Halloween Hickory

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wdanforth

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Tree hugger friend is doing a side job 3 miles from my house. He is taking down a huge hickory. He estimates 4 pickup trucks full of Bitternut Hickory. Says his dad will take one truck load and I can have the rest.

His Davey Tree co-worker who is helping on the job say it might be closer to 3 truck loads total. But mentioned the dad is notorious for being a no show. So it looks like 2-4 truck loads of hickory. Wood is green but I don't need it for a couple years.

The best part is he will supply the wood and the beers afterwords. He is just pleased I will make the wood disappear. He burns but has no where to store it for a year.

His one request is for me to bring my Dolmar 7900 for his coworker to try. They are both Stihl guys. My friend tried my 7900 on some cherry this summer and now is a believer.

I offered to bring my saw and buck all the wood my self into firewood length. Actually I am looking forward to watching these two climbers work. My friend is a hell of a climber but has admitted the younger, fitter coworker climbs circles around his aging plump midsection. On this job the youngster is doing the ground work and I am sure much smack will be heard. The youngin told me to just stay out of the way and load the truck.

Should be a fun Saturday afternoon. Forgot to mention his clients are friends of mine from the local VFW.

Last edited:
Free hickory, free beer, and you get to break out the chainsaws. sounds like a perfect day to me.

Long tiring day. I ended up scoring three over loaded full size pickup truck loads of green shag bark hickory. One load of branches from 3" to 10" in diameter. The other two loads were the big stuff.

The two tree guys decided they liked the 7900 over the Stihl 441.

Now for the extra work. We stop at the VFW Post for a couple cold ones.

barman.gif

One of the old time veterans saw my truck full of wood and mentioned he sure could use some to help heat his house. Well I couldn't give him the big unseasoned logs. So I went home unloaded the wood and reloaded my truck full of split seasoned oak. Went to his house and stacked the wood in his carport/wood shed.

I returned to club about an hour and a half later. Of course the old man was still at the bar and had no idea what I did. He left soon after I returned. The veteran soon came back to thank me and wanted to know how in the he!! I split all that wood so fast. I just laughed. My Davey Tree buddy finally told him what I did. Made the old guys day.

Good for you hopefully your good deeds will come back to you. I dying to try out one of those 7900's :chainsawguy:

Paying it forward.

That is the term I use a lot. Paying it forward always comes back around..

That is the term I use a lot. Paying it forward always comes back around..

I just tuned up a friends Sachs dolmar 120 for him -replaved 3 broken AV mounts, patched worn hole in oil tank w. jb weld, new air filter, new fuel filter, new used bar, new used cover, sharpened chain. When asked what he owed I replied, "just clean the air filter more often". give and you will receive!

Well I finished splitting up all the hickory today. Was in the process of stacking the last of it and you will not believe what happened. Was behind a large stacked row and I heard a car door. I am in the backyard about 100 ft off the road there is no driveway just yard. I come out from behind the stacks of wood and some guy had backed his truck up to my wood piles. The guy tells me he heard I was giving away firewood and he was going to get some. Needless to say he didn't get any wood.

What gets me is guy was around 30 and more than able to get his own wood and there is plenty to be had. Didn't ask or anything he was just going to load up. It's one thing for me to drive my truck over my yard, but some stranger to just turf my yard. His truck almost met my splitting maul. I had restraint and told him to leave.
evil1.gif

Long tiring day. I ended up scoring three over loaded full size pickup truck loads of green shag bark hickory. One load of branches from 3" to 10" in diameter. The other two loads were the big stuff.

The two tree guys decided they liked the 7900 over the Stihl 441.

Now for the extra work. We stop at the VFW Post for a couple cold ones.

barman.gif

One of the old time veterans saw my truck full of wood and mentioned he sure could use some to help heat his house. Well I couldn't give him the big unseasoned logs. So I went home unloaded the wood and reloaded my truck full of split seasoned oak. Went to his house and stacked the wood in his carport/wood shed.

I returned to club about an hour and a half later. Of course the old man was still at the bar and had no idea what I did. He left soon after I returned. The veteran soon came back to thank me and wanted to know how in the he!! I split all that wood so fast. I just laughed. My Davey Tree buddy finally told him what I did. Made the old guys day.

You're a class act, wdanforth. I tried a 7900 recently and loved it. Light, powerful, and smooth.

Well I finished splitting up all the hickory today. Was in the process of stacking the last of it and you will not believe what happened. Was behind a large stacked row and I heard a car door. I am in the backyard about 100 ft off the road there is no driveway just yard. I come out from behind the stacks of wood and some guy had backed his truck up to my wood piles. The guy tells me he heard I was giving away firewood and he was going to get some. Needless to say he didn't get any wood.

What gets me is guy was around 30 and more than able to get his own wood and there is plenty to be had. Didn't ask or anything he was just going to load up. It's one thing for me to drive my truck over my yard, but some stranger to just turf my yard. His truck almost met my splitting maul. I had restraint and told him to leave.
evil1.gif

Its unbelievable the balls some people have, as you said it would have been hard for me to restrain myself as well.

He must have thought you cut, split and stacked it all just for the exercise or something.:angry2:

evil1.gif

I hope you got his license plate.

evil1.gif

I bet he voted for Obama.

Latest posts

Back