Hack and Slash Saw Mods!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Crofter said:
I think that is one of thum thar biting retorts! That thread where he runs around frothing at the mouth wanting to get at ED is kind of funny,

He will be at Webster too.So it looks like the chase is over. :D

Seems like that ED fellow must be a worth opponent if so many people want to test his mettle and count coup! Actually I thought he was kind of a quiet unassuming guy.

Crofter said:
Seems like that ED fellow must be a worth opponent if so many people want to test his mettle and count coup! Actually I thought he was kind of a quiet unassuming guy.

No we was testing you Frank. Meanhusqvarna gave us your grade.He must have seen you in action. :laugh:

Rick

I'd like to see the effect of shaving a piston on a saw that isn't "piston ported". One point that should be made is these are piston ported saws. Huskies and about any Stihl should be the best candidates.

Just meant as input. I'd be interested in any experiences or views.

spacemule said:
Don't sell yourself short, Wanker. Everytime you buy a Husky it helps Stihl's image. :laugh:

Hey Spacecull, everytime you start cutting on yourself with a Stihl or Husky it helps your image:blob2:
Isn't that why you had to seek Phsychiatric help in the first place?:blob2:
Don't make me get out the broom handle!
Hahaha
John
HH17.jpg

skwerl said:
Frank, ****. If only 'experts' were allowed to offer any advice on this site, no one would be able to post anything. Gypo never tried to present himself as any sort of expert or authority on saw mods, he was pretty much just documenting and photographing his own experimentation using info he's gained from other saw builders.

I find it very similar to how I documented my experimentation with and transition to advanced climbing hitches a few years ago. I did it very openly so others could learn along with me. So again, **** and siddown so some of us can enjoy Gypo's early attempts to modify a saw.

That a boy Rocky.
Thankyou

can't believe I read this whole thread!!!

what's wrong with folks doing basic mods and picking up the low hanging fruit? seems a healthy chunk of the gains are achieved by muffler mod and basic smoothing/matching ports. I'll leave the hotsaw mods to the pro's.

a lot follows the 80/20 rule. it may aply here too. meaning 80% of the gain is achieved by doing 20% of the work. but getting next 20% requires doing 80% more work. I may be full of sh*t here :D

almost anyone with basic tools can do a workable muffler mod. cleaning up the exhaust/intake ports matching up components to improve flow is not rocket science.

only thing even remotely critical in a muffler mod is size of exhaust hole.

duplicating proven mod dimensions is not that dificult. now the work of coming up with those critical dimensions is another matter.

all this assumes one is a decent mechanic, which if you are not. naturally will not be doing these mods anyways.

Gypo thanks for sharing your basic mods info...

carbide bits.JPG

stihl 064.JPG

Last edited:
046 said:
can't believe I read this whole thread!!!

what's wrong with folks doing basic mods and picking up the low hanging fruit? seems a healthy chunk of the gains are achieved by muffler mod and basic smoothing/matching ports. I'll leave the hotsaw mods to the pro's.

a lot follows the 80/20 rule. it may aply here too. meaning 80% of the gain is achieved by doing 20% of the work. but getting next 20% requires doing 80% more work. I may be full of sh*t here :D

almost anyone with basic tools can do a workable muffler mod. cleaning up the exhaust/intake ports matching up components to improve flow is not rocket science.

only thing even remotely critical in a muffler mod is size of exhaust hole.

duplicating proven mod dimensions is not that dificult. now the work of coming up with those critical dimensions is another matter.

all this assumes one is a decent mechanic, which if you are not. naturally will not be doing these mods anyways.

Gypo thanks for sharing your basic mods info...

carbide bits.JPG

stihl 064.JPG
I use a straight 1/4" cylindrical carbide burr, 1/2" spherical carbide for chamfering, split collet with 240, then 320 with ATF for polishing. Same Blue-point mini-die-grinder. I measure from the base of the cylinder with a Mitutoyo 8" digital caliper, works very effectively.

I just read this whole thread again and man is there some funny Stuff in here. Read away Boys and learn something.....Hahahahahahaha!

Yea it's so easy even a caveman can do it.

Seriously this thread is what got me into modding saws.
I don't like when someone is criticizing instead of helping.

Latest posts

Back