Hack and Slash Saw Mods!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
HELSEL said:
I have been reading A.S. for along time,AND YOU SPACEDONKEY HAVE NOT PUT ONE GOOD POST ON HERE. That is my thoughts on you!!!! As far as Art Martin It is hard to judge a man you dont even know.

Rick :dizzy:
And I suppose I should be a bit more specific to eliminate any wiggle room. What are your thoughts on the way Art Martin was treated considering all of the free information he posted?

Crofter said:
Hey Crofter, you have diareeha of the vocal cords once again.
After all your big words and rapsodic bullsh1t, you still haven't said anything.
Don't make me call in RJS!
John

Below is a link to some material you may find of use on your saw modification course, John
http://www.arboristsite.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=19472&d=1103382562

I didnt want to tell any body where this came from,But now I will this came out of your pants when E.J. smoked your SAWS with a bone stock saw.So tell all of us what you know about port work.Yes im so jealous of who ever you might be talking about,hope it is not you.E.J. is gona be back this year.But he is not coming alone.From what I was told I hope you learned alot from last year!!!!!!!!

Rick

bwalker said:
Who is E.J.?

Ben he lives right up close to you. He has been racing saws for along time.I dont know how to spell his last name.I think it is McNamara.He has a lot of mod saws.He has some real good stock saws also.I will try to find the name of the town up there and let you know.

Rick

bwalker said:
Rick, does he build saws? Is he from Newberry?

Yes he is from Newberry, But Cliff builds most of his saws. I think D&D built his bike saws.

Rick

bwalker said:
Rick, does Cliff build any work saws?

Ben. Cliff does not build work saws, not even for himself. He is very happy the way the factory puts them out. He is building a 385 right now, for me to race Russ with at the Michigan GTG, but that is the only woods saw I've ever known him to mess with. He likes his alcohol burning saws,

RICK

My post seems to have been lost in the muck long ago. Again, what is a bottleneck? We would all like to know--us inexperienced saw builders.

A bottleneck is any perceived shortcoming (be it design, wear, or snafu) which prevents other systems or assemblies from acheiving their full potential.

You know, choelesterol in the artery of progress.

I'm not a builder, but I do understand what they're talking about. A bottleneck is something that restricts, in this case flow. In a lot of the newest saws, the most obvious and easy to deal with bottleneck is the muffler. Think liquid. If you have a 1/2" garden hose, it might flow 3 gallons a minute at 60 lbs pressure. Change that to a 2 1/2" fire hose, you up the volume to maybe a hundred gallons a minute. Numbers are pulled out of thin air for example.

Any saw has areas that limit its air/fuel flow and/or exhaust flow. Changing these things CAN improve the saw, and/or move the torque/horsepower up/down in the rpm range.

What works on one saw, say a 460 stihl, will not neccesarily work on another, say a 372 husky. I'd be really surprised if the same mod on two very different saws would have the same result. 2mm off a piston might be just the thing to wake up one model of saw and could be an absolute disaster on another. The "bottleneck" could be something else entirely on another saw.
To do a "seat of the pants" mod is guesswork. Lots of experience would up the odds, I don't mess with mine because I figure I stand a bigger chance of screwing it up than improving things. In other words, I know enough to know I don't know enough!:laugh:

If I was guessing, I'd say that there are mods that work on "families" of saws, like muffler mods on the newer choked out saws.

Clear as mud?

Patrick

bugfart said:
A bottleneck is any perceived shortcoming (be it design, wear, or snafu) which prevents other systems or assemblies from acheiving their full potential.

You know, choelesterol in the artery of progress.
Or, a dollar waiting on a nickle. ;)

Or the magnetic draw of a magneto slowing down the flywheel with a weighty coil and spark plug to acheive a simple spark.

Why cant we have something "thwapping" a quartz crystal like a bic lighter. Would you belive a 9v battery and contacts? Anything else please.

Crofter said:
It is pretty apparent to people who know what is going on, that at the present time a number of people are jealous of another saw builder and trying in any way to discredit or create static for him. Of course we all know that Dennis is pure as the driven snow, don't we. Now mind you, anyone who is undecided at this point should probably follow gypos free advice. After all he has nothing to lose. If they figure they have nothing to lose either, then the decision is a no brainer. Now myself I would be sceptical of doing things without measuring and checking a number of things. Maybe because I have seen screwups from the sense of adventure being bigger than the knowledge. I think you have a hard position to sell but I know you will convince some to give it a shot. Go for it!

I guess a guys dammed if you do and dammed if you don't around here according to you Frankie. Pound on someone for something and you whine about it, do should something helpful and you whine somemore. Get a grip you old cull!

And why would I be jealous of any saw builder here Frankie? I can build anything I need for your information, work saws, race saws or any kind race or work chain. I do see on the other hand why you would be jealous though. You can't build a saw worth a dam, your attempt at building race chain has been a joke and you're a sniveling whiner. Sometimes the truth just hurts EH!
And quit being so sceptical, it's an early form of dementia. Hahahaha!

Last edited:
Things could always be worse.

unicycle.jpg

Used by Tea Cups "The Gay Clown" to clear Saudi Arabian mine fields. Note: The seat was never used.

Crofter said:
Well Rick I am sure that a lot of folks will blow their coffee on the keyboard to hear you ticking someone off about being derogatory. What made You think I was talking about you being jealous! but now that you have as much as admitted it, either live with it or get over it! As far as me trying to be something I am not, you can forget about that too. I am someone like a lot of others that is getting tired of the BS and calling it for what it is. I am not in the competition game and I am not someone who is awed by it. I am enough of a mechanic to know when someone is simply regurgitating a bit of pap. Gypo would laugh like a fiend if someone did really screw up their saw and claim that the whole thing was just a joke. You make it sound like I was trying to keep someone from getting to the pearly gates. Sure and I'm the devil incarnate and Gypo is the good shepherd! You should go on Oprah!

You could have fooled me!
Hahaha:blob2:
FrankCrofter026.jpg

Gypo Logger said:
You could have fooled me!
Hahaha:blob2:
FrankCrofter026.jpg

Clean shirt, new shoes
and I don't know where I am goin' to.
Silk suit,black tie,
I don't need a reason why.
They come runnin' just as fast as they can
coz every girl crazy 'bout a sharp dressed man.

Gold watch, diamond ring,
I ain't missin'not a single thing.
And cufflinks, stick pin
when I step out I'm gonna do you in.

Top coat, top hat,
I don't worry coz my wallet's fat.
Black shades, white gloves,
lookin' sharp and lookin' for love.

ZZTop

HELSEL said:
He has some real good stock saws also.

Rick

what does that mean? like there is nothing stock about a stock car?

will there be a michigan gtg........so i can be bound?

Back