Hand Filing - Just Give It A Go

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I have heard so many people say that they have tried to learn hand filing and it took 10 years or 20 years. Some that said it’s really hard and no matter what they do they can’t hand file.

This was really what put me off even giving it a go. I tried the 2 in 1 sharpeners and stihls own filing guides and honestly, both absolutely sucked.

I finally just bit the bullet the other day and gave it a go. Of course they aren’t perfect, there is much I need to learn and angles I have to try, but even after the first attempt at hand filing my saw cut sooooooo much better than it did with the other two jigs.

Self feeding beautifully, smooth and loaded the saw nicely

I have zero filing experience and I don’t have particularly good hand eye coordination so if I can anyone can..

I have a lot to learn still, more practise too, but I just wanted to start a post to encourage others to actually give it a go, there are a few things to keep in mind, but get a chain out, watch a few videos online (Buckin’ does a good job teaching) and honestly, you’ll realise that it’s nothing to be reluctant about

Within about an hour of practise I was able to get a fairly decent shape, though they had slightly different angles and some had more and less gullet.

After about 3 hours I was able to control the amount of gullet removed so that I didn’t go too far and also putting in lots of hook and removing it:

Putting lots of hook in

F03D61C1-DAFC-41BC-9E5A-ECA3073C41D3.jpeg

Then removing it:
73048D58-70D5-4D8E-BDD3-44543EAD718E.jpeg

After about 5 hours I can consistently get a decent hook and gullet without needing to look at the side each time.

The take away is, you can do it and don’t be put off by what you hear.

This was after about 1-2 hours of first trying hand filing - no digging the dogs in.

This was after about 4-5 hours

D38B5A51-FFC5-4073-AA00-9A1FCEE1250F.jpegC6463ACB-C15A-4482-9D5F-1E30C101816A.jpeg71D5E477-1DEB-48C7-9A72-9008E92ED0DC.jpeg

The biggest problem I see most hand filers make, if they make any, is letting the file too deep into the gullet. This leads to a too shallow angle on the underside of the top plate. That's the #1 thing a file guide does, it keeps the file up high enough to give a good angle there.

I have heard so many people say that they have tried to learn hand filing and it took 10 years or 20 years. Some that said it’s really hard and no matter what they do they can’t hand file.

This was really what put me off even giving it a go. I tried the 2 in 1 sharpeners and stihls own filing guides and honestly, both absolutely sucked.

I finally just bit the bullet the other day and gave it a go. Of course they aren’t perfect, there is much I need to learn and angles I have to try, but even after the first attempt at hand filing my saw cut sooooooo much better than it did with the other two jigs.

Self feeding beautifully, smooth and loaded the saw nicely

I have zero filing experience and I don’t have particularly good hand eye coordination so if I can anyone can..

I have a lot to learn still, more practise too, but I just wanted to start a post to encourage others to actually give it a go, there are a few things to keep in mind, but get a chain out, watch a few videos online (Buckin’ does a good job teaching) and honestly, you’ll realise that it’s nothing to be reluctant about

Within about an hour of practise I was able to get a fairly decent shape, though they had slightly different angles and some had more and less gullet.

After about 3 hours I was able to control the amount of gullet removed so that I didn’t go too far and also putting in lots of hook and removing it:

Putting lots of hook in

View attachment 875006

Then removing it:
View attachment 875007

After about 5 hours I can consistently get a decent hook and gullet without needing to look at the side each time.

The take away is, you can do it and don’t be put off by what you hear.

This was after about 1-2 hours of first trying hand filing - no digging the dogs in.

This was after about 4-5 hours

View attachment 874991View attachment 874989View attachment 874990

Paying attention to detail and knowing the shape one wants the cutters to look like is the more common overlooked part of hand filing. It takes good concentration, good light and some hand to eye coordination to get a decent cutting chain, all learnable if one puts in some time to learn.

