn't even fire him for that. He tells me one day he's gonna take off for an interview for a job with the railroad. He still wants my job but is just gonna check it out. I said I will likely have someone else the day after he interviews...where are these people's minds.

Guy before that 20 bucks an hour, works three days, does everything perfect, even does a difficult td, doesn't show up on 4th day. His mom called me on the ad. 27 years old and his kid and him live with mom and dad. Worked for just about every co. in Cinci. I asked a friend owner he worked for...says he is a intravein. heroin addict and a thief (one goes with the other).

Guy before that works for couple of weeks, again 26, lives with mom and dad, has his kid with him, no mom. Sketchy work involvement, then one day I am up in a tree doing a td and he gets a call (always sneaking the phone), and his kid got bit by a spider. He walks off the job while I am in the tree. Fired! Guy before that, again sketchy work, and like most gm's ....TALK their fool asses off. Started taking down the wrong large bush on the job. I pointed right at it and it was DEAD evergreen. Almost fired. GAWD...could that guy flap his lips, Guiness TAlk champion. GAWD....end issue, he is running my Yota and it overheats. Put some damn coolant in it. No..overheats and blows a headgasket. $1,200. Fired.

Guy before that...works for me for over 6 years. Train him on everything. Help and pay towards his CDL, Cert Arb., Pest lic. Teach him thousand things. $20 an hour for years. Gets married and quits. Wife thinks he is so smart prob. should be President of General Motors. Takes a job with Davey instead. Quits after a short period...Invited me to his wedding just before he quits so he could get some money from me. Not a tiny iota of warning he was gonna quit....right in spring busy season when everyone has landed in a job....
GAwd can a gm talk...

But like I said...all is good in Treevetland as my new gm of 3 days is doing everything perfect, just told me he wants to retire in my company. The sun is shining and everything is copescetic....for now :)

Not to ruffle any feather's here, and this may be a regional thing, but the guy's that think they deserve more and can prove it here in my area can pretty much get what they want.

I could go on an add a whole bunch of the cost to run a tree biz, but it sound's like you are not the owner of a tree service. Just a guess, I am just reading you as someone who thinks the boss makes a boat-load of money off your hard work and you deserve more of the pie ? anyway,, take a look of the 'Pie Chart' of the boss,,,,
I agree that the pay can suck, When I was free lancing, I was so happy and living good. I would hook up with tree company's and got some rep here. I did not care about their equiptment issue's or anything else , I climb, come down, you pay me, bye.
Now in management for the last 13 years, I see the massive cost to run a biz, again ,regional,
I think if someone is serious about this field of work, they will take the good with the bad.
Jeff

I had an employee mouthing off to me one day saying that he isn't getting paid enough and that I was the only one making any money. Guy wasn't worth anymore than what he was getting paid. Whine and ***** about everything always wanted to argue, call in sick at least once a week etc. I said why don't you cut me a cheque for the business and you can run it the way you want. You can pay employees, comp, insurance, fuel, maitenance, equipment etc. You can climb all day like I do, drag brush and lift blocks all day with the boys and then when everyone goes home at the end of the day You can go out until dark meeting with customers and rounding up more work so that You can give your guys a pay cheque every week. I had an ad looking for a guy after I fired that idiot and people would call up and first thing out of their mouth is "what do you pay?" I said Well what are you worth??? People these days think they are worth all kinds of money. Some people are but they usually arent the ones looking for a Job! I had to explain to another employee that you have to earn a raise. Showing up late everyday and then stroll into the shop with a coffee in one hand and a smoke in the other and throwing your foot up on the work bench to tie your boots and then distracting guys that are filing saws isn't going to get you a raise. Guy had a piss poor attitude! But.......Its like that with other jobs too. I have friends that have construction companies and landscaping outfits and they get the same **** with employees. I have a great bunch of guys working for me now. They get paid well and I take care of them pretty good. They appreciate me giving them a job, they want to learn, they bust their asses and want to be there everyday. The more you learn the more you earn!

Hey wizard sleeve, you may be a legend in your own mind, doesnt change the fact your old ass couldnt dream of the production I am a part of. Those crackheads you attract like flies speak volumes about the kind of man you are.

Suzie...got you panties all in a bunch. :cry: I'll send ya a case of vagisil...my compliments...friends now?:popcorn:

Jeff

Jeff, I know you have a ton more experience than I do, but you couldn't be more wrong about me. I think that if you're going to ***** about the lack of "quality" help, that you should look at yourself before denigrating half of the profession. I am well paid and I do what the boss needs done. I run the crane, I climb if its needed, I drag sticks or run a log truck. I own a house, a new truck, and my kid has food on the table every night, because I found a company that values its employees and pays for their abilities.

Suzie...got you panties all in a bunch. :cry: I'll send ya a case of vagisil...my compliments...friends now?:popcorn:

I'll take the vagisil and send you out some laxatives. I know old people have trouble staying regular, maybe that's why you're so cranky.

I have actually had better luck finding good help in recent years. Sadly, the business hasn't enabled me to keep them. We still work together on weekends occasionally. Its always a good experience. I think you need three things to make it all happen. 1) a ground guy that's not a loser 2) an employer that's not a cheap *******, and is willing to teach, and 3) a steady flow of work. Sounds pretty simple, right? Lol. Good luck.

Hey wizard sleeve, you may be a legend in your own mind, doesnt change the fact your old ass couldnt dream of the production I am a part of. Those crackheads you attract like flies speak volumes about the kind of man you are.

Sounds like someone has a buzzard whispering in his ear..

Sounds like someone has a buzzard whispering in his ear..

Last I heard he was working for a muncipality with a stick with a nail on one end picking up used kotex and old rubbers in the park...

just where he belongs. This guy does bring him to mind tho. Is that you out thar oltirdy?

I have actually had better luck finding good help in recent years. Sadly, the business hasn't enabled me to keep them. We still work together on weekends occasionally. Its always a good experience. I think you need three things to make it all happen. 1) a ground guy that's not a loser 2) an employer that's not a cheap *******, and is willing to teach, and 3) a steady flow of work. Sounds pretty simple, right? Lol. Good luck.

One more thing Paul, (3) a steady flow of work ...from your side but they can be the proverbial yard all star but they gotta have staying power. If you make everything right for them....they gotta hang in there. I got one now and he says he gonna stay til he retires...but talk is cheap and everything being right for now...it is most often that THEY let their side down in the deal and things change. Nothing gonna change from my side.

Word. I think the best groundie is a climber. When I have wild thing out, no matter who is in the tree or on the ground, me or him. Things rock. I love the pile polishers (lolly gaggers) They will rake the same pile, over and over, polishing it to the most perfect, symmetrical little pile ya ever seen............. while the others are humping wood. When the others are done, they will run up on the last log to "jump in" and save the day. They will often make a loud vocal noise to insure you see their contribution.

I am beyond screaming at a pile polisher now ************!

Well I guess we all have to admit that this work is not for normal people. Yeah, its time to come clean. No, nobody in their right mind would do this work. Its not even work in today's standards, its a search for fire. See, some people search for the fame and fortune, others dig for fire. That's us, we're diggers and you just can't get a searcher to dig, it would be like trying to hook Elton John up with a girlfriend, its just not going to work.

As diggers for fire we are, we go around in hopes of finding others to dig with us but they, well, they, uh, well, let me just say that digging for fire is something one should do alone but if he has help then it must be realized how crazy and insane and disgusting and hazardous and low paying it is. BUT! if you think that sounds bad try searching for fame and fortune.

Latest posts

Back