had some oak donated for firewood

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

badcars2

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
love it, been down 3 years, the saw struggled to cut it down to 16 inch sizes. took all i had to bust some of it up, by the way i am the log splitter, just me and my axe.
believe it or not, it has been down that long and still soaking wet on the inside, weird huh?
just goes to my belief that wood needs to be split and stacked several months before burning..............
again, just the ravings of a lunatic..............

Spliting Wood

I have come to a conclusion that splitting wood is not only a major health benifit, but a physilogical benifit as well. You are oblivously getting the entire respitoryand cardiovascular systems going that is most benifical to ones longevity.The mental aspect that keeps me doing it is that you can see that you have accomplished something benificial. After spending time with my maul and stacking the fruits of my labor, I generally replinish the necessary bodily fluids from a 12 oz can. MAbie more than one!
Getting back to the subject at hand. (Litterally)The most time consuming portion of splitting by hand is selecting the splittee and converting it into kindling! I have deduced that by placing the logs in a row with space between them you are able to split more wood in a lesser amount of time. I hope this helps, Ken

When you say its been down 3 yrs, do you mean blown over by wind or cut down? If it still had roots attached, it would keep growing in some cases. We have some trees in my area that have blown over due to a storm and now have limbs that kept growing. The trunks are horizontal and the limbs are vertical and still growing. Large pecans and oaks are the only ones I've noticed like this though.

I use a couple of old tires stacked on top of each other. Keeps the logs from falling over. I beer every now and then helps some too.

I love splitting firewood by hand as well. Philosophically satisfying. No matter how much trouble the log gives you, you're still gonna burn it in the end.

sawed down

this tree was cut down by a man who promised his mother he would come right back and get it. being of kind heart and a wood freak, i offered to haul it off when i returned her kubota tractor after doing some work for her.................

Back