Had a good day, reminded me of the time I've spent on AS so I thought I'd share.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wood4heat

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
So lets see if I remember how to do this..

My neighbor stops by a while back and tells me a beaver has been chewing on a maple on his property. He asked if I'd take a look at it and see if Id be able to drop it. I said sure but it would have to be another day. About a week later I was thinking about it and walked down to see what he had, turns out the utility company came and dropped it for him. Next time I saw him drive by I asked if he had any plans for the tree. I know he doesn't burn firewood so it was no surprise when he said it was mine for the taking. :msp_w00t: Another week goes by and I finally had a day to go get it. This thing was a nice big piece of Maple! You can see where the beaver was chewing on it:
View attachment 296792

After my first cut:
View attachment 296793

At this point I'd burned a full tank of fuel through the saw and was probably 3/4's through the tree. If you follow the rounds towards the top of the pic you can see my tool bag sitting on the stump:
View attachment 296794

Getting these giant rounds up to the road was tough, from here the tractor did the heavy lifting for me! Was great for stacking them, just lifted them to the top of the pile and rolled them out of the bucket. First time collecting firewood with the tractor, must say I liked it!
View attachment 296795

And finally stacked by the shop ready to be split. Unfortunately the weather turned on me before I got it all up here.
View attachment 296796

All in all a good day, reminded me of the good times I've had reading all of your threads here on AS!

Was it not close enough to pull with the tractor?

No, it was only about 20' off the road but too steep and tight to get the tractor in there. Could have tried a block and tackle with a choker but there was still probably too many other trees in the way. And I figure packing it out counted as my workout for the day. :lifter:

Also being on the neighbors property I wanted to keep it low impact.

Last edited:
Anyone know why my thumbs are right side up but if I click on them the pics are upside down? Or is it just my phone doing that? :msp_confused:

ya sure have some splittin-n-stackin to do. Way better than not havin' the wood to do it to.
Excellent score! Maybe you could follow those beavers around for the summer. They're pretty good cutters.:msp_biggrin:

Anyone know why my thumbs are right side up but if I click on them the pics are upside down? Or is it just my phone doing that? :msp_confused:

They are right side up for me when I click on them, must be your phone.

BTW, nice score.

Back