hand truck???

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ziggy2b

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
I don't know why everyone under estimates the power or usefullness of a two wheel hand truck?? It second behind my chain saw as must have items..
13" wheels it handles large rounds,bush cut lenghts,and wood cut to size.
If you ever use one in the woods you'll find it makes the job go faster and the job easier:)
thx----------------------------------------------------ziggy2b

I was looking at one of those hand trucks that the landscapers use to move trees. For moving rounds and split stuff.

I never even thought of using mine for that. Got to try it now! Must be easier to get 6-8' lengths to the trail than carrying or dragging!

Not sure how tall my tires are, but they're pneumatic. I think about 12" tall. Sounds like an easier way for me. 10-12" logs 6-8' long should be able to stand them on end and wheel them out to the trail for bucking.

I went to Harbor Freight today to buy their 700 lb. hand truck. It was on sale for $35.99 and I had a 15% off coupon. Unfortunately they didn't have one but I got a raincheck. Another trip and more gas. I guess I should have called first.

A friend of mine has the same one and I used it a little one day. It has the 13" pneumatic tires. I've got a ramp on my trailer so I can just wheel the big stuff up there and put the smaller stuff on my pickup.

Danny

I went to Harbor Freight today to buy their 700 lb. hand truck. It was on sale for $35.99 and I had a 15% off coupon. Unfortunately they didn't have one but I got a raincheck. Another trip and more gas. I guess I should have called first.

A friend of mine has the same one and I used it a little one day. It has the 13" pneumatic tires. I've got a ramp on my trailer so I can just wheel the big stuff up there and put the smaller stuff on my pickup.

Danny

Good to here about you trying out that hand truck. I am looking at my latest HF flyer which has that same hand truck (on sale and a 15% off coupon to cut out). I've been thinking about getting one for quite a while, but until now, haven't had enough excuses to get one. But from reading this thread (and the quoted post), good enough reasons :) . I think it would work best for me when moving the smaller stuff...pieces of firewood that I have to load/move one at at time by hand, I could load/move more in one trip. I have access to "squared-off" Oak blocks from a mill if I want them...a hand truck would be nice for that also. Yep, I need one :) . Now hopefully they'll have one in stock by the time I get to town.

Kevin

The key is the oversized air tires. Very handy for moving 4 footers and or large rounds. Gives you allot further off the beaten track reach too. :cheers:

Good to here about you trying out that hand truck. I am looking at my latest HF flyer which has that same hand truck (on sale and a 15% off coupon to cut out). I've been thinking about getting one for quite a while, but until now, haven't had enough excuses to get one. But from reading this thread (and the quoted post), good enough reasons :) . I think it would work best for me when moving the smaller stuff...pieces of firewood that I have to load/move one at at time by hand, I could load/move more in one trip. I have access to "squared-off" Oak blocks from a mill if I want them...a hand truck would be nice for that also. Yep, I need one :) . Now hopefully they'll have one in stock by the time I get to town.

Kevin

I have a smaller hand truck but it just doesn't have the tire size or the leverage to be useful with big wood. After I get this hand truck I may make a removeable extension on the bottom lip so that the bigger wood won't be as likely to slip off and I would be able to haul more small wood also.

Danny

I have a smaller hand truck but it just doesn't have the tire size or the leverage to be useful with big wood. After I get this hand truck I may make a removeable extension on the bottom lip so that the bigger wood won't be as likely to slip off and I would be able to haul more small wood also.
Danny

Good idea! I had thought of that already (even though I don't have it yet). If I was handy with a welder, I'd do the same thing. Maybe I could find someone local...but first things first, get the hand truck, Kevin :) .

Kevin

Was thinking more on the lines of sprocket & chain to propel it!

Maybe you could get an old chainsaw, take the bar and chain off and hook it to the hand truck. Then you could get one of those little chariots that they use on the back of the industrial lawn mowers to hook to it. Man that thing could be a screamer. Where's Red Green when you need him.

Seriously, I know what you mean. It would make the moving chore a lot easier especially if you have to go uphill. If you decide to do it post some pictures here when you get done. I've saw some amazing things that people on this site have built.

Danny

What model H.F. hand truck are you guys talking about?

I'm a big fan of human power. Most of my firewood is sledded to the trail during winter using an "Otter" sled. You can pull a lot of wood over a trail in the snow.

I also use my H.F. large size garden cart to haul wood, branches, mulch, etc. That baby has 26 inch wheels and a high axle and goes over just about anything. I find it very useful and use it all the time going and out of the woods.

I called and they said they had the hand truck in stock. Went down there and bought it. It looks like it'll do the job.

Danny

IMG_0194.jpg

I called and they said they had the hand truck in stock. Went down there and bought it. It looks like it'll do the job.

Danny

IMG_0194.jpg

What are the dimensions of the plate that holds the load?

Kevin

Back