Handle & FAC for Homie 450/Craftsman 4.5

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chris J.

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
My 'new' saw is in pretty good shape overall, but the cracks in the plastic on the rear handle are pretty bad. For strictly cosmetic purposes I'd like to replace the plastic bits, but I'm not opposed to filling in the cracks, or wrapping them somehow. If you want a looksee, there are a couple of photos in the thread--POS Craftsman, or bulletproof Echo?.

I also noticed that the saw doesn't have an high speed jet. I'd prefer a fully adjustable carb. Acresinternet shows the carb as a Walbro SDC, & someone here once posted that the Homelite 550 carb (also Walbro SDC) is fully adjustable. Since this saw is a relabelled Craftsman, should I be concerned that the card isn't a Walbro SDC?

If anyone can has the handle &/or carb please let me know. If possible, I'd like to work out a trade. I strongly suspect that I paid too much for the saw, & I know that I have too many saw parts sitting around in boxes.

As always your advice, suggestions, & help are much appreciated.

Last edited:
Which model # of Walbro SDC goes on 450, 550?

I hit the net & found quite a few model #s for the Walbro SDC carb. I'm needing the correct # to track down the correct carb.

If you have a fully adjustable carb that'll work on the 450, & you're willing to part with it, let me. Thanks in advance.

Hi Chris,
Have you run her yet? The fixed jet carb may work ok. Here is some IPL's for the 450 and 550.
http://www.outdoordistributors.com/Homelite/homelite-parts-lists.html
450..... ut# 10425
550..... ut# 10497
Also try www.sears.com for your saw parts breakdown. Near the top left side of the page click.. Parts.. Then on the new page that opens at the #2 type in your saws model number. Follow next pages for parts list or diagrams.
What's with not giving run support to R. Clemens? :cry: The guy should be 7 or 8-0. :angry:
Ray

Thanks for the links. I pulled the 450 IPL from CSCC/acresinternet.com this a.m. Yesterday I had problems trying to access CSCC. I found 2 places offering the carb new, $43.49 & $35.06, SNI. The carb boot (a problem area with this HL?) is available. I'd prefer a cheap used carb, & doing a carb kit on it, which I'll probably end up doing anyway if I stick with the fixed jet carb.

It runs for a few seconds if I squirt gas in the carb. I'll check, then clean or replace, the FF. The saw is unusually clean (as in grunge) for it's age. All the hoses & such that I could easily reach seem is good shape. I get the impression that someone worked on the top end. Who knows, maybe a little KISS TLC is all it needs.

The choke lever (part 12620) is broken, but it's also quite flimsy IMO. I might try to rig something more sturdy, although I prefer original parts.

The Astros aren't giving run support to any of our pitchers, at least not on the road. Basically we have way below average team backing a major league all-star pitching staff. Looks like it's time for some of the old timers to go, but there are no decent players in the farm system. A lot of folks forget that the Astros got lucky last year; they could've very easily missed the playoffs.

I'm getting headache listening to myself :p , or maybe too much coffee :dizzy: .

Anyone with a trashed Homelite 550 that

has the carb on it? I've had no luck on eBayware, & I'm not ready to buy a new one. Would like to work out a trade if you need something for a Stihl 009 or 011, or a Jonsered 670 or 801/90. I also have a Jred 70, but I'm still on the fence regarding parting it out (my apologies, OSA).

Yes, this is a shameless bump.

Chris,
Is there any other models of saws that run that size of carb? I have not forgot to get you a check. Shouold go out in the mail monday. Been a nightmare around here with good weather. Got alot of fence built (whole weeks worth of driveing post and running wire) and all the crops in. Getting geared up for doing hay next.
Later
Bob

Bob, I haven't been able to find any info as to if any other saws or whatever use the same carb, & I've looked at more carburetor sites than I'd care to remember. ANYONE KNOW A GOOD SITE/SOURCE FOR CARB CROSSREFERENCING? The Walbro website wasn't much help, & I haven't looked for a Homelite website (duh me). Am now wondering if Craftsman relabelled the 550 as well, thinking maybe I could pull the carb, handle, & choke lever from a parts saw (not another parts saw!).

There's a thread here that has instructions for doing your own high speed jet, but I'm not ready to go that far.

All that talk about farm work has me envious; I'm getting a serious itch to get out of the city. Maybe just a midlife crisis (wait, isn't that supposed to involve a convertabile Corvette & women half my age?).

Last edited:
Knot Whole said:
...I'm getting a serious itch to get out of the city. Maybe just a midlife crisis (wait, isn't that supposed to involve a convertabile Corvette & women half my age?).

Nothing wrong with getting out of the city in a Corvette with a woman half your age! The car can always be traded in on a tractor and some city women can be trained to do farm work.

Sounds like a good plan, but I don't know about trading in the Vette since I'd definately want to get the car loan in my wife's name (he, he, he).

Now why on earth do I find the idea of running off with a younger woman & sticking my wife with the car note so wickedly funny? I wouldn't do that. I wouldn't do that. I wouldn't do that. I wouldn't do that. I wouldn't do that.

Hey Chris,
We will be baleing small square bales of hay next week. Nice hard work there. Going to try to do about 45 acres in a week. About half willg o into the barn in small squares the other round bales. But, any way its made I get to cut it all rake it then bale it. Going to be a long week.
I will check to see what is setting around here for saws with carbs on them. I do have one you would have to make a adapter plate to use. But, just might be a tad big. I will post the size of it after chores tonight.
Later
Bob

Thanks for the responses, guys. I've been busy with in-laws from Scotland & England for the past week & a half.

Am still interested in a trade for/purchase of fully adjustable carb for a Homelite 550.

I have a DM50 parts saw on Ebay if anyone's interested. its not complete, but there are parts there.

oldsaw-addict said:
Yep, what I can find of the saw anyways. there are a few good parts in there though.

OSA,

Is this the same saw you posted for sale earlier

You posted

Homelite DM50 for sale
I'm cleaning out my shop now, since I'm moving into a new home soon, so its time to clean out the shop.
The DM 50 has only 2 thing wrong with it that I know of, one is the piston rings are worn out, the second is that the ignition coild is bad in it.
I'm asking abour $125-200 for this saw, I will ship it ONLY to the 48 states since this beast wieghs about 30 pounds. shipping is not included in the price of purchase.
The saw is fully assembled right now, with a new fuel filter and fuel pickup line in it, and I have also cleaned the saw inside and out as best I can with the tools available to me. Its not a bad deal for a project saw, I know someone has a need for this unit, I dont anymore.

Well, now its just plain got me annoyed, and I dont want to look at it sitting on the shelf anymore. its just a useless thing to me now, so its gotta go somehow, if it doesnt sell, I'm gonna either go crazy and throw it under the tire of my truck, or I'll just give it to whoever wants it for the cost of shipping. now if my friend would get his $h!t together and get his own place we could live together and have the room to keep these things, and my house is a sardine can. and I have no shed thanks very much to the hurricanes.

Back