Guys, don't get complacent out there!!!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I certain all this has been said before...Every one will "miss read" from time to time...sometimes its wind, sometimes the trunk goes one way but the bulk of the top is weighed a different way..I work alone in the woods, A lot! Seeing that gives me pause. Been there a few times. I've learned to take what many might conciser a Chicken **** approach to situations that rapidly have become out of my control, like that pinch. You have to know when its out of your control too..some just get too stubborn.

As soon as I pinch like that.....first thing I do is...step back and re evaluate what going on. In something like that, chances are your not going to be able to use that stuck saw anymore so...

The NEXT thing I do Is shut it down and take off the power head. Leave that bar stuck right where it is..but w/o the power head.

THEN go get my back up saw..I always have one. And build plan around the new situation. ...saved my ass more than a few times taking a cautions approach.

Sorry again for the accident, but glad you can make all of us think a little about the risk we all take.

Last edited:
First off I am glad you posted this Brad, I am surprised in a good way that you did, takes a lot of ballz to post something like this. You don't need me to tell you how lucky you are and that it could have easily killed you deader than a post or what you did wrong. We have all made mistakes out there and just be thankful that when we do we are able to go home, not everybody is that lucky. Thanks for posting and I know I am taking some lessons away with me from your post. The biggest one being:

When you port saws, you want to cut down bigger trees,
when you cut down bigger trees, you get hit in the head with branches,
when you get hit in the head with branches, you get H's embedded in your fore head,
when you get H's embedded in your fore head people start to think that you like Huskies,
when people start to think you like Huskies, they start to call you names,
don't get called names, stop porting saws.

JK, glad you walked away from it all.

Hey Brad I am glad you're still vertical! Your incident and the way you posted it should help us all. I just hope it is your last brush with the grim reaper. Heal quick and get back out there.

Hey Brad I am glad you're still vertical! Your incident and the way you posted it should help us all. I just hope it is your last brush with the grim reaper. Heal quick and get back out there.

Wasn't going to add anything, but I'll second that.

Plastic hard hats are cheap. If you're tipping a tree, wear one. I've been knocked on my ass plenty, but always with the hat on. Extremely cheap insurance. Glad you're alive. A lot of guys aren't.

When you port saws, you want to cut down bigger trees,
when you cut down bigger trees, you get hit in the head with branches,
when you get hit in the head with branches, you get H's embedded in your fore head,
when you get H's embedded in your fore head people start to think that you like Huskies,
when people start to think you like Huskies, they start to call you names,
don't get called names, stop porting saws.

JK, glad you walked away from it all.

OR....

All cats are animals
All dogs are animals
All dogs are cats!

The best deal I've found on the Kask Super Plasma is $115.95. The clear shield is $49.95. I've emailed to see if there would be a discount for 10 or more. I've also contacted Grande Dog to see if he can get them.

This place has the helmets for $108 but I do not see the clear visors listed. They have the smoke at $58 which is $1.95 cheaper than the next best place I've found. You should be able to get most places to at least price match. Then start talking about a quantity discount.

Start Rescue Confined Space Training and Rescue Equipment: CMC Super Plasma Helmets by KASK, Helmets/Personal Gear, 346200

Treestuff.com says they will match prices (FAQ #3) and has a 5% discount just for finding it in their FAQ (FAQs #1). Five percent off $108 would take the price down to $102.60 each. They also offer free shipping (FAQ #14) on orders over $100 and bulk or corporate discounts (FAQ #8) so you could probably get some more off there. Plus they're a site sponsor so they might take off a little more for that too. You could probably use the price difference on the smoke shields to get them to lower the clear ones $1.95 too. With the $1.95 off and the 5% discount that would take the clear shields down to $45.60 before any quantity discount.

-Eric

Last edited:
Glad you're OK man. When things like this happen and you make it through, you bring more knowledge to the table next time. It's good to have a close call or two just to keep you on your toes, as long as it don't bury you first.

I hope this video teaches a free lesson to those who don't take tree cutting seriously.

Another lesson would be: if you're not getting paid good money to cut a tricky tree then just leave it there. No use in getting killed for nothing.

This place has the helmets for $108 but I do not see the clear visors listed. They have the smoke at $58 which is $1.95 cheaper than the next best place I've found. You should be able to get most places to at least price match. Then start talking about a quantity discount.

