Had a problem with a 266

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
pioneerguy600

pioneerguy600

Lost in Space
Staff member
. AS Supporting Member.
All good answers so far but no one yet has come really close,so by bedtime (midnight ) I will post the answer.
I will be away for the next two weeks on a vacation /trip and probably not be able to post until I get back in September.
Pioneerguy600

husq2100

husq2100

Addicted to ArboristSite
Cause I get too many complaints from other readers if the picts are posted on each reply. So far all the guesses are all good ones but they are the fairly common problems associated with chainsaws and this saw had a one in a, I was gonna say a million but that would be inaccurate so lets say it would be rare at best.
Pioneerguy600

Jerry i was referring to the fact that your saw is so pretty it hurts to look at it.

Awesome find mate,

Serg

pioneerguy600

pioneerguy600

Lost in Space
Staff member
. AS Supporting Member.
Jerry i was referring to the fact that your saw is so pretty it hurts to look at it.

Awesome find mate,

Serg

Thanks Serge, when I first looked the saw over in the shop it looks like it never cut wood and when I did start it up it had this problem and so I believe it came this way from the factory. Maybe that is why it was left behind when the owners moved away or they did not have room for it in the truck,it did have old smelly gas in it and a little bar oil under the clutch cover but no saw dust.
Pioneerguy600

pioneerguy600

pioneerguy600

Lost in Space
Staff member
. AS Supporting Member.
OK, NEARING 12 O`clock here and I will tell the problem with this 266. As stated it would start and idle fine but would almost immediately stop when the throttle was opened up. After starting and having the saw stop about the sixth time I had it figured on the gas somehow being shut off, it would start back up with a couple of pulls as I drop start all my saws. The first thing I did was go for the carb and removed the top cover,air filter etc and got down and removed the carb. I could tell that this was the first time any of the screws were out of this saw. I took the carb apart and found a little disc of the metering diaphragm in the fuel bowl that was still stuck down on the high speed orifice that leads to the high speed jet in the carb. The disc is made of the metering diaphragm material that gets punched out for the mounting screws to go through. It was floating around in the fuel bowl and as far as I can tell it would be drawn down hard on the orifice as the gas rushed out when the saw tried to reach wot and block off the gas completely thus shutting off the saw. When I pulled the pullcord on the drop start the saw jerks hard enough that the disc would come loose and let gas through the carb and the saw would idle but as soon as I tried to rev the engine up again it would move to the spot where the gas was going out,the orifice to the jet and block it off completely and the saw would stop suddenly.
I removed that disc and reassembled the saw and it has run flawlessly ever since,even the mixture screws were set correctly and needed no further adjustments. One of the cheapest fixes I have done so far on a nearly new saw. I have been offered $550.00 for it but have not entertained any thoughts of selling it so far.
Thanks to everyone that took a guess at the problem and maybe your diagnosing skills will be en richened by reading all the replies to this thread.
Pioneerguy600

pioneerguy600

pioneerguy600

Lost in Space
Staff member
. AS Supporting Member.
:cry: I was going to say that. Aw just kidding I had no idea. Thats a crazy problem. It was like that from day one huh. That would be aggrivating trying to find that. Way to go.:clap:[/QUOTE

Yes I believe that it came from the manufacturer that way but it may be why I ended up with it, since the saw had no sawdust in it and was essentially clean it probably never worked and may have contributed to the reason it was left behind.
Pioneerguy600

Jkebxjunke

Jkebxjunke

*Politically Incorrect*
so all it was a piece of left over material from the punching process of the diaphragm that didn't get removed... sounds like on in a million. :clap:

pioneerguy600

pioneerguy600

Lost in Space
Staff member
. AS Supporting Member.
someones bad luck became your good luck....

well done, please keep an eye out for 242 and 2100/2101 in similar condition:clap:

Serg

Just built a 242 for a young friend of mine, it was in as good of cosmetic shape as my 266 but was run once on straight gas, new piston and rings and it was up and running fine.
Pioneerguy600

Latest posts