Guys, don't get complacent out there!!!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Brad, I'm glad to hear that your injuries weren't any worse. If nothing else, this thread & the vid gave some of us something to think about.

I haven't been on AS much recently, I'm just now seeing this thread. I'll have to read all the posts later, but from what I did read I sure am glad that I put voidjackass :msp_thumbdn: on my ignore list.

I wish you a speedy recovery Brad. I idolize you and have learned allot from your posts here and on You tube. (that is how I found out about AS). I have learned something else, which is not to take safety lightly. I've ordered some chaps, and I'm going to start wearing my hardhat. I always use eye protection, gloves, and earplugs. Thanks for havin' enough brass to post this as it may save others from unnecessary injury. Get well soon, Mike.

Just a quick update. I'm feeling fine, with no remaining effects... All's well that ends well.

Man, that was a nasty close call... and a good reminder to everyone to not get lax where safety is concerned.

Glad to hear that you're doing okay as it could easily have been a lot worse.

one more thing and this may upset a few dudes and i dont mean to, but man what the hell is up with that old Aluminum Hard Hat? it looks like it was made in 1920..last time i had a look it is 2012 LOL times r a moving...why not have the best out there today husky make the same as stihl as far as helmets go...or go with what was cool in 1920?...:msp_confused:

Don't worry about us and our antiquated tin hats. It's called "making a choice"...something that we're allowed to do here.

You can keep wearing your style and we won't make fun of you for looking like Roger Ramjet the Space Cadet. :cheers:

I wear chaps but don't own a hard hat.After watching this I better put one on the shopping list. I don't know about everyone else but sometimes for me it is not that easy to tell which way a tree wants to fall. Where I cut it is always on hillsides and the trees are far from strait.The base leans one way and the top is twisted the opposite direction. It's always easier to tell someone how they should have done it after the fact.

I'm sitting here hanging my head, that's harrowing.

Animals and trees; they're both w-i-l-d and we try and control them, but they will do as they please regardless of our desire sometimes.

Glad you're okay.

Thank you.

KRS

one more thing and this may upset a few dudes and i dont mean to, but man what the hell is up with that old Aluminum Hard Hat? it looks like it was made in 1920..last time i had a look it is 2012 LOL times r a moving...why not have the best out there today husky make the same as stihl as far as helmets go...or go with what was cool in 1920?...:msp_confused:

because they still work .

The wide brim keeps the rain off and your ears won't get sunburned.
Not everything new is better.

Maybe the main advantage to one of those Space Cadet helmets is that if you get hit with a big enough widow maker to kill you all your broken skull pieces and splattered brain matter will still be contained inside the helmet.

That always makes things easier for the guys that pack you out...they don't have to go around picking up pieces of you with a spoon.

A slab or a limb or a big piece of bark heavy enough to hurt you when you're wearing a tin hat is also probably going to hurt you wearing anything else. The only way to know for sure is real-world testing. Any volunteers?

The primary advantages of plastic or composites over aluminum hard hats:

- do not conduct electricity;
- do not conduct cold temps as much;
- easier for manufacturers to mold to a specific shape;
- molded attachment points for hearing muffs, face shields, etc.;
- less expensive;
- easier to mold in a variety of decorator colors;
- quieter when it rains.

Advantages of aluminum:
- recyclable;
- vintage/classic look;
- no UV degradation;
- block cosmic ray surveillance from commie thought police;
-

As long as you are using a helmet that meets standards, it is mostly a matter of preference.
As has been said before, if you don't wear it, it ain't gonna do you any good.

You can still get the full brim style helmet in plastic or composite materials.

Philbert

The primary advantages of plastic or composites over aluminum hard hats:

- do not conduct electricity;
- do not conduct cold temps as much;
- easier for manufacturers to mold to a specific shape;
- molded attachment points for hearing muffs, face shields, etc.;
- less expensive;
- easier to mold in a variety of decorator colors;
- quieter when it rains.

Advantages of aluminum:
- recyclable;
- vintage/classic look;
- no UV degradation;
- block cosmic ray surveillance from commie thought police;
-

As long as you are using a helmet that meets standards, it is mostly a matter of preference.
As has been said before, if you don't wear it, it ain't gonna do you any good.

You can still get the full brim style helmet in plastic or composite materials.

Philbert

There aren't any kevlar or graphite fiber, etc, more exotic materials helmets for forestry, just injection molded bucket plastic or aluminum?

As to UV degradation with plastic, perhaps a cheap spray can of paint might work to slow that down.

There aren't any kevlar or graphite fiber, etc, more exotic materials helmets for forestry, just injection molded bucket plastic or aluminum?
As to UV degradation with plastic, perhaps a cheap spray can of paint might work to slow that down.

There are composite helmets made for a variety of applications. For example, kevlar (and similar products) are used in high heat environments. You could still wear these for forestry applications as they would exceed the requirements. They just cost a whole lot more. You could not, however, wear the forestry helmets in a steel mill.

Here, for example, is a full brim, phenolic/composite helmet for $85.

attachment.php

The UV degradation takes time. Worsens if you leave your plastic hard hat in the rear view window of your car/truck, where it gets baked.

You also have to be careful with paint, tape, stickers, etc., on plastic helmets, as the solvents in some of the adhesives can soften the shell (another point for aluminum - but it won't resist muriatic acid!).

Philbert

Man today I wouldnt be falling any tress here with 30 to 40 mph gust of wind; I was out back behide the barn and heard two tress come down just cant wait till there isnt any wind because those trees will be fire wood :)

because they still work .

All I wear, and I'm fairly sure I wouldn't be here a couple times over had I not been wearing it. It's always kind of interesting to wake up and try and figure out what the hell happened. Still not sure what happened one time......just real happy I had that antique on.

A slab or a limb or a big piece of bark heavy enough to hurt you when you're wearing a tin hat is also probably going to hurt you wearing anything else. The only way to know for sure is real-world testing. Any volunteers?

I'm in...as long as it's only those sissy Doug firs.

Back