Hackberry log....looking for a large mill in illinois

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

burtle

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
I have a Hackberry log I'm wanting milled. Its about 52" from one side to the other. Does anyone have suggestions on where I can find someone with a mill large enough to mill it in Illinois? Do you guys suggest having it quarter sawn? I've never worked with Hackberry, but I've heard good and bad things about it. I've called about 10 people in Illinois from the sawmill directory and no one has a mill large enough.
I want a few live edge slabs before quarter sawn if that's the route I go. or do you guys suggest not quarter sawing it ?

Picture came through nicely
The way you’re liking these to be Milled
be a good candidate for one of the swing blade mills
With a decaded or slabber attachment. Wish these
were in my neighborhood. If you could be on site
as these were being milled (even helping) it be easy
enough to switch around flat to quarter sawn when milling
to get the desired grain pattern.

I have a Hackberry log I'm wanting milled. Its about 52" from one side to the other. Does anyone have suggestions on where I can find someone with a mill large enough to mill it in Illinois? Do you guys suggest having it quarter sawn? I've never worked with Hackberry, but I've heard good and bad things about it. I've called about 10 people in Illinois from the sawmill directory and no one has a mill large enough.
I want a few live edge slabs before quarter sawn if that's the route I go. or do you guys suggest not quarter sawing it ?
If you were closer ;) Not much more than 125 miles like Mascoutah east of St. Louis was a nice trip to meet Uncle Moustache and another member who had his first CS milling experience that day. My Simmington is a couple miles away and the depot just opened for pickup. The learning loop will be from a short bar, then I place the chain off the 60" bar to prepare for a 15' log. I hope to have timbers for framing joinery practice. However you want to slice up that log will teach more than you expect
Stay safe while you enjoy

Back