Guido's Last Hurrah: Part I

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mapleman

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I first met Guido at the Taco House, a small, hole-in-the-wall café in the Mission. But his reputation preceded him long before I heard his Wescos tapping on the hardwood floor. He walked straight to the juke box and plunked in two quarters. Rick James started blaring out the lyrics to “Super Freak” as Guido took a stool at the end of the bar. He wore a cut-off denim shirt and Wrangler Jeans; his thighs were as big as my waist; and he wore a Raider’s cap. It was his way of pissing off all the yuppie Niner fans when he worked in SF.

Guido lived in the Oakland Hills, and he commuted to The City on the BART, his climbing gear in a Klein utility bag and his climbing saw, an 038 w/24’’bar, between his feet. For some reason, he always had one end of the subway car to himself, even though he covered the 038 chain with a sheath.

My climbing partner, John Cozzi, had told me about Guido. He had met him at a Santa Cruz condominium complex where they were taking down big redwoods in 16-foot lengths for milling. All the climbers would lay out their steel cores in the parking lot to see who had the longest flip line. Guido had a 30-footer, so he usually got the biggest tree. Blocking down 16 feet of 28” diameter redwood from over 100 feet up was not for the faint of heart. Sometimes, no matter how hard you set your spurs, the shock of wood bashing wood a few feet below the block would gaff you out. You’d feel like a raggedy-Ann doll, dangling there by your flip line, a 100 feet up.

Guido was never known to use a pole saw. If he ever did, I think he used it to hook in yellow fin when he fished off the San Diego coast. His philosophy was: “Give me a bigger saw.” 020s for him were anchors for his dingy. When he thought his 038 was too small for the job, he’d ask for a 056.

When a big blow with 90mph winds came through the Bay Area one year, closing down the Golden Gate, the Monterrey pines and cypresses in the Presidio got really whacked. Guido was there with his 090 and six-foot bar making undercuts over his head. The guy had a set of cajones grandes…

And.......

What did you say to him?:popcorn:

LT...

Yes, please continue. I am sitting on the edge of my seat. Being that Guido is blocking down chunks approaching 3000#, It doesn't take to much shock to multiply those forces well over the WLL of a standard 3/4" block. I can't see too happy of an ending for Guido if he keeps living that close to the edge...

Yes, please continue. I am sitting on the edge of my seat. Being that Guido is blocking down chunks approaching 3000#, It doesn't take to much shock to multiply those forces well over the WLL of a standard 3/4" block. I can't see too happy of an ending for Guido if he keeps living that close to the edge...

Aww, come-on, you and I both know that crap is there to steer the stuff a little bit. And when used in that capacity its fine.
Now I wouldn't mind the thrill of trying to land a fish like that from 100 plus feet without hitting the trunk. Its been awhile since a worked a device from the ground routinely but its a thrill for sure. In fact, I would like to get into doing more lowering so if anybody wants to give me a shot let me know.
Do they have a lowering competition? That would be cool to see.

And who ain't at least a Rick James fan? THAT"S RICK JAMES B!@#$ !
Hell, I hear that in the morning and well what can I say? I'm a super freak, yeah, and I'm superfreaky OHHH!

Aww, come-on, you and I both know that crap is there to steer the stuff a little bit. And when used in that capacity its fine.
Now I wouldn't mind the thrill of trying to land a fish like that from 100 plus feet without hitting the trunk. Its been awhile since a worked a device from the ground routinely but its a thrill for sure. In fact, I would like to get into doing more lowering so if anybody wants to give me a shot let me know.
Do they have a lowering competition? That would be cool to see.

I have lowered 16' plus tops but that was natural crotching, no block. The block is the weakest link in that scenario. I don't think I'd want to block down a 16' chunk. Number 1 you would need a tag line to safely pull it over in most cases plus I wouldn't want to put that much on my block. Seems like it would be easier to do it in at least 2 pieces. I normally block chunks 4-5' because it is more manageable and easier to push off. Now that's not to say that I don't lower big pieces with the block. I lowered a good sized 25' leader with my block last month but I tip tied it where it was butt heavy and virtually no shock.

Okay Part II is coming up. I had a little trouble hooking into the wireless today. If you thought Guido blocking down 16 footers of redwood was over the edge, then you better tie in for the rest of the story.

