Had a saw taken from my hands today

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I do hope that was just some quick typing there, and that you do know proper escape route planning. When the trunk starts to move, set your chain brake and calmly walk away from the trunk at a 45º angle to the direction of the back cut. Of course the route you take should have been cleared in advance, taking particular care to make sure there is nothing you can trip on. "Straight the hell outta there" kind of implies you run straight back from the cut. Anything the falling trunk disturbs or breaks that gets sent flying in your direction will most likely move at a 180º from the falling trunk.

Hopefully you already know all of that but I'm not so sure the rest of your crew would have explained it like that.

I taught a firewood-cutting-kid open faced notches on some pre-commercial falling work (post harvest cleanup of average 4" stems). He said "this is great, so much faster!" I replied, OK, we are going to start over on this technique and the reasons for it, and falling planning in general.

So the first to do is whack out Mrs Smith's prize roses because its in your escape route?

Latest posts

Back