Hackberry

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Driftwood

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I have a handfull of dead standing hackberrys. I cut a bunch for an outdoor fireplace and it seemed to burn fairly well. I also have an indoor woodstove that I was thinking about burning some in. This is my first year with and indoor stove and I am still working on building up my woodpiles. I have about 2-3 cords of seasoned locust, hedge, and oak. I was thinking about mixing in some of the hackberry. The trees have been dead for about 2 years. Most are still standing most of the bark has fallen off. I am not sure if it is too dry.

Would it be a good idea to mix this in with the harder woods when burning to "stretch" my piles? or should I pass on it?

Not too bad

I usually have some hackberry in my pile it burns fine. A few years ago I ran out of wood early and found some hackberry and burned it alone for almost 3 weeks and it was ok.

Burn it

My family has been burning hackberry for year. No it isn't as good as oak or hickory but it does a pretty nice job.

From my experience Hackberry is very easy to process and is similar to black walnut and red maple on the btu scale. The wood coals well also.

The only rounds (which splitting by hand is required) that I have second thoughts about keeping are elm, sycamore and gum.

Latest posts

Back