First to clear up a couple of points. The Coz and Guido are indeed Italianos, not illegals. Cozzi and I worked Hurricane Bob together.

Blocking down 16-foot sticks of redwood for the mills is an ongoing pursuit in some urban areas of northern Cal, although I haven't done it myself. I have blocked down pine almost that big using an oversized block and turbo 1" bull line. For you sissies who can't accept it, who think Rick James couldn't dance you right off the floor if he were still alive, or who are bored with the story, just stop reading--it's that easy. But for everyone else, here's some more:

PART II

Guido was a hired gun—a contract climber who sold his services to the highest bidder. And in San Francisco, where 120-foot gums, pines, and cypresses grew like towering stalks of broccoli in backyards the size of an elementary school basketball courts, it was a sellers’ market. He generally made $250 a day; that was 1982 dollars, and his day was done once the trunk hit the ground or three o’clock rolled around, whichever came first.

His ground crew’s collective disposition always lightened when Guido descended to the ground, zigzagged through shoulder-high piles of limbs he had rained down, coiled his line, and packed his gear. It would take the six-man crew another two to three hours to chip, load wood, and rake. Like pole saws, rakes and other cleanup tools were as alien to Guido as was the idea he should pace his cuts so the ground crew could keep up. The story circulating among Bay Area tree crews was that one of Guido’s exes had run off with his ground man a few years back, and ever since he’d been burying groundies with brush, often Humboldting his cuts so he could fit extra long tops into the extra tight places.

Another story making the rounds was Guido’s cocaine use. I never heard anyone say they actually saw him packing his nose with blow, and he always showed up for work on time, but the stories persisted anyway. I glanced down to the end of the bar where Guido and a tall, lanky climber everyone called Spider were talking. Guido fingered a purplish scar on his left shoulder that disappeared into his sleeveless denim shirt, then rubbed his nose for what seemed like ten minutes.

“Maybe there was some truth to those cocaine rumors,” I thought.

Intermission: I need to post this before I lose it as my connection is going weak.

I'm logging in every 2 hrs. How much popcorn can I eat?:popcorn::popcorn::popcorn:

PART III

Spider didn’t look like a tree man. In fact, with his blond hair curling down his skinny neck to his shoulders, he looked pretty effeminate. There was a story told about him that he had climbed up the pipe housing the cables of the north tower of the Golden Gate Bridge in a cocktail dress and high heels. And that a steel worker had to get up early one Sunday morning to get him down. The steel worker was particularly miffed as he had to walk up the pipe as well because Spider had jammed the trap door that opened into the north tower’s elevator shaft, 400 feet above the water.

Although it was just 11 AM, tree crews were filling up the Taco House. It was early December and what had started out as another gray, drizzly day had turned into 40 mph gale with horizontal rain. I had been working with a climber named Mike, a scientologist who would yodel after sending down big wood. We’d been taking down a big cypress up in the Castro, each of us limbing one side of the tree, and decided to knock off when we couldn’t see our ground man working the Hobbs. Mike and I were drinking Irish coffees, trying to warm up and dry out, and hoping the rain wouldn’t let up.

Mike and I were worked for Tony C., an Italian from Philadelphia who came out west and started a tree service in SF. Tony was the kind of guy who would say stuff like:

“I’d do all the climbing myself, instead of hiring you girls, but I’m the only one smart enough to run this business.”

Or...

“I climbed a big euc once just to prove I could do it. I don’t need to do it again.”

Tony was a wannabe mobster. He would show up at the end of the job when a big tree had been whittled down to a stick, pick up the biggest saw available, knock the trunk down, then get in his pickup and drive away. He had a poster of Joe Frazier hanging over his desk, and a hand gun in the drawer next to his checkbook. When he paid you on Friday, he made sure the drawer was half opened.

Spider, like Guido, only worked in big trees. When I passed them on my way to the john, I heard him ask Guido how many bridges he’d seen yesterday. There are four bridges that cross San Francisco Bay: the Golden Gate; the Richmond-San Rafael Bridge; The Bay Bridge; and the San Mateo-Haywood Bridge. The distance from the Richmond Bridge to the San Mateo is about 40 miles. When a climber tells you it was a two bridge day, it means either he was working on one of SF’s four hills or he was in a good size tree. When a climber tells you it was a three bridge day, he was in a big tree and probably on a hill. When he says it was a four bridge day, he was in a monster tree, hill or no hill.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back