Growing fire wood

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sdt7618

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
haven't been around for a while, been busy getting ahead of the game, have about 3 years wood now split and another couple or so sitting to be bucked and split.

Question is, the lengths and some of the splits are starting to sprout shoots, do I waste time knocking them off, or will they help with the seasoning by drawing moisture out of the wood?

Steve

Good question. I just noticed the same thing on my pile, and didn't know what to think of it. I look forward to hearing from the pros on this.

Sometimes Redwood log decks in the spring would look like giant chia pets.

That sounds like something we need to see... :D

I can only imagine a huge chia pet made from Redwood shoots... must've been pretty big shoots too.

As long as you are keeping the wood dry and off the ground, don't worry about it. Any shoots growing out of the wood will die w/out a water source.

I'll see if I have any sprouts left to take pics of. I knocked off most of them. Maybe then you guys can help me ID what the wood type is too. When it comes to most of what I get, I don't pay attention any further than "free".

The pic is of a Wright Power Saw I used to have. It is just a test to make sure I know how to post pics.

Looks like I do!

I've never seen or heard of such a thing...
What kind of wood is that?
'Bout the only type of tree I've seen sprout shoots after it's cut down is Box Elder, but never after buckin' and splittin'.

I've had cherry do it, seems that some trees just don't want to give up & die!!:msp_angry::msp_angry:

I have had Mulberry do that. Even the junk pieces i had laying on the ground around the chunk pile died out after a wile. My guess is that it would help with the seasoning proses"

Back