The biggest problem I see most hand filers make, if they make any, is letting the file too deep into the gullet. This leads to a too shallow angle on the underside of the top plate. That's the #1 thing a file guide does, it keeps the file up high enough to give a good angle there.
Hey Bret, interesting observation! Thanks for sharing.

Paying attention to detail and knowing the shape one wants the cutters to look like is the more common overlooked part of hand filing. It takes good concentration, good light and some hand to eye coordination to get a decent cutting chain, all learnable if one puts in some time to learn.
Thanks for the continuously good advice Jerry!

Same, everyone I knew told me hand filing was too hard and to just take my chains in and have them ground.

I got a saw filing kit and gave it a go. It's really NOT that difficult. Especially if you service your chains regularly and don't let them get super dull before you sharpen them. Obviously if you hit metal there's no getting around it, that chain will take a bit of filing.

I've been filling a few years but I was able to start filing chains specific to the types of wood I was cutting in a few months. I had softwood chains and hardwood chains and the cutters were filed differently, not just the different depth gauge heights.

I don't think hand filing is nearly as difficult as people make it out to be. Just takes some time, dedication, and the willingness to learn.

Nice job.

Keeping the gullet ground out too[emoji1303][emoji1303][emoji1303][emoji1303][emoji39][emoji39][emoji41][emoji41]

Now play around with angles and see what cuts best for you

Sent while firmly grasping my redline lubed RAM [emoji231]

I should be working, but couldn’t resist doing a couple of teeth. I got that pretty spot on what the chain calls for (laser mark). I didn’t check the tooth and modify it and check and modify. I just sharpened the tooth and checked it once finished. I’m sure a little luck is involved, but luck only gets you so

0116642D-B891-47A8-8BB0-A0B2659F2B53.jpeg

Not quite so good on this tooth, I must have missed a pass or two so slight up pressure.

F3247656-7D93-4B2B-A8D4-9DD77E929152.jpeg

I should be working, but couldn’t resist doing a couple of teeth. I got that pretty spot on what the chain calls for (laser mark). I didn’t check the tooth and modify it and check and modify. I just sharpened the tooth and checked it once finished. I’m sure a little luck is involved, but luck only gets you so

View attachment 875316

Not quite so good on this tooth, I must have missed a pass or two so slight up pressure.

View attachment 875317

Looking good.

I love doing it free hand now. I just need to watch that when I switch cutter sides the come out the same.

I do a lot of stopping and studying of the cutter.

And IMO so not try to stretch the life of a file. A file that is sub par WILL NOT give you a good edge.

Looking good.

I love doing it free hand now. I just need to watch that when I switch cutter sides the come out the same.

I do a lot of stopping and studying of the cutter.

And IMO so not try to stretch the life of a file. A file that is sub par WILL NOT give you a good edge.

Interesting stuff! I don’t have a stronger or weaker side it seems, being ambidextrous helps. I have found that rhythm helps consistency most though. I have tried really carefully taking the file out and back in but in reality, coming back between the raker and tooth, even though it means I gently brush the raker with the file, gives me a more consistent tooth. Basically as Buckin does. I’m sure it will change with time and as I improve, for now it’s a good starting place.

Interesting stuff! I don’t have a stronger or weaker side it seems, being ambidextrous helps. I have found that rhythm helps consistency most though. I have tried really carefully taking the file out and back in but in reality, coming back between the raker and tooth, even though it means I gently brush the raker with the file, gives me a more consistent tooth. Basically as Buckin does. I’m sure it will change with time and as I improve, for now it’s a good starting place.
Yes.

Began "cutting" firewood with dad before my teens. My "cutting" responsibilities were to keep saws gassed, lubed, adjusted & sharp and to load the wood on the truck or wagon.
Dad would occassionally gas & oil the saw, but if he ever picked up a poorly sharpened saw there'd be h3ll to pay. I learned at early age how to properly hand file a chain.

I touch them up, not file them down, every time I fill up the tank. Or when my feet touch the ground and I'm going back up. Nothing worse than dull when you're up a tree.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Latest posts

Back