Harbor Freight Chain Grinder On Sale

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
spacemule said:
Has anyone else ever noticed that the vast majority of absolutes are given by those who are just a few grunts short of a ****? ;)

Hey, you once said "statistics are made up 70% of the time"...:cheers:

(By the way, there are carbon steels (alloys) that will 'work harden' just from the heat of cutting them by hand with a hack saw.)

Wow, another AS member who has circumvented the laws of physics (in this case physical metalurgy). Work hardening by heating - this new phenomenon, if proven, is worthy of a Nobel Prize. You may want to forward this to the guys at MIT as they are probably not aware of it presently.

This reminds me of that famous saying "A fool and his knowledge are soon parted"

coveredinsap said:
Anytime you create sparks you are ruining the hardness of whatever you are grinding. In other words, these grinding gizmos are not only shortening the life of the chain by removing more material then necessary, they are also ruining the hardness of the teeth and making the chain dull quicker.

In essence, these types of grinders (all of them) are garbage if you care about your chains.

K.........I'm back........Buffalo won in OT:clap: :clap:

Space, anyone with a handle like that is still cool in my books :cheers:

Oh, I noticed we were gettin a bit off topic, hence the quote:hmm3grin2orange:

Big Woody said:
Wow, another AS member who has circumvented the laws of physics (in this case physical metalurgy). Work hardening by heating - this new phenomenon, if proven, is worthy of a Nobel Prize. You may want to forward this to the guys at MIT as they are probably not aware of it presently.

This reminds me of that famous saying "A fool and his knowledge are soon parted"

Jeez Woody, I totaly missed that Moronic coment re. work hardening by heating:bang: :bang: :bang: :bang: :bang: but, thanks for bringin it up, good post:cheers:

stihlatit said:

Heavens no!!!!! That doesn't even scratch the surface, no mention of m-2 or m-42, let alone the newer tool steels that have come out. Then the lower qaulities of hardness such as enkinel and Ti and the list goes on. Without even getting into the "special blends" . We machined snubber pads in the late '80's for kc-135's that used a mix of nickel, alumuninum, bronze and magnesium, talk about a bugger to machine!!!! Didn't know if it was going to gald the cutter up or work harden first, if it didn't flame up in between!!
Work hardening with a hacksaw is possible, it must be really dull and moving a very high feed rate, but possible.
Andy

sawinredneck said:
Heavens no!!!!! That doesn't even scratch the surface, no mention of m-2 or m-42, let alone the newer tool steels that have come out. Then the lower qaulities of hardness such as enkinel and Ti and the list goes on. Without even getting into the "special blends" . We machined snubber pads in the late '80's for kc-135's that used a mix of nickel, alumuninum, bronze and magnesium, talk about a bugger to machine!!!! Didn't know if it was going to gald the cutter up or work harden first, if it didn't flame up in between!!
Work hardening with a hacksaw is possible, it must be really dull and moving a very high feed rate, but possible.
Andy

OK I was holding out a little here this should quench your thirst on the small changes in alloy mix.

Re. steel.............I've been designing some dies lately that will be stamping "Dual Phase" material, mainly for large structural components like "A" pillars & lower sills. This stuff actually increases in tensile strength as it crumples in a crash!! The tool must be designed to draw (stretch) the material to a specific t. value or the component isn't strong enough to begin with. The main problem with it is if you don't form to full depth with your first hit, it's too hard to work with in the latter stages of the transfer / prog. die.
Facinating how far steel has evolved.

I am supriesd more of the automotive industry hasn't moved to the "exotics" sooner, yes it's pricey, but the more it is used the cheaper it will be for all, know what I mean? Audi is the only one so far with enough balls to use aluminum to any extent, if it's good enough for a 727 why not in youre "Vista cruiser" too?
Andy

Back