GRRRRR stihl air filter

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Fine dust

I have always heard that the really fine saw dust was almost like fuel and was burned up in the engine. How about that, a wood fired shain saw!

Ray

In my opinion the MS361 filter sucks. When cutting redwood the filter loads up really badly and when cutting in dusty dirty conditions the filter also gets dirty and covered with grass etc. I think all my saws leak fine sawdust except those with a Max Flow air filter. They don't seem to have a problem with fine sawdust. I do grease the inner filter on my cutoff saw. Concrete dust is a different matter.

In my opinion the MS361 filter sucks. When cutting redwood the filter loads up really badly and when cutting in dusty dirty conditions the filter also gets dirty and covered with grass etc. I think all my saws leak fine sawdust except those with a Max Flow air filter. They don't seem to have a problem with fine sawdust. I do grease the inner filter on my cutoff saw. Concrete dust is a different matter.

So does the MS362, at least mine does. Even with both filters and oiling the mating surfaces I still get lots of "fines" getting through. It's worse than any of my other saws. Lately it just occupys floor space.

on my ms660 i run a max flow air filter kit and i think it works great. that being said my point is to service something like my max flow (even though i know you're running a stock filter) i use the notoil system. which is a reputable manufacturer of air filter products for dirt bikes primarily. their system of cleaning solution, filter oil, and RIM GREASE is what you're looking for. it's the last thing i do after cleaning and oiling my filter. you can run it all around the plate where your filter mounts on a 046/066. but anywhere where your filter bolts up to on the front of the carb on your 362.....i'm assuming they're similar to a 036, that's my only reference. i've never actually had, seen, or opened up a 362. hope this info helps.

On the 362 the "fines" are getting through the filters media. Oiling the filters will help, but then they plug too easily.

On the 362 the "fines" are getting through the filters media. Oiling the filters will help, but then they plug too easily.

I think we have established we can stop the fines from getting around the filter. The issue is what I call pull through, fines are literally being pulled through the filter media. The fleece prefilter does little to mitigate that, it seems to only stop the very large fibers from getting to the flocked filter. Again, as long as it is just wood dust it should not be an issue, it is when the saw is potentially ingesting dirt/dust that a problem could arise.

I had the exact same problem with my MS 361 and I found the fix. First hold the filter against the box it sits on, make sure it's fitting snug all the way around. If that's good, next take off that box and put it and the filter inside the outer cover and check the fit. On mine it was totally obvious a no-fit situation. A piece of the box was hitting the outer cover so I cut it off and no more leakage!

My 441 had the same issue.I solved the problem by trading it for a pair of Jonsereds and haven't had an issue since.:)
Failing that,a light coat of grease is a good idea-and common practice as well.

Latest posts

Back