Start Rescue Confined Space Training and Rescue Equipment: CMC Super Plasma Helmets by KASK, Helmets/Personal Gear, 346200

Treestuff.com says they will match prices (FAQ #3) and has a 5% discount just for finding it in their FAQ (FAQs #1). Five percent off $108 would take the price down to $102.60 each. They also offer free shipping (FAQ #14) on orders over $100 and bulk or corporate discounts (FAQ #8) so you could probably get some more off there. Plus they're a site sponsor so they might take off a little more for that too. You could probably use the price difference on the smoke shields to get them to lower the clear ones $1.95 too. With the $1.95 off and the 5% discount that would take the clear shields down to $45.60 before any quantity discount.

-Eric

WOW! that was alot of research. someone get this man a cigar

Wow! I just decided to read this thread. Brad, I'm truly sorry to hear of your injuries and I am glad you're all right. Your threads and comments are some of my favorites and among the most informative. My prayers are for your speedy and complete recovery. God bless.

Steve

The best deal I've found on the Kask Super Plasma is $115.95. The clear shield is $49.95. I've emailed to see if there would be a discount for 10 or more. I've also contacted Grande Dog to see if he can get them.

The Kasks look like very good arborist hard-hats--thinking of getting one for my climbing gear (I've just been using my Husqvarna chainsaw hat).

For ground work these timberjacks look like good helmets too:
TimberJak Premium Helmet
attachment.php

View attachment 224234

The one in the pic has a visor under the brim as well as a face shield. Although they dont come with chin-straps, they have the connection points for them. As the face shield on my Husky helmet has been broken for some time (sprung branch), Im thinking of getting one of these...the husky will have to be demoted to a construction hard-hat.

Or, you could go truly over the top and get one of these with built in AM/FM+Two-way and organics filter for the exhaust. :rock:
224235d1329402931-skidoo-modular-2-white-jpg

View attachment 224235

Last edited:
So...if Brad had accidentally shot himself in the foot, we'd all be shopping for steel-toed boots?

Unbelievable...

So...if Brad had accidentally shot himself in the foot, we'd all be shopping for steel-toed boots?

Unbelievable...

Umm...yeah. So, Brad, please don't drop a tree on your truck. Because then I'd have an excuse to go buy an up-armored forwarder:msp_tongue:

Maybe he's right--when an incident discussion comes up, we really shouldn't acknoledge the role of PPE. After all, if we just focused on process and thinking we would never have any accidents and PPE would be not be needed right? Come to think of it, I'll bet PPE's just a racket in cahoots with insurance companies.
[/sarcasm off]

Last edited:

Unbelievable...

PPE's are a good thing. I wear steel toe boots...have to at work and learned to bring that mentality home & blend it with my 25plus years of racing motorcycles. I wear my Stihl brand Head PPE, hard hat/face screen. Don't like the clear plastic stuff as it fogs over.

I wear Boots, Pants with knee pads, gloves, helmet, etc every time I ride my dirt bikes..and a good solid helmet every time I ride my Street bikes. Comfort of boots gloves and helmet are critical to the experience. Same as gloves and head gear are critical to working the saws.

SO..yea you pay attention to things that go wrong and to a discussion of PPE's that might have helped! And when folks come forward with a concept that better and especially more comfortable to help give more effective PPE protection and make it more comfortable to do the task at hand be it riding motorcycles, changing plow blades, or cutting trees.

And I get shut down every time I bring it up with the females in the house...and now when they come back from the barn with a mashed foot stepped on by a horse.....as happened last week. Concerned but less sympathetic.

Last edited:
Maybe he's right--when an incident discussion comes up, we really shouldn't acknoledge the role of PPE. After all, if we just focused on process and thinking we would never have any accidents and PPE would be not be needed right? Come to think of it, I'll bet PPE's just a racket in cahoots with insurance companies.
[/sarcasm off]

The point is that this hasn't been an incident discussion. I didn't say PPE shouldn't be discussed, I said the root cause of the accident should be. Show a picture of the stump, break down what broke down, and discuss measures to avoid creating a similar situation.[/drama queen suppressor off]

Unbelievable...

I think you might have forgotten to turn your drama-queen supression on for your earlier post:msp_rolleyes:

Seriously, people have been discussing both actions/choices as well as PPE. Just seems kind of strange to have someone start lamenting the PPE side discussion or even *gasp* start actually talking about buying PPE. The comment in quotes sounds like the type of thing you might expect from a sit-com grandma...not an experienced chainsawyer.

IMHO, the PPE is made for a reason, and any discussion of it is a welcome thing.

Last edited:
Widowmakers are spooky! Glad you're alright, Brad.

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/Sr6lDBbOQdo" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Back