Hanging Up Climbing Gear For Good

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Kenna,

I know how you feel but I think maybe you've layed your playing hand down without soliciting enough options.

As JPS has said, other medical opinions are a good thing. I'm alive because of several doctors, would be dead if I believed just one. Even with total degredation of bone joints there are many alternatives to surgeries.

If your life's been equated to your business, as you state, your experience alone is a commodity that shouldn't retire if and when you do. It's also okay to lesson the load, to reduce the hours you climb and find a good kid with ambition to mentor. We all age, some faster than others and this profession tends to tax our bodies more than say, some stockbroker on Wall Street. I often wonder about retirees who can leave their job and never again practice the years of activities or experience and contribute beyond their punch-clock obligations unless they absolutely detested their work. We're different, this what we do is something a bit more involving, perhaps artistic even and that's why you probably feel remorseful about "hanging it up".

I felt like you do when a truck pulled into my line of speed and made the highway a blood soaked, twisted metallic war zone they had to cut me out of and mop me up from. No way could I imagine the climb again until I realized my attitude was impeding my recovery, so I made it my goal. Four years later and I'm a climbing fool and it hurts me more if I don't climb. Good pain, good sweat, and if I ever HAVE to quit, my son's going to be my only hope of immortality.

I would've given anything to have found and connected with a wise and experienced 'ol fart with soul full of feelings about the business many years ago when I started out on my own.

My friend Oakwilt wrote:

I would've given anything to have found and connected with a wise and
experienced 'ol fart with soul full of feelings about the business many years ago
when I started out on my own.

This is one of the incredible things that we have write at our finger tips. This, and other, discussion forums put passionate climbers in touch with each other. I'm with you, Reed, in our later years here we are both envious of the climbers who are just coming into this profession. I don't envy youth, I do envy another chance to have a longer and healthier career.

I sure hope that Mr. Cut em up sticks around. After all, our snarls are worse than our bites...er...bytes!

Time for Law and Order...

Tom

Last edited:
Tom, you`re brilliant!
I was calling him cute mup and was thinking ...
it`s little wonder the guys are picking on him. :D

Wow. I dont evn want to think about injury ending my climbing career. Been climbing since I was in high school...which isnt THAT long ago...just a few years but I love my job and always have. Couldnt imagine having a doc tell me I was through. Good Luck to you on whatever the outcome is.

P.S. You think you got the "mean" treatment as a newcomer? Hah! Some of these guys were calling me gump my first two weeks here! Hell, a couple still do.:rolleyes:

You will like the site though. I have enjoyed talkin to these guys. You can learn a lot here.

Back