Hankow Willow Tree corkscrew

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zzdanielle

Reaction score
I have a Hankow Willow tree approx. 12 feet high that I trimmed in the Spring, maybe trimmed too much. Now leaves have only grown on half of the tree vertically. One side looks good, the other side nothing. Down at the bottom of the trunk seems to be all the leaves growing that are usually growing up the tree. Should I remove all these leaves on the lower trunk? Can I cut this tree down to about 5 feet and maybe it will all come back next spring. If I cut off only the dead branches I will be left with half a tree.

Thank you for any help you can give.

danielle :)

Dani - what is dead is dead, I am probably too south to help you....

Salix nigra is about the only willow here.

What do you hope to gain by leaving dead on the tree?? No resurrection will happen. Do break the branches to see if the are graveyard dead, dry and crisp, or alive, green and moist.

@ less than 12 feet, it is more of a shrub mgmt than tree mgmt.

Keep checking back here - someone will chime in eventually... :rolleyes:

Best-o-luck

N

Last edited:
You are probaby a little far north to be very successful growing this tree. The top may have died out because of root damage from freezing temps.
In any event, you can cut the dead limbs out and the tree will fill back in. The lower leaves should be left on for now, as it starts to recover you may need to do some thinning or raising on those limbs. Those new shoots will become some of the limbs that eventually fill in the hole from the dead limbs.
To see if a limb is dead, simply scratch the bark with your fingernail and look for green. If there is no green, you can cut it out.